VCDS cable.

Hi all, just took a gamble and ordered a VCDS cable. Can someone point me in the right direction for information about things to change. Preferably with instructions that a 3 year old could understand  :). Considering the Audi throttle change for the vrs and washer delay for the headlights. Anything else that is not too technical to change might be considered, but I won't be going mad changing everything. 

IMG_3016.PNG

22 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

There is this article pinned to the top of the forum

As for throttle mod

Thanks. I can't even work my way around a forum. What could possibly go wrong  :sweat:. Sure it's only a €42k car!!!!!

Just take it slow and do some of the smaller changes first. Get used to the software.

Best thing to do is do an Auto-Scan (Button off the main screen) of VCDS, start the scan and then save it.

Leave the little window open with the View/Print options, and it will record all the changes that you make. 

Makes reverting changes a lot easier. Do this every time you are making changes using VCDS.

Also don't be surprised if some of the names of the Adaptations are different to was is listed in the articles. Ross-Tech change the names of things from time to time, which can make things a little confusing but normally the new labels are close enough to the ones on here to identify it.

Any questions just PM me.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

How much is that cable? I thought you'd need a software license to use it?

That's the gamble!!!! I paid £75 for it on eBay. It says it's dealer capability unlimited use, so not 3 or 10 vin limited. If it ain't what it says, there's always eBay money back guarantee. 

1 minute ago, Ozzy25 said:

That's the gamble!!!! I paid £75 for it on eBay. It says it's dealer capability unlimited use, so not 3 or 10 vin limited. If it ain't what it says, there's always eBay money back guarantee. 

I've seen those on ebay and always thought it's too much a gamble.

Let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in getting a similar one ;)

Just now, wyx087 said:

I've seen those on ebay and always thought it's too much a gamble.

Let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in getting a similar one ;)

Don't get my vrs until January but can try it out on my mk7 Golf Estate when I get the cable. But think I'll be hearing the saying ' if it's too good to be true.....'. We shall find out soon enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

Mine is HEX+CAN and is unrestricted.

Ross-Tech state on their forum that HEX-CAN cables will NOT be able to communicate with all the modules on any MQB or MQB II platform, such as a 2018 Octavia.

For those you need either a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET.

Check with Ross-Tech if you don't believe me...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Ross-Tech state on their forum that HEX-CAN cables will NOT be able to communicate with all the modules on any MQB or MQB II platform, such as a 2018 Octavia.

Thanks for adding that. I should have added that clarification as well.

45 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

And in layman terms, that means?

My cable won't work on new car????

14 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

And in layman terms, that means?

My cable won't work on new car????

It will work on any "old" modules your car has (and that might well be none) but they're not adding in support for new ones, they had a cut-off where development stopped and it was earlier this year, people with the VRS245 are already seeing issues with programming stuff.

So basically yes and besides, for £75 that will be a knock-off interface anyway and the "cracked" software will be well out of date.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(       I'm reasonably lucky in as much as I have a genuine unlimited HEX-USB one and they still sell for very good money (£250+!) so I can upgrade to the new type at little/no cost when my 245 comes but you're looking at £220 for the new one limited to 3 VIN's.

3 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

It will work on any "old" modules your car has (and that might well be none) but they're not adding in support for new ones, they had a cut-off where development stopped and it was earlier this year, people with the VRS245 are already seeing issues with programming stuff.

So basically yes and besides, for £75 that will be a knock-off interface anyway and the "cracked" software will be well out of date.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(       I'm reasonably lucky in as much as I have a genuine unlimited HEX-USB one and they still sell for very good money (£250+!) so I can upgrade to the new type at little/no cost when my 245 comes but you're looking at £220 for the new one limited to 3 VIN's.

:crying::crying:

Here is a picture of it anyway. 

IMG_3019.PNG

3 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

:crying::crying:

Here is a picture of it anyway. 

IMG_3019.PNG

Hmm, that's defo the new one, can you send me the link to the eBay ad?