New or Old !

Gregorry

Hello 

So I had that conversation with few people now and was wondering whats your opinions . 

Deciding of getting a new car would you go newer or older . 

Car this days are not the same as they where few year back , home maintenance and other things are taken from us users . 

So whats your opinion and why please . 

I'll start 

my 2007 astra broke down and decided to take a loan and get a 2011 octavia model thinking newer= better , now Im noticing some problems , canbus , dpf , car electronic ETC , so im not sure if I made the right decision , love how it drives and looks in and out , but thats not all what it counts in owning a car . 

Let see  what you think .

Thanks

You need a garage that you can really trust. To cut a long story short I had some work that was "recommended" on a print out with prices. I took this to my garage that I now use, he said that he could halve the stated prices so I left the car with them. 2 hours later he rang me to inform me that most of the "recommended " was not needed. He could have done the "recommended" work and I would not be any the wiser.....Instant trust built :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

In over 40 years of driving I've never had a new car:o I think the nearest to a new car I've owned was just over 5 years old, my currant car is 17 years old. :o I've always saved up and bought cars outright, I've never had a loan or a lease for a car it's just not my way of buying cars, I don't want to be a slave to monthly payments. I've been saving up haphazardly for a couple of years now for a new....ish car and these Skoda Superb's look very nice indeed. 

I need to get one sooner rather than later as the 'bank of mam & dad' keeps taking a hit :angry::biggrin:

I've always done all my own mechanics / welding / spraying / electrics in a big garage I have but I'm getting to the age where I don't want to be lying under cars repairing them anymore. Today's new cars are a different ball game altogether technically. I've got a couple of OBDll diagnostic tools that I've used before on other cars to read codes/re-set stuff etc but that's as much tech stuff I've ever done, so I'm doing some research in this forum to gain knowledge of them.:)

I get sick of paying for constant repairs on old motors so we've bought new for the last 20 years.

Its all about the price.

Buy new, for a guarantee and reliability, but buy smart. 

Don't focus on a particular make and model.

Set your budget and your essential features (and desirable/nice to haves) then go see what's out there on the net.

I've done all these:

1. If there's a facelift happening, buy the dealer stock of the old one and get 1000's off. (30% off RRP in my case)

- I saw 24k pre facelift Insignias punted out the dealerships at 13k at Xmas 2013.

2. Find the car that fits your needs and make your local dealer price match the cheapest in the country or no sale.  (24% off RRP)

3. Buy pre-reg zero miles from stock.  (19% off)

4. Look out for crazy sale bargains on new cars (42% off  one of our current pair)(and 33% off the other one)

5. Buy a 6/12 month old one from a car supermarket (32%)

Search auto trader for cars with mileage under 100 miles (or 500 miles) to find all the demo and pre-reg bargains (and some brand new offers).

Happy hunting.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I get sick of paying for constant repairs on old motors so we've bought new for the last 20 years.

Its all about the price.

Buy new, for a guarantee and reliability, but buy smart. 

Don't focus on a particular make and model.

Set your budget and your essential features (and desirable/nice to haves) then go see what's out there on the net.

I've done all these:

1. If there's a facelift happening, buy the dealer stock of the old one and get 1000's off. (30% off RRP in my case)

- I saw 24k pre facelift Insignias punted out the dealerships at 13k at Xmas 2013.

2. Find the car that fits your needs and make your local dealer price match the cheapest in the country or no sale.  (24% off RRP)

3. Buy pre-reg zero miles from stock.  (19% off)

4. Look out for crazy sale bargains on new cars (42% off  one of our current pair)(and 33% off the other one)

5. Buy a 6/12 month old one from a car supermarket (32%)

Search auto trader for cars with mileage under 100 miles (or 500 miles) to find all the demo and pre-reg bargains (and some brand new offers).

Happy hunting.

Thank you camelspyyder I'll take that on board. I've got to the stage now after decades of working on / restoring old cars that I've had enough, I don't mind doing the servicing stuff but I just want to turn the key & drive them nowadays, the minds willing but the body isn't listening anymore, who knew how hard it is to look for a newer car these days when you're not sure what or which model you want, I'm not a lover of small cars (nowt wrong with them it's just that I personally like larger cars) the Skoda Superb looks very comfy & roomy for my needs.

Edited by lancpudn