Head unit upgrade

Hello,

ive an 09 facelift Octavia VRS with a bolero head unit without a maxi dot. I would like to upgrade the stereo with a skoda unit so it looks factory. Im

confused with other models.

i would like DAB, Bluetooth phone and audio stream.

Can anyone advise me which unit I need? 

Thanks.

I'm going to watch this with interest as I've just got my first Skoda (2013 Scout) with Bolero head unit. I too would love to have bluetooth and phone connectivity and, ideally, be able to use Android Auto on the main screen so that I don't have to have my phone wobbling around on the air-vents. Let's see what advice you can give.

20 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Hello,

ive an 09 facelift Octavia VRS with a bolero head unit without a maxi dot. I would like to upgrade the stereo with a skoda unit so it looks factory. Im

confused with other models.

i would like DAB, Bluetooth phone and audio stream.

Can anyone advise me which unit I need? 

Thanks.

If you want Bluetooth and DAB then your only options are...

Skoda Amundsen + (make sure the one you buy has both functions as not all units have either).

Skoda Columbus with DAB and a seperate Bluetooth module.

On 11/4/2017 at 17:27, Rustynuts said:

Skoda Columbus with DAB and a seperate Bluetooth module.

OP's car is sans MaxiDot. I thought you needed that for BT to work?

Fraggle, to expand Mr Nuts post a little:

DAB Columbus and a BT module is the expensive option. But you do get what you pay for: better navigation, better headunit overall, the ability to upgrade the maps, er, oh, um, let's just say "cheaper" than Amundsen+ ;)

Amundsen+ does have variations on a theme: DAB is optional as is BT. DAB is recognised (and on Columbus) by a round black connector in the top left corner when you look at the back on the unit. BT is recognised by a MAC on the side of the unit, it *must*  be something other than 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (8 lots of 00). But, even then, it *may* require coding as it seems that many had the module on-board, but for reasons known only to Skoda, it was disabled (easily re-enabled by VCDS though). Amundsen+ is cheaper than Columbus though, verily much so, but updates are around £200 a go and the navigation isn't quite as good. (Although it is still good, it's just not as good. i.e. it's not cr@p)

Both would need a mic installed (up into the reading light unit above the interior mirror (that's what the grille is for), and DAB aerial (About £20 for a good one). The BT for Columbus will need an aerial too.....I didn't try mine without it, so I don't know how much of a *need* it is.

Both units come in VW/SEAT guises, and they are functionally identical. They come with startup logos for that branding and the menus and buttons are usually red instead of Skoda green. (Columbus is RNS510 and Amundsen+ is RNS315) Oddly Skoda branded ones seem to be more expensive than VW/SEAT ones.

When buying, always always always make sure you get the 4-digit security code. You can have them decoded/recoded, but that's more time with your new toy away from you. Try and get one with the GPS unit included, otherwise that's another £5

And, lastly, if I recall, you'll need a new fascia for the center console: price varies on finish and what kit you have.

Other options are available, I believe Kenwood do a good unit that fits and works just like OE.

12 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Depends. Some work just on the head unit as far as I'm aware. Although I don't profess to be an expert on Bluetooth kits as there's many different ones with different specifications.

Oh okies. I know I needed MaxiDot on mine (Columbus/3C8..730E) but that may have been down to needing the PolarFIS+ too ;)

Could just end up being a money-pit with all these upgrades ;) ;) ;)