Raised/ variable boot floor...diy

Hi all,

im a new spaceback owner (New to skoda as well) and have had it about a week. I’ve been looking through lots of the topics on here and seen talk of variable boot floor but couldn’t find it on sale anywhere and I am now considering DIY as the mouldings are already in place?

has anyone done this already?

does anyone have a factory fitted one they wouldn’t mind posting a few detailed pictures of such as the mountings and how they fit in the boot at the seat side?

im just thinking of using ply and fitting a rubber boot liner on top (for the dog) so it shouldn’t be too hard...

any input welcome!

Hi Kingy

I have the variable boot floor, it's at home at the moment but I could get it out tonight and send you a few pictures of it and measurements if that helps. 

I asked my local DM Keith and they got me one FoC, however, i did get my Spaceback new so that likely played a part. 

That’s so helpful, thanks a lot! 

Its roughly what I thought it would be but it’s good to know I was on the right lines!

I’m hoping to have a go this weekend so I’ll post pictures of progress if and when I do.

thanks again!

So I had a go! Thanks for the measurements they were very helpful!

i used 18mm ply and used the boot carpet for the curve although i had to make a cardboard template because it is sewn into the car.

im not happy with the curve cut because I did it with a hand saw (no power tools) but with the rubber on it’s a nice fit and it works.

id still like a genuine one but not bad for £6.85!

id like to cut a handle in it but that’s for another day now!

8D5E7763-C155-4CC9-B13D-1EFEC523C61E.jpeg

E86E4022-FC89-4F98-B886-9E5E42FCB17C.jpeg

B6AEC48B-B3ED-44F5-AACC-6259AE559B18.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RickTT said:

Good on you for doing it... but if you dont have a spare wheel... i cant see much point in doing this mod...

The op has a dog. The flat loading area is much more dog friendly.

• Like 1

Hi rick,

i have 2 jobs and Uni and a child so lots of stuff in and out of the car and needed for different things. I have a base level of stuff always in the boot (first aid kit, coat, few tools, ratchet straps bungee cords, work files etc.) so all this is going under the false floor so I’ve got a clear boot for other things like taking the dog out, sons bike etc. Plus it looks tidier with all that not on show haha

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Superb job there @Kingy819 - If you refine your template for the cutting out, you could make a nice few quid selling those boards on here and on eBay to other owners. Hell - I'd buy one - have wanted one for ages but don't fancy paying £150 for a real one.

Thanks Chris, I’m happy with it but I think when I get power tools after Christmas I’ll give it a go again and share the template, postage on something so big and heavy would probably cost a lot but it wasn’t too difficult to diy! 

On 10/11/2017 at 00:30, RickTT said:

Good on you for doing it... but if you dont have a spare wheel... i cant see much point in doing this mod...

Spare wheel (full sized) is under the original boot floor on these!

Nice job Kingy - have considered it myself for loose brack-a-brack that is best hidden

On 10/12/2017 at 14:18, Kingy819 said:

Thanks Chris, I’m happy with it but I think when I get power tools after Christmas I’ll give it a go again and share the template, postage on something so big and heavy would probably cost a lot but it wasn’t too difficult to diy! 

Postage would be a decent amount, but consider the £150 cost of a new genuine one, still cheaper, so you could still make a nice margin on each one.

As a guide, I had an A2 piece of 12mm MDF posted to me last week (trust me, don't ask) - cost about £7 in postage IIRC.

• 2 months later...

I  fitted  my  floor  in  spaceback  today  20.2.18  18mm  mdf  from  bq  cut  to  size  no  extra  cost,  had  to  buy  sheet,  Chappie  at  store  managed  to  cut  3  out  of  1  sheet,  29inches  by  39inches  nice  snug  fit  with  carpet  attached,  total  cost  £19.78  for  three.

• 7 months later...

Hi, thanks for this thread, I made a false floor to my Rapid Spaceback as well. Here som pics. I had 4 mm plywood. I glued two layers together and reinforced the outer edge and the middle of the board with 8x20 mm strands of wood. Glued on the mat and stapled on the back side. Came out very nice!

44332943_1873107122724979_6589582603571953664_n.jpg.6d75441ea8cdaddade438a6444c48779.jpg44365068_1873107159391642_4701995363752476672_n.jpg.03bd7cc3009e7b156f46e9ec796d21a9.jpg44279919_1873107199391638_3275508438372712448_n.jpg.a9b5faa3e471e243c6f774c006f95d88.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Great article thanks, really useful information. 

I went to B&Q to buy MDF but their saw wasn't working, so I bought a pack of 3 18mm loft flooring panels for £8.75, I've already got glue to stick them together, and can always put  batten on the back if needed.

Hopefully that will be dog friendly with some carpet on top. 

• 2 months later...