My first 3 months experience

I’ve been following many threads in particular the dreaded emissions fix and here is my experience 

having researched for weeks , I finally found what I thought was the right car for me and bought from an independent dealer over 100 miles away.

superb cr 170 dsg estate with pan roof , two years old but with high mileage (83k). The dealer let me test drive the car alone and fortunately for me I found the business card of the previous owner on the sun visor. I used this golden opportunity to call him and get the rundown on the car and it’s history which was all good . I drove the car home and was really impressed apart from a really annoying whirring / bearing noise which was there between 65 and 85 mph. Having experienced this before on my mondeo , I changed all four tyres but noise still there . A week later , I drove the 100 miles back to the dealer who loaned me a car and told me the car would go into the skoda main dealer for investigation and repair at their cost . I instructed them to make sure that skoda didn’t do the emissions update . 

A week later , I collected the car direct from the skoda dealer , I asked about emissions fix and was told that it hadn’t been done because I had to sign for it which obviously I hadn’t. The noise turned out to be a wheel bearing and I drove away in a much quieter car.

fast forward a couple of months and I came to the conclusion that the car just didn’t feel quite right, vibration at low revs, only 43 mpg indicated and frequent regens. Yes , you guessed it !! The damn emmisons fix sticker was firmly stuck in the spare wheel well!!

After lengthy discussions with the skoda dealer who told me it hadn’t been done, they then advised me that it had and apologised but they did have a signature from the guy that dropped the car off ( the dealer who I bough car from)

they said that if I had any problems then skoda offer a warranty for any emmison related parts , egr etc.

i decided that I wouldn’t get anywhere by complaining and have taken it on the chin with the hope that skoda honour the warranty should anything fail.

so, two days ago, I’m nearly home from a 100 mile round trip and the ****ing emissions warning light comes on ! I phoned my local dealer who advised me to ring Skoda assist who would recover the vehicle and provide me with a hire car . ( I didn’t even realise that I was covered because of the mileage).

The guy arrived at my home , plugged his laptop in and the fault code was throttle position sensor. He then proceeded to remove the throttle body . He told me that the butterfly valve had  the most amount of carbon deposits on it that he’d ever seen and took a photograph of it lol . He cleaned it up and also did a modification which involved turning a nozzle around by 180 degrees which apparently is a service bulletin fix. 

Ive now driven 200 plus miles since and the car is transformed , the mpg has increased , the vibration at low revs has gone and it now feels like 170 bhp.

im finally happy .

sorry for the waffle but there’s nothing on TV 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skodavid said:

He cleaned it up and also did a modification which involved turning a nozzle around by 180 degrees which apparently is a service bulletin fix.

Interesting - might be time for me to sign on to erWin again to have a look for that.

I just dug out the TPI from erWin for this. The TPI reference is 2047723/1, issued 2017-05-17. It involves turning the EGR pipe connection to the inlet manifold around by 180 degrees. It's recommended for any issues with the throttle body getting coked up.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2017 at 21:55, Skodavid said:

I’ve been following many threads in particular the dreaded emissions fix and here is my experience 

having researched for weeks , I finally found what I thought was the right car for me and bought from an independent dealer over 100 miles away.

superb cr 170 dsg estate with pan roof , two years old but with high mileage (83k). The dealer let me test drive the car alone and fortunately for me I found the business card of the previous owner on the sun visor. I used this golden opportunity to call him and get the rundown on the car and it’s history which was all good . I drove the car home and was really impressed apart from a really annoying whirring / bearing noise which was there between 65 and 85 mph. Having experienced this before on my mondeo , I changed all four tyres but noise still there . A week later , I drove the 100 miles back to the dealer who loaned me a car and told me the car would go into the skoda main dealer for investigation and repair at their cost . I instructed them to make sure that skoda didn’t do the emissions update . 

A week later , I collected the car direct from the skoda dealer , I asked about emissions fix and was told that it hadn’t been done because I had to sign for it which obviously I hadn’t. The noise turned out to be a wheel bearing and I drove away in a much quieter car.

fast forward a couple of months and I came to the conclusion that the car just didn’t feel quite right, vibration at low revs, only 43 mpg indicated and frequent regens. Yes , you guessed it !! The damn emmisons fix sticker was firmly stuck in the spare wheel well!!

After lengthy discussions with the skoda dealer who told me it hadn’t been done, they then advised me that it had and apologised but they did have a signature from the guy that dropped the car off ( the dealer who I bough car from)

they said that if I had any problems then skoda offer a warranty for any emmison related parts , egr etc.

i decided that I wouldn’t get anywhere by complaining and have taken it on the chin with the hope that skoda honour the warranty should anything fail.

so, two days ago, I’m nearly home from a 100 mile round trip and the ****ing emissions warning light comes on ! I phoned my local dealer who advised me to ring Skoda assist who would recover the vehicle and provide me with a hire car . ( I didn’t even realise that I was covered because of the mileage).

The guy arrived at my home , plugged his laptop in and the fault code was throttle position sensor. He then proceeded to remove the throttle body . He told me that the butterfly valve had  the most amount of carbon deposits on it that he’d ever seen and took a photograph of it lol . He cleaned it up and also did a modification which involved turning a nozzle around by 180 degrees which apparently is a service bulletin fix. 

Ive now driven 200 plus miles since and the car is transformed , the mpg has increased , the vibration at low revs has gone and it now feels like 170 bhp.

im finally happy .

sorry for the waffle but there’s nothing on TV 

If the map hasn't been rolled back yet I would recommend it. I went to Shark Performance in Mansfield which is close to you. £120 all in. 

Edited by matnrach

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 02:49, chimaera said:

I just dug out the TPI from erWin for this. The TPI reference is 2047723/1, issued 2017-05-17. It involves turning the EGR pipe connection to the inlet manifold around by 180 degrees. It's recommended for any issues with the throttle body getting coked up.

Thanks for that. Is there a link for the TPI we can read or does it require a subscription of some kind? 

Thanks

Matt

erwin 
It costs about £7 a hour but you can a lot of data for your car in that  hour including printing rights so you could get the whole manual for your carB)

12 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Thanks for that. Is there a link for the TPI we can read or does it require a subscription of some kind? 

Thanks

Matt

Edited by DEL80Y
more info
  • Like 3