Skoda Superb Mk3 Compound and Polish Combination

Zenbasses

Hiya All,

I am quite a avid detailer but have only really used a few products as recommended by (cleanyourcar.co.uk). My original setup was

• Das 6 Pro
  • CG Hex Logic Green Pad
  • Menzerma 2200

It got good results on my Quatrz Grey Superb but there are still some light scratches, spider webbing and some deep (clear coat) scratches that I want to take care of before I apply some Ceramic Coating Coating I recently got on a deal. (Sonax - CC36 Ceramic Coating)

Its pretty obvious the last owner used a 'hand car wash' or a sponge and you can defo tell a silicone blade was used to dry the car due to the long straight abrasions on the bonnet and roof.  

I actually haven't worked on many cars so I probably don't understand the difference between Soft paint (Japanese) and Hard Paint (corvette) and where the Superb lies on the hardness scale.

My question is

1. Do I stick with Menzerma 2200 but go for a heavier gauge cutting pad (CG Hex Logic Orange Pad etc)     or
  2. Go for a compound then a polish and use a (CG Hex Logic Orange Pad+ White Pad)

I am then going to finish it with some PoorBoys Blackhole Glaze and Sealant and top it with a coat of CG Buttery Wax as I have already got them in my arsenal and I consider them great products in their own right.

Though as I am going to apply a ceramic coating I need to do some more research if any of the above stages is not required or cause an issues (advice ?? :D )

The other products  I have considered are

• Scholl Concepts  17+   Menzerma Finish 3500  (Orange Pad + White Pad)
  • Menzerma P400  + Finish 3500    or  (Orange Pad + White Pad)
  • Scholl Concepts s20 1 Step with an Orange Pad

or maybe none of the above.... ;) 

Any advice is always greatly appreciated.

The choices are endless and it is a bit bewildering at times.

If your struggling to remove the deeper scratches with the polish you have I’d probably step up to the compound and then polish and then refine.  Once you’ve done that I would wipe the panel down to remove any polishing oils and then apply your coating to the nice corrected paintwork.

I wouldn’t bother with the glaze after polishing as ceramic coatings usually need to be applied on bare paintwork to maximise there effectiveness 

4 hours ago, pee81 said:

If your struggling to remove the deeper scratches with the polish you have I’d probably step up to the compound and then polish and then refine.  Once you’ve done that I would wipe the panel down to remove any polishing oils and then apply your coating to the nice corrected paintwork.

I wouldn’t bother with the glaze after polishing as ceramic coatings usually need to be applied on bare paintwork to maximise there effectiveness 

Hiya,

Thanks for the tip about the glaze :), it hasn't been specially bought for this and will be fine until its needed again.

I was thinking of going down the compound + Polish option.. 

If I wet the scratches they cannot be seen so that's a good sign that they are all in clear coat and not through it..

Regards

Ben

• Like 1

Deffo don't bother with a glaze if coating.

Have a look at the DK range of polishes along with Uro MF pads at In2detailing, just been testing them out and have had some great results.

Also don't get too hung up on the whole 'Hard' paint 'Soft' paint scenario, whilst in some cases the old addage that a German paint for instance is rock hard whereas a Japanese paint is soft as butter are true its only half the story and is in alot of cases not correct. Its more about the individual paint but always start with the least aggressive combo 1st.

DSC_5087.jpg

Sounds like you'll need to carry out a two stage correction as Pee81 says. Scholl concepts S17 on a CG orange pad should do the trick mate, but like Pittsy says, every paint is individual. This worked well on a BMW X6 for me, but will need refining with a finishing polish afterwards, and I would say Men's 2200 is a little on the harsh side for refining for me, but with a finishing pad it will do the trick. Enjoy!!