1.6TDI CR - Upgraded air filter???

Any good options for this engine regarding air filters / air intakes? I am more interested in replacing the round filter with a high flow filter as I feel it might be better for my car since its remap. Plus I want to get a bit more intake whooosh

I have seen a pipercross round filter on ebay? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIPERCROSS-AIR-FILTER-PX1819-AUDI-A1-SEAT-IBIZA-Mk5-1-2-1-4-TSI-1-6-TDI/162686667023?epid=1793078751&hash=item25e0e1890f:g:kQsAAOSwaOxZsFe3

Edited by JGrindel

I have a cone K&N and it made no difference in terms of power, sound or economy. Mine is remapped to.  If you replace it with an upgraded air intake chances are you will be sucking in hot air from the engine. Another note, my k&n filter has covered my MAF sensor with oil residues. I had to take it out and clean it. Also there's no wooosh as the filter case is covering it all so no sound is coming out.

My honest opinion? I don't think it's worth the hassle at all. The only person that will know you have an upgraded filter will be you and your bank account.  But probably this won't stop you from buying one, just like me :)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bertie90 said:

I have a cone K&N and it made no difference in terms of power, sound or economy. Mine is remapped to.  If you replace it with an upgraded air intake chances are you will be sucking in hot air from the engine. Another note, my k&n filter has covered my MAF sensor with oil residues. I had to take it out and clean it. Also there's no wooosh as the filter case is covering it all so no sound is coming out.

My honest opinion? I don't think it's worth the hassle at all. The only person that will know you have an upgraded filter will be you and your bank account.  But probably this won't stop you from buying one, just like me :)  

I still haven't invested in one. I wanted to see if they gave the whoosh noise but since someone who's done it says it doesn't I don't want to spend a tank of fuel on a filter that will not do much apart from look nice to whoever opens the air box. ty for your reply though! 

Are you still running a K&N filter or back to paper??

The upgraded air box I was looking for is like the VW racing one you see used in the 200BHP Yeti 1.6tdi build but the layout of that engine looks different to the fabia and also cant find it stocked anywhere for the 1.6tdi. 

16 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

I still haven't invested in one. I wanted to see if they gave the whoosh noise but since someone who's done it says it doesn't I don't want to spend a tank of fuel on a filter that will not do much apart from look nice to whoever opens the air box. ty for your reply though! 

Are you still running a K&N filter or back to paper??

The upgraded air box I was looking for is like the VW racing one you see used in the 200BHP Yeti 1.6tdi build but the layout of that engine looks different to the fabia and also cant find it stocked anywhere for the 1.6tdi. 

I still have the k&n filter and there's literally no woosh. A proper woosh is when you have a straight pipe exhaust system and that's coming from the turbo (you might already know this). The filter gives the engine a deep note sound. The cab sounds a lot louder, but not in a cool way more in a "it's broken" way. I found that out by lifting the airbox cover and laying it on the screws. After 10 min i put it how it was. 

This is my personal opinion, someone else might read this and say it's compete b*ll*x

On 08/11/2017 at 14:59, AMD87 said:

I’ve got a vRS intake and k&n on mine didn’t notice any noise difference 

88F2CFCB-D52E-45FE-9448-DE0AB292D3E2.jpeg

Whats the difference between the VRS intake and the standard one? Also do you think putting heat shielding on the intake helps reduce heat soak?

Edited by JGrindel

28 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Whats the difference between the VRS intake and the standard one? Also do you think putting heat shielding on the intake helps reduce heat soak?

It’s almost twice as wide and no idea :D

it’s close to a hot pipe so it’s really to keep the heat out from that. 

189BC78E-C3EF-44EE-8684-E7C0E15BA44E.jpeg

3 hours ago, AMD87 said:

It’s almost twice as wide and no idea :D

it’s close to a hot pipe so it’s really to keep the heat out from that. 

189BC78E-C3EF-44EE-8684-E7C0E15BA44E.jpeg

is it just the front portion of the intake thats the VRS (front bumper to the filter box) or is it the whole unit (bumper to turbo cold inlet)

1 minute ago, AMD87 said:

£17 for both 

Thats great!! Super cheap and I will believe it makes all the difference as there will be no dyno to prove!! The gold tape, is it a specific brand you used or just amazon / ebay tape? Wanted to cover my intercooler pipes to try and reflect the heat away from them plus it also looks nice. 

Edited by JGrindel

23 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Thats great!! Super cheap and I will believe it makes all the difference as there will be no dyno to prove!! The gold tape, is it a specific brand you used or just amazon / ebay tape? Wanted to cover my intercooler pipes to try and reflect the heat away from them plus it also looks nice. 

I use stuff from Funk Motorsport 

• Thanks 1

Well that didn’t go exactly as planned. Was a fiddly part to fit because of its size. It wouldn’t properly connect at each end but tapped over the connection points and checked for suction leaks and couldn’t feel any. This week will be the test I guess. 

Ty @AMD87 for the part numbers!

A2866F81-255F-4571-AA88-520B5A0F82BD.jpeg

Edited by JGrindel

7 hours ago, JGrindel said:

That makes a lot of sense!! it was a interesting fit!! Its all in now so will see how well it holds up. Going on a dyno next Saturday so will be able to see what its pushing. 

Has it been mapped? Let’s us know the results at 52k mines made 119bhp and 220ft lbs with just the vRS intake. 

Shod also join the Monte Carlo Facebook group too 

Edited by AMD87

Cars not a Monte Carlo ;) elegance model here... had better kit than the Monte and was cheaper!! Well was until I spent loads on the mods etc. 

Will do, it’s state 1 at the moment with estimated power of 145bhp and 230ft ilbs with stock intake. Will be interesting to see what it’s like with the VRS intake. 

Amazinf that yours produced just shy of 120bhp with the vrs intake and stock map! 

6 hours ago, AMD87 said:

You should still join :D and I was pretty surprised to although when I bought it I drove it straight to awesome gti where it made the stats on my profile so wondering if the extra 20k and vpower loosened it up abit. 

57BD6657-818A-4753-8D46-88FB46D76E9C.jpeg

Thats very impressive that it made that power, a good looking car with good power, what’s not to like!! 

I will be using shell v power on the dyno just to help and also going to give it a good blast before hand to clear the DPF! 

Does the VRs pipe have that giant plastic windbreak attached to the very front of the intake?  I noticed on my current one that half the inlet pipe where it attaches to the bumper seems to be blocked off!

when I had a Focus RS they had something similar, everyone seemed to take a Dremel to it (until someone's noticed that the automatic had a much bigger inlet because it had dreadful power, cue lots of "auto intake" purchases from ford parts).