So Quiet

Nackuk

So quiet on here. So I thought I'd brighten your days....

Have got round to starting to change the master cylinder. I knew there was two different types, and I knew I would end up with the wrong one. Yep its wrong........

And why did VAG make the dam thing nearly accessible, but actually not. Tossa's.

I've actually got it out. Getting the new one back in, when it comes, may be a different thing.

38118242696_8b7d3cfbca_z.jpg

24322119088_45a00ba0d0_z.jpg

• Like 1

Well I got the new one in..... some how. Bumin tight.

You'll notice the original one (on the right), has a circlip on it with out holes, to prevent you doing the cheap option of just changing the seals.

There was loads of air in her, in a way I'd never seen it with bleeding brakes before. All seams to be out now.

The foot pedal is real hard now. Just waiting the battery to recharge before trying her out on the road again.

26607401999_91e740c807_z.jpg

26607719589_11c8facaa8_z.jpg

37668572614_f7b166fe14_z.jpg

38328120086_f0ae5dbf5a_z.jpg

38328136866_ca0e22757b_z.jpg

Great job, have always felt the brakes on the Superb could be better, that the brakes were just adequate but not if you are pushing on, part of it could be that is a nose heavy car. Your car looks great what mileage are you on now?

150K and she peeers lovely for an old diesel. I just wonder how long the clutch will last. I still love driving this comfy barge.

Although she is looking good, she is starting to rot:

At the rear sills, right at the wheel arches, although while doing the brakes I have sorted this out.

Front wheel arch was bubbling, as in the closest one in the picture, now sorted.

The boot opener is rusting. But always has been.

Rest of it underneither looks great.

And I clean the head lights every year.

Ej Nackuk,

after the rear disk and pads change i have a Soft pedal syndrome  (goes all the way if pressed hard when car is running) although braking well for now.

There is a gurgling sound coming from the dash (mostly when raved or after applying the brakes (this has been doing even before the change)

Do you believe this is the case of master cylinder or more of a box with leaking diaphragm in it?

Maybe just to bleed the brakes would help?

thanks for your opinion

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:46, pinstripe said:

is Ej Nackuk,

after the rear disk and pads change i have a Soft pedal syndrome  (goes all the way if pressed hard when car is running) although braking well for now.

There is a gurgling sound coming from the dash (mostly when raved or after applying the brakes (this has been doing even before the change)

Do you believe this is the case of master cylinder or more of a box with leaking diaphragm in it?

Maybe just to bleed the brakes would help?

thanks for your opinion

Hi,

That is normal for it to go to the floor in the circumstances you have described. Dam servo's are too good on the deasils. The key here is you had to press hard. my car you did not have to press hard, you just had to press.

When changing the pads and discs (well on the 1.9 TD)  there is no need to touch the hydraulic circuits, so there should be no air ingress at this point. If anything putting the new pads in will have pushed brake fluid back to the reservoir and would have been fuller, or may have even overflowed out of the top. Hopefully the top should have been unscrewed to allow it overflow.

This doesn't mean there isn't air in your system, just meant it was already there.

I got through 2 liters of brake fluid, and there was masses of air in there, which must on the most part have already been in there on three of the four circuits. Two three rounds of bleeding the brakes. The lines often looked clear and then a wodge of milky air ridden brake fluid would come out. Odd as I've never seen it like that before. Usually clean fluid with big air bubbles in it. Any my brakes work much better now, in fact better than ever.

No idea what the gurgling is. Perhaps the coolant heating circuit was not properly bleed as there is a high point in the pipe behind the dash in the engine bay there, hence you rev the engine and pushes coolant flow through the airlock. Follow the procedure for refilling the coolant to check, it is simple but you need to lift the coolant reservoir to do it properly. I would check this first.

Edited by Nackuk