Octavia vrs 245 DSG mpg and 0-60?

I don't know about the MPG on the new Octavia VRS, but I will tell you about mine. On a day with a lot of traffic + stopping & going, I average just below 25 MPG on a 10 mile trip. On the same route with no or very little traffic, I can get 30 MPG. This is dependent also on driving style. The best I have managed is 32 MPG. Imo you buy the VRS for spirited driving, not to get the best MPG. I don't trust MPG stats anymore as I never acheive the stated figures from manufacturers. However, my Octavia VRS only comes with two modes, Normal & Sport. The new Mk 3 Octavia VRS would have more such as an Eco mode, so most likely you would have a better chance of achieving better MPG than on mine. 

The DSG gearbox is perfectly suited for combined long & short journeys. No issues with mine & I do don't do a lot of mileage. Been three years driving on automatics, 2 with the Fabia Triptronic, 1 with the Octavia DSG. The DSG I find has better gear ratios than the Tiptronic which tended to shift down during very high revs. 

39 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

:D

where you ploughing some fields? 

Not me, but seemingly every ruddy farmer within a 50 mile radius of me. Fields would be cleaner than the roads round here. :dry:

There is a roadworks access point that has to be driven past every day too - tons of cr4p on the road.

Believe it or not, that is one weeks dirt and the car hasn't been further away than 30 miles from home!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Nope...there's another member on here though with a meteor grey pre FL 230 estate, and he has a type 2 I believe - @rob_e

@pist0nbr0ke you have a very good memory :)

yes i I have a 1978 westfalia and a pre facelift mk3 vrs 230 meteor grey. 

@JohnnyType2 I’m guessing from your username you may also have one? :)

On 11/7/2017 at 01:33, old newbie2 said:

Help please.

If anyone here has a 7-speed DSG, I'd like to know the rpms / speeds in the  higher gears.

I.E. the speed (from the digital speedo) at say 2k rpms in each  of the top 3/4 ratios.

I'm trying to compare the vRS 245 gearing with our current 6-speed DSG cars ( 3k rpms = 77 mph in the Superb, 80 mph in the Golf &  95  mph (!) in the EOS, all in top gear.

TIA DC

Just for comparison the six speed manual vRS does 86 mph at 3K in top 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 22:33, VRjest said:

Just for comparison the six speed manual vRS does 86 mph at 3K in top 

Hi

My 245 DSG, 60mph = 1500 rpm, 70mph = 1800 rpm, on a recent good motorway run she did 40.2 mpg brimmed tank to brimmed tank. Interestingly the maxidot was less than 0.5mpg out (on the generous side), not bad for a 245 BHP car. 

23 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I have to put cruise control on find 7th, it does 144mph before changing outta 4th

144mph in the UK?

if so, I really do hope you get caught before you kill anyone. 

42 minutes ago, vfrguy said:

Hi

My 245 DSG, 60mph = 1500 rpm, 70mph = 1800 rpm, on a recent good motorway run she did 40.2 mpg brimmed tank to brimmed tank. Interestingly the maxidot was less than 0.5mpg out (on the generous side), not bad for a 245 BHP car. 

Thanks for the info, very useful.

We are still looking  for a car that's fun but a bit sensible. In many ways a Leon Cupra would fit the bill, but it feels a little bit cramped when compared to a Golf, or our old Superb.

Our holiday rental (Spain) in  2015 was an Octavia hatchback & that was big enough for us. Pity about the performance (1.6 TdI & 5-speed manual) but it did manage 54/55 mpg.

Are you having any of the low frequency noise problems that have been reported in the past? 

Thanks again, David C.

On 11/24/2017 at 22:00, old newbie2 said:

Are you having any of the low frequency noise problems that have been reported in the past? 

Thanks again, David C.

No unexpected noises in mine, a lot hissing wooshing noises reported from back seat passengers, presumed to be the exhaust working nearly as hard as the turbo

On 11/24/2017 at 22:00, old newbie2 said:

Thanks for the info, very useful.

We are still looking  for a car that's fun but a bit sensible. In many ways a Leon Cupra would fit the bill, but it feels a little bit cramped when compared to a Golf, or our old Superb.

Our holiday rental (Spain) in  2015 was an Octavia hatchback & that was big enough for us. Pity about the performance (1.6 TdI & 5-speed manual) but it did manage 54/55 mpg.

Thanks again, David C.

Well I've got the Canton sound system, so the only booming tends to be supplied by AC/DC! Seriously can't say I've noticed it in mine.

Regards, Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old newbie2 said:

Bit noisy though, way past the red line.........

Red lines are over rated IMHO !!!

Remap the DSG & the car really does start to take on a different character, don't get me wrong its nice from the factory but, a bit too refined.

A bit like women cars, you want 1 thats comfy, quiet & reasonable looking but, sometimes when you wanna rag it, it needs to have a nasty side too just to keep things interesting

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

A bit like women cars, you want 1 thats comfy, quiet & reasonable looking but, sometimes when you wanna rag it, it needs to have a nasty side too just to keep things interesting

You just described my missus, apart from the quiet bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2017 at 16:43, themanwithnoaim said:

Red lines are over rated IMHO !!!

Remap the DSG & the car really does start to take on a different character, don't get me wrong its nice from the factory but, a bit too refined.

I'm going to have to find a demonstrator, I've driven earlier Octy 3 vRS's & refinement wasn't a big part of the experience.

I'm sure a remapped DSG would allow higher shifting points, but it's a long-stroke engine, & I wouldn't want it to spin past 7K rpms. 

For now I'll stick with the Golf, & maybe supplant it with a Leon Cupra, but I'll mostly ride the torque rather than rev it out in the low gears.

It seems to work in all of our cars, including the old ones & when we do get the chance ( space, lack of traffic, etc. ) we do blow the cobwebs out of the tail-pipes, but it's 

not the way we want to drive all the time.

I was never a fan of long-stoke engines but VW's turbo 2 litres are annoyingly quiet & torquey, to the extent that the Superb replaced a 3.0 litre V6 Mondy & is just

as refined on the highways & with much better economy.

As for women, that's a different story but I did have a few eye-opening experiences in between wife 1's demise & meeting wife 2........

Have a good one, DC.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 21:46, rob_e said:

33644327925_5e9aba4fba_b.jpg

hopefully the link works. This was at volksworld show earlier this year 

If you just look over your windscreen thats us on the other side. always 'early' never late. :tongueout:

is that a late champagne edition?

Edited by JohnnyType2