Škoda Superb SportLine (ready to order)

Fwiw to the OP aside from my love hate relationship with my sportline due some ongoing issues the car looks tidy ( for a skoda ).

Looks

Comfort inside

Radar cruise

Huge luggage space

Nav system

Kessy when auto unlocking doors

Sunroof when not rattling itself to death

Dislikes:

Cumbersome dsg 

Sunroof rattle and creaking

Centre console made of tupperware

Super thin paint

Rotten looking brake hubs and calipers after 6000 miles

Poor xenon lights.

Each to their own though. Some owners like the idiosyncrasies of skoda. I do not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fiki said:

And you think esc makes 4x4 obsolete? Something doesn't make sense.

220 and 280 have same torque,which is 350NM. 190 diesel has 400NM.

I never said that. You are not reading my posts at all it seems. I never said 4x4 is bad to have or that its obsolete as you put it lol. ESC makes it even better, specially with electronic locking differential. I am only trying to state a fact that my problem is never with POWER distribution in the turn, but my tires losing grip. 4x4 always is better when adding power to the wheels (acceleration forces) because it distributes power instead of over 2 wheels over 4. So its easier to maximize efficiency of the tire. But if you come in a turn where you are already at the limit, FWD or 4x4 or RWD won't make ANY difference. Because in inner part of the turn, TIRES matter and not the power. Yes when you go out it does matter where you distribute power, but you need to get over the turn first. After the inner circle you put your foot on the acceleration and ofc 4x4 makes a nice good feeling turn, as it distributes power to inner wheels more than to outside. About snow, ice etc we should never discuss because that's obvious who the winner is.

ESC makes you feel safer. 4x4 is bit safer. But my whole point was that without ESC sport, You can't do any of that because ESC will limit power you put on the throttle. BECAUSE ITS NOT A SPORTS CAR! And the controllers etc are not built for SPORT driving mode. Unless you turn it on ^^. That goes same for SPORTLINE or STYLE or L&K. They all have same ESC. No variant settings.

I'm done discussing this because I hate being miss understood all the time.

P.S.: I don't understand your torque explanation... I was just thinking WTF is it supposed to mean? That's torque of the engine and has nothing to do with anything we're discussing? There is a transmission before the wheels...

8 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

This is great banter! A driver quotes "drives to the limit" "drives very fast" then announces his ride is a 140kW diesel. Is this skoda irony? 

Lets get one thing clear. A superb no matter what variety is no sports car. It was never designed as such. I have a 220 sportline. Feels quick in isolation but its not rapid. Its a big car to get moving along, but what the 220 has apart from more bhp than the 140kW diesel is just as much usable torque and it does not drone or vibrate. I can only deduce the 280 petrol has even more torque and is clearly what someone should have purchased instead of the "140 kW" diesel.

Diesel doesn't just have much lower consumption at fast driving (yes diesel vs petrol makes epic difference) it also has more torque at low RPM. My drive style is fast but I enjoy low rpm acceleration and 7l/100km at 200km/h+. Petrol on test drive I got to 10l/100km and I was driving slower than I usually am. Diesel is also much better to drive unless I would go with DSG. There is also thing thing about endurance. Every one knows diesels last longer. I do about 3500km a month. My hopes are to get this car to 300.000. I do trips to Germany often as well.

Again, most of the time I am talking about personal preference. We're different. Some people don't like Diesels sound, some don't like the way they shake, etc... My next car is going to be electric. But until then, Diesels all the way.

Edited by JackySi

@JackySi Well the fact is the same car (in this instance superb) will corner faster and safer with 4x4,and you stated that it doesn't make da difference. Well it does,FWD will understeer way easier,will suffer with wheelspin (in 190 tdi case) etc. When you enter corner too fast,you crash,no mater what drive you have. As far as driving "on the limit" goes,fact is "limit" is much higher with 4x4. 

The torque numbers were not ment for you,but the other member that mentioned 280 having more torque than 220.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think we all agree that 4x4 is better than FWD or RWD and that additional stability control measures are even better oin terms of supporting the car with different driving styles.

Back to the conversation, there seems to be a lack of consensus re rear wiper. I'll have to try to see one before I order car. Guy in dealership is away until next Wed so I can look around in the meantime.

