Initial annoyances - Do you have the same ?

Hi,

Let's be clear first : my 2 weeks old Kodiaq is a very pleasant car to drive and live with.

But there I have a few initial annoyances / claims  ... nothing major but annoying (not to say pains in the neck !)  :-)

Do you have the same or others ? Any fixes ? 

1) Poor design of the key - hatch opens on its own when the key is in my pocket (never happened for the last 12 years with previous model VW keys in my pocket). Happens under rain, in my garage, everywhere, leaving the car wide open in the city  ! And of course, de-activates the alarm !

(Temporary ?) fix : ordered a key case...

2) Eco mode doesn't resume after engine being switched off - have to reselect the mode every time using the car

Potential fix : software upgrade ?

3) Various bugs of the infotainment system (impossible to change sound volume, random interruptions in the sound when playing from the jukebox...)

Switching off and on the system usually fixes the problem, but I hope a software upgrade will fix them permanently.

4) Data connection from phone (rsap protocol) : stopped working with no particular reason - couldn't yet get it back to work.

5) Skoda connect zone notifications don't always work as advertised (yesterday, went 100km out of my alert area and got...nothing !

6) Screen and piano black buttons look dirty after the slightest touch...

On 04/11/2017 at 01:25, Michel4632 said:

#3: when you use the GPS and mute the instructions, the system still mutes the music when an vocal instruction would come if they weren't silenced! That looks like a real bug! 

Thats strange the Columbus system doesn't seem to do that in ours

None of those affect mine.

The only annoyances I can think of are: can't activate Google assistant (voice control) without touching phone when connected over Bluetooth, no gesture control in Android Auto, Columbus voice control is abysmal.

Yes, normal cruise control uses the light stalk.  Adaptive cruise control however, has it's own stalk below the light/indicator stalk.  This is also the same on the Seat and VW's that I have seen as well as skodas.  My superb had the third stalk, yet my friends Seat Ateca has normal cruise and controls are on the indicator stalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roo said:

Yes, normal cruise control uses the light stalk.  Adaptive cruise control however, has it's own stalk below the light/indicator stalk.  This is also the same on the Seat and VW's that I have seen as well as skodas.  My superb had the third stalk, yet my friends Seat Ateca has normal cruise and controls are on the indicator stalk.

If I'd known that I'd have spec'd adaptive, thank you for the reply.

• 4 weeks later...

None of the above happening to me, biggest bugbear has been that my Skoda Connect connection seemed to vanish. I've managed to get it back by resetting the system and setting it up again from scratch. My other gripe is that on the Home Screen you can see a couple of favourite phone contacts. These are in little squares that look like they should hold a photo but I can't find a way to get the photos in there. The contacts have photos in the phone and if I look at the contacts list in the car I can see the photos there too. Very odd. I also find it strange that I have to upload radio station IDs from an SD card. What's the point in a car having an internet connection if it can't find simple stuff like that for itself?

Just now, DaveMiller said:

Mine does load the station ID by itself.  It's a choice, somewhere in the radio settings.

I actually found that setting tonight when I was transferring in some station IDs from an SD Card - and I've got it ticked so that it should download automatically! Very strange.

two months in and the only very slight bug bear with ours is the engine start stop kicks in a touch too early when you pull up to a junction so if its clear theres a a delay as the engine kicks in again.

On 03/12/2017 at 19:58, foxy367 said:

two months in and the only very slight bug bear with ours is the engine start stop kicks in a touch too early when you pull up to a junction so if its clear theres a a delay as the engine kicks in again.

You will get used to controlling the S/S with the amount of pressure on the brake pedal - it is relatively easy to keep the engine running by maintaining a light pressure on the brake pedal

Recently I’ve noticed that one headlamp wash cover plate doesn’t re-seat properly every time.

Not a show stopper.

And I think the wind noise past the driver’s door is a bit more than it should be. I may try tightening the door latch a bit.

Can’t be bothered moaning to dealer as he’d just say “leave it with us”. No chance!

DE408BC2-C159-4550-9591-732726C71F04.jpeg

10 hours ago, Michel4632 said:

I've noticed the same about the headlight wash cover plate on several occasions, while not all: sometimes it goes back oin place on its own. 

Ditto

I wouldn't leave it, the part itself isn't a huge amount of money, but if it dislodges and is lost the effort of getting one primed and painted would a whole lot more hassle.

Annoying really, the early MkIII Octavia's suffered with the exact same issue, shame Skoda haven't managed to fix the problem.

Ours has taken to losing its mind - some days you'll get in and the radio will have lost all its  DAB presets, or the seat and mirrors will go to some random position that neither my wife nor I would ever select: the three seat memory spaces having been lost to the ether.

Car manufacturers are going to have to up their software development game. Bugs like this and the way drive mode forgets to put the box into eco mode on startup smell of shoddy agile-driven projects. I shudder to think what would happen if aviation software was developed in this way. 

6 minutes ago, dcl5ad said:

Ours has taken to losing its mind - some days you'll get in and the radio will have lost all its  DAB presets, or the seat and mirrors will go to some random position that neither my wife nor I would ever select: the three seat memory spaces having been lost to the ether.

