change tyre size

Tomjones1995

10 minutes ago, S00perb said:

If Newtown place said it is out of line again - ask why?

There has to be a reason (unfortunately if they say it is the pot holes, it could be just that I suppose)

But it is strange that Overton managed to fix the problem long term

Yeah I mean it could be pot holes but if I'm familiar with the road then I tend to avoid the large pot holes in the road but as you say it could still be that, even the one pot hole could knock it out, but surely there's more to it if Overton managed to fix it for you permanently or at least for longer than 2 months.

Edited by Tomjones1995

37 minutes ago, S00perb said:

I have certainly hit many many potholes since - maybe they just aligned it and tightened it up more

Well that's very interesting. It seems that tyre shops in general exaggerate the effect pot holes have on tracking if you have hit many pot holes and the wheels are still relatively well aligned. I may use Newtown first and see how I go and then if the problem persists I'l  definitely head over to Overton seeing as they've sorted it for you.

Thanks again

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys, I just wanted to give you all an update on the situation of my tyres. I changed the tyres at the end of January this year and after just 4,500 miles the fronts are starting to go bald on the inside again, rears are fine.

Thanks again for all of your input

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Tomjones1995 - Well, if that's 2 new front tyres staring to wear on the inside shoulders, then the problem has to be either the toe setting or too much negative camber on the fronts. You'll need a good operator with a Hunter rig to establish which.

I've been to loads of people and nobody's been able to find out the cause, they just say "your wheel alignment was out so I've rectified it" I ask why, they say "potholes". But one did say it was due to my suspension system on the front that was broken and that why it was causing negative camber?? But there was no point in fixing it because it far outweighed the value of the car

Edited by Tomjones1995

Surely its up to you if its worth fixing the suspension.  You obviously need to keep a car. 

What's the most economical to you:

- Keep replacing the tyres

- Fix the suspension

- Get a new car

How old is the car and how many miles has it done?

@Tomjones1995 - Well, ATM I don't know what the problem actually is, and Haynes is hopelessly generalised. A Hunter check with no attempts at "adjusting" anything should return which values are in and out of spec.

But, for example, if the front bushes are in good order and you have excess negative camber, the problem then must be settled or broken front springs.

17 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Surely its up to you if its worth fixing the suspension.  You obviously need to keep a car. 

What's the most economical to you:

- Keep replacing the tyres

- Fix the suspension

- Get a new car

How old is the car and how many miles has it done?

This is exactly what I thought at the time. The car is actually quite rare with only 480 left in the uk so yeah I would like to keep it in tip top condition to be honest. The car at present is 13 yrs old and has roughly 128k miles on the clock.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

@Tomjones1995 - Well, ATM I don't know what the problem actually is, and Haynes is hopelessly generalised. A Hunter check with no attempts at "adjusting" anything should return which values are in and out of spec.

But, for example, if the front bushes are in good order and you have excess negative camber, the problem then must be settled or broken front springs.

I know for definite that the front bushes are in good nick because they've been changed fairly recently to the cupra ones. It's been through two mot's and to at least four different garages during this time, so surely somebody would pick up on a broken coil on the front?. It seems to be one of them problems that nobody seems to be able to find

Thanks for the help