Does anyone know if Skoda are by any chance going to introduce LED lights instead of xenon ones for 2018? It was thought that the FL introduced earlier in the year would have them similar to Octavia but they were clearly saving...

16 minutes ago, dubincalling said:

Does anyone know if Skoda are by any chance going to introduce LED lights instead of xenon ones for 2018? It was thought that the FL introduced earlier in the year would have them similar to Octavia but they were clearly saving...

Don't know to be honest but would not expect it at least until the facelift version later next year/2019

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3091/the-myth-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/adventure/red-line/the-myth-of-all-wheel-drive-and-why-it-can-be-a-deadly-trap/article26902236/
There is a good reason why not all cars are AWD. If it was soooo damn safe every damn car would be AWD. But they're not (now please blame the price... because that will be awesome to discuss further =) )

1 hour ago, dubincalling said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think we all agree that 4x4 is better than FWD or RWD and that additional stability control measures are even better oin terms of supporting the car with different driving styles.

Back to the conversation, there seems to be a lack of consensus re rear wiper. I'll have to try to see one before I order car. Guy in dealership is away until next Wed so I can look around in the meantime.

2019 model will probably be a facelift with new LED lights. But thats June/July 2018 nothing sooner. 2018 model is since July 2017.

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

There are good reasons that all cars in the world are not a Volkswagen, or a BMW, or front wheel drive or rear wheel drive or estate cars, 

or have 5 seats.

A reason that they do not all have All Season or All weather tyres and some have 75 ps and others 150ps, others have 300ps.

Its like why Vans, HGV's, Tractors, Cranes, Fork Lifts and even horses come in different sizes.

Horses for courses, need for speed or just transport, or to carry stuff or people or to tow / work.

Many with Four Wheel Drive or AWD or Part Time drive might think it a necessity & never need it but want it, and some need it and use it.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

There are good reasons that all cars in the world are not a Volkswagen, or a BMW, or front wheel drive or rear wheel drive or estate cars, 

or have 5 seats.

A reason that they do not all have All Season or All weather tyres and some have 75 ps and others 150ps, others have 300ps.

Its like why Vans, HGV's, Tractors, Cranes, Fork Lifts and even horses come in different sizes.

Horses for courses, need for speed or just transport, or to carry stuff or people or to tow / work.

Many with Four Wheel Drive or AWD or Part Time drive might think it a necessity & never need it but want it, and some need it and use it.

I know AWD is useful in many situations. But I've kept trying to explain that it is not a SAFETY feature as some people here think. As I mentioned before I've been driving over 250.000km with AWD Audi A6 Quattro. It was amazing on offroad and snow. Also in some other situations. I also admit that cornering felt better. But that's it. 

If AWD was so safe, it would be legally required to be in all cars. Like systems Airbags, ESC, ABS, etc... These are "required" to be in cars in EU. Otherwise you can't register a car. Not to mention that sports cars not all are AWD. If AWD was soo safe why the hell would BMW M4 or Nissan 350Z or 370Z or many others be RWD?

AWD is a PERFORMANCE feature. Period.

• Like 1

Sure that is right.

Not all Skylines were AWD, Then Golf R & Audi RS are just for getting around in, warm hatches.

Obviously a Golf GTI Clubsport S goes just as well cross country on the same tyres in adverse conditions at legal speeds.

PS

I like me BMW x-Drive, does the job nicely, not a Sports Car as just a diesel with 313ps, as for RWD BMW's i gave up having them years back.

My Suzuki's are Rear Wheel drive as standard and one has select AWD, and one has been modded to Permanent 4x4.

Yes for performance, but efficient performing in conditions not about speed.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

Are you serious? You already disputed even performance aspect of 4x4(saying it doesn't make a difference in cornering ) and now it is not even a safety feature? Are you trolling? Go try 4x4 vs FWD car in any heavy condition (snow,wet) and see what is easier and safer. Your argument about making it required by law is ridiculous(to say at least).

I (and many,many other drivers) say 4x4 offers both safety and performance benefits over FWD,period.

Performance feature. Good performance not some compromise, or power / drive cut to keep mumpties safe.

Performing to a high level of performance in the conditions required, be that wet, loose, cold, icy, snowy, steep, off camber etc.