Car manufacturers are going to have to up their software development game. Bugs like this and the way drive mode forgets to put the box into eco mode on startup smell of shoddy agile-driven projects. I shudder to think what would happen if aviation software was developed in this way. 

I confirm the random loss of DAB presets... I've not (yet ?) come through the seat memory issues...

Regarding the quality of the software, I fully agree. It is not limited to the infotainment system : Traffic jam assist is a total piece of crap. Unusable.

In addition (this may not appear in the English version), the French translation of the user manual, the GPS instructions and the vocal commands is of very poor quality. I am in this business, and I know exactly how easy it is to be fooled by these large multinational multilingual translation offices which charge a lot to the client and then hand the job over to underpaid underqualified translators. And even if the translators were to be good, they are not provided with enough context, and even not with all the segments that are needed to understand in which system the translation will be used.

I still don't regret having bought a Kodiaq, but I still laugh about the "near premium" comments that have been fed to journalist who have been invited free of charge to a paradisiac island (with no significant traffic !) to test the car in optimal conditions...

Yeah i love our Kodiaq, some of the bugs are endearing - the auto-translated manual is on occasion very funny. I particularly like the way skoda builds the indexes: the whole column starting "vehicle". Vehicle, really? I thought a car manual was going to focus on tumble drier operation. :wondering: There's another index header marked "Storing" with one sub-section "seats". WTAF? Who proof reads this crap? At least its better than the manual on our Yeti and my Dad's Superb which had indexes for "IF". IF the end of the world happens....265

Your issue with the key: yes have seen that. I saw it open all the windows while washing it one day. Or lock itself if I bend down to pick something up.

Data connection through a phone is rubbish. But marginally better than on my abarth, which needs an app to work as proxy. The app that you have to log in to every time it loads. So starting the car goes like this: Unlock car, Start car, unlock phone, load app, log in to app, check that car has connected to phone. Perhaps drive off, unless you've forgotten your password again.

On both the abarth and the kodiaq traffic re-routing is junk. On one journey up from london I reckon it deliberately aimed itself at traffic jams. I wrote a review on here with some more of my grumblings

I'm thinking that the way drive defaults from eco to normal, when you restart, may be deliberate, rather than a software error.

Firstly, the handbook says it does that.

Mainly, though, it may be to ensure safety. Note that the other aspects of "eco" mode remain as set for eco; it's just the drive (throttle/gear) settings that move back from "E" to "D".  Why is this safer?  Well, imagine that it DID stay in eco:

you are the normal driver, you always use "normal", and you've got used to the way the car responds.  You set off, happily driving gently along in fairly busy traffic and then need to overtake a slowmoving tractor and long hay-bale trailer.  You spot a gap, fairly tight but - from your experience - entirely do-able with medium throttle.  You take the opportunity ...

Forgetting that someone else drove it last night. And they left it in "eco".  The car doesn't respond as you expect, and that oncoming lorry is getting closer!

Yes, the car will still give you full power if you use "kickdown", but you've launched it into the danger zone without using kickdown, it may take a while for you to respond by doing that, and in any case there may not be room now, having entered the gap too gently.

What do you think?

Sure, no doubt it is deliberate...

So deliberate that I have given up using the eco mode... but OK, that's my choice.

They could have used a gentle reminder at startup, a kind of warning, perhaps...

While I can live with this one, I'm much more deterred by the systems that do not work as advertised or as they obviously should, such as the unsusable  traffic jam assist, the orange turn signal blinking one inch away from the orange blind spot warning, the radio randomly loosing all presets, the key opening wide the tailgate under heavy rain while the car is parked outside your meeting room (with your 1000£ golf bag offered to anyone of course) etc.

All of these could have been identified and fixed for practically no money from the feedback of real beta users (instead of exhibiting a few cars on a sunny island).

I find this to be quite a lot for a "near premium" car.

Edited by Michel4632

sorry wrong post !!!

the text refers to the ‘’NOISE’’ post

Hi guys 

It  seems like an electrovalve coil . There is a lot of electrovalves regulating the cooling water flow , the steering wheel hydraulic fluid pressure etc.

I owned before a couple of years a Polo tsi. It made exact the same ckinking noise its 10 secs at idle .

Edited by emanon

On 11/9/2017 at 10:10, oliverreed2 said:

Cruise control should have its own stalk and shouldn't be integrated with the indicator/headlight stalk.

Other VAG cars have their own stalks, back and forward turn off cruise or return to previous set speed, up/down +5/-5 mph

adaptive cruise control on the SEL has a separate stalk.

1. Not being able to permanently turn off the Stop/Start.

2. Same problem with boot opening on its own.

3. No adjustable boot floor on the 5 seat SEL

4. ACC seems to occasionally do odd things like detecting the vehicle in the next outside lane of a Motorway as being in the same lane as the car and reacting accordingly.

5, No tow bar available on some models.

6, over complex menu system

7 ditto nav system. why does it lose favorite destinations after an update? It is also very slow my old garmin beats it easily.

8. Voice control instructions  for infotainment only available online and these are petty poor.