Where control is required and drivers decisions not just a Sofrware Engineering mapping and electrical intervention to give stability or traction, 

and to actually get control and traction you can switch stuff off, fully off. Just a press of a switch

Hi there dublincalling, i can throw something into terms of spec of your 280 as i have one of them myself and driving in Dublin most of the time. 

Im not sure if there was some changes between my17 and my18  in terms what is in "sportline package" but there is few bits that i will change :)

To add

Canton sound system, tbh this is must have option for me and it does make a difference when u travel in this car.

Smart light assist- this is coming with bsc and lane assist to and have different better looking headlights with additional led stripes in each side- google it. 

To remove

Parking system- waste of money, u will end up by parking yourself anyway, car have sensors on the front and back and rev camera, thats more then enough. 

Phone box- same story, never experienced any problem with mobile network in a car. And wlan can be enabled directly from your phone without a car between that(however wlan option will be available anyway from a car side). 

Heated front window - seriously? In Ireland? Heated waschle noses its enough to  do the job. 

Columbus- overpriced, Amusement sat nav will do the same, and its more user friendly, maps are the same. 

Heated steering wheel i just dont like that, hands are sweating when driving. 

Insulated  glass - i was driving 260km/h and u can talk without a problem. 

I thing thats all, its just my opinion so u do whatever u want :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lukas883 said:

Hi there dublincalling, i can throw something into terms of spec of your 280 as i have one of them myself and driving in Dublin most of the time. 

Im not sure if there was some changes between my17 and my18  in terms what is in "sportline package" but there is few bits that i will change :)

To add

Canton sound system, tbh this is must have option for me and it does make a difference when u travel in this car.

Smart light assist- this is coming with bsc and lane assist to and have different better looking headlights with additional led stripes in each side- google it. 

To remove

Parking system- waste of money, u will end up by parking yourself anyway, car have sensors on the front and back and rev camera, thats more then enough. 

Phone box- same story, never experienced any problem with mobile network in a car. And wlan can be enabled directly from your phone without a car between that(however wlan option will be available anyway from a car side). 

Heated front window - seriously? In Ireland? Heated waschle noses its enough to  do the job. 

Columbus- overpriced, Amusement sat nav will do the same, and its more user friendly, maps are the same. 

Heated steering wheel i just dont like that, hands are sweating when driving. 

Insulated  glass - i was driving 260km/h and u can talk without a problem. 

I thing thats all, its just my opinion so u do whatever u want :)

@lukas883: I went for the Light assist with Lane assist and BSD. I think the price for the Columbus is pure extortion. It works out at 1800 euro as it asks you to select DAB.

Insulated glass isn't too expensive to add and it seems too lower the exterior noise significantly.

Re phone box, I am really struggling here. Someone commented that it's needed as there's no dedicated space without it. I would like the option of having a sim 4G data card so the children can use it for their smart device browsing.

Believe it or not, I love the heated windscreen in my L&K. This morning, it was frozen/ice on it.

I pressed the button and in 30 -40 seconds it melted it down

14 hours ago, dubincalling said:

@lukas883: I went for the Light assist with Lane assist and BSD. I think the price for the Columbus is pure extortion. It works out at 1800 euro as it asks you to select DAB.

Insulated glass isn't too expensive to add and it seems too lower the exterior noise significantly.

Re phone box, I am really struggling here. Someone commented that it's needed as there's no dedicated space without it. I would like the option of having a sim 4G data card so the children can use it for their smart device browsing.

Believe it or not, I love the heated windscreen in my L&K. This morning, it was frozen/ice on it.

I pressed the button and in 30 -40 seconds it melted it down

The Amundsen option will cost you €1,500 less including the phonebox, bang for buck the phonebox is not worth it in terms of added functions but I would have liked somewhere builtin to place my phone, instead of placing it across the ash tray or running a wire across the gear shift or 3rd party holder, when I added the Amundsen there was a €0 cost option of wifi only (no longer on the configurator atm, don't know why). There are other differences between the Amundsen and Columbus such as connectivity and the Columbus has a HDD for maps, music, etc. the Amundsen uses SD Cards only.

You can still offer the kids a data connection either by turning on the hotspot function on the phone, they can connect directly to the phone or connect the phone to the infotainment system and then the kids tablets (or whatever) to the cars wifi doing it this way also gives the infotainment a wlan connection to download online destinations sent to it via the app on your phone, etc. There is also an option of Carstick but I am not sure of compatibility with Irish ISP dongles, this will also use up the only USB port which is needed for CarPlay or AA.

I also found it a little strange that the car does not come with an alarm as standard, immobiliser yes but alarm no. Might be worth considering due to the performance nature of the vehicle (others can advise if the alarm is worth it or not).

• Like 1

@dubincalling  You have l&k mk3? 

I have those acustic windows,and the car is really hushed,almost silent. And that jas a bad side effect,no sensation of speed (a have a 4x4 dsg 190),engine is rarely heard of,and coming from a manual octavia scout,a had a hard time knowing how fast i am going because of that insulated feel and dsg box that shifts seamlessly(so on half throttle it comes on for exhample 100km/h without even noticing,and the fine for that speed in the city is really heavy). I imagine 280 will be even worse at this (as it is faster car).

About columbus,it is rediculous price for basicly nothing important. Take into considoration following,those two rotating knobs on amudsen are really handy while driving,because operating touch screen requires much more concetration (as your hand is moving around because of for exhample bumps etc.) ,far less shortcut buttons,and screen is allready plenty big enough (1.2 inch difference is not really wort the cash). I could justify the price if amudsen was ugly and small (like back in 2015 when it was 6.5 inches and the screen was much narrower than the buttons) but now i personaly don't think columbus looks any better than  amudsen (it is sleek but a bit plain for my taste) and amudsen screen is anything but small (and has really good resolution).

And i have a bolero,because i was so dumb (still angry about it) that i thought amudsen is standard in sportline (because it is in a cheaper style) and the price for amudsen is only like 200 euro (i would have changed the spec,but realised my mistake when picking up the car. Thank god android auto and mirror link work,so i have a sat nav when i need it,although it is less elegant solution to a factory one (but places are easier to find on google maps).

That 280 was my original plan(in ky country it costs the same as 190 dsg 4x4 ),but a few things got in the way so i went for a diesel. I love the sleeper aspect of that hot 280 superb,i kind of think of it like a baby rs6 (when in avant variant). Enjoy it.

P.S. I never test drove 280,knew i could never go for a rational diesel after that(although i don't even use its full potential).

Edited by fiki
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

In my view Škoda realised they have a good car and resorted to extortion when it comes to extras.

Does anyone know if Eircodes work with the Maps app? It seems based on a youtube video that Google maps works with Columbus. Not sure hoe many other useful apps are enabled (I can see spotify works but not sure if Waze does).

I take note of the insulated glass. My outgoing L&K Diesel can be quite load at high speeds rendering a decent conversation difficult and adding a lot of noise.

Spotify and wade work via android auto. You can also play Spotify over bluetooth to the head unit but you have no control that way.

Eircodes again would work over android auto with Google maps, but with the built in satnav im not so sure. Google earth is used as an overlay feature on the standard maps, but it relys on data to do so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, order placed yesterday (Friday)

Went for the following:

Superb SportLine, automatic transmission, 280 bhp, 4x4 DSG

Moon white metallic/black

Electric open close boot lid

Crew protect assist and curtain airbags and side ab

Phone box with Wireless phone charging, Wi-Fi with LTE internet

Digital radio reception

Columbus Sat Nav

Light assist with Lane assist and BSD

Adaptive Cruise Control - up to 160km/hr

Travel assist

Progressive steering

CANTON sound system

Heated front and back seats

Heated washers

Front underbody guard

Colur MaxiDot

Park assist

Rear Wiper

Acoustic front and side window

The car will also be coming with Sunroof and 19" Vega's as standard!  They upgraded the offer yesterday to include those 2 important extras FOC.

Delivery time given to me yesterday is ~12 weeks so probably will have the car toward the end of Feb 2018

The dealer reassuring me this is the best specced car he's ever ordered

• Like 2

No need for the dealer to be reassuring you dubincalling - that has to be one of the highest specc’d Superbs ever ordered in Ireland.  Best of luck with it - will be a smashing motor and can’t wait to see photos of it in due course.

• Like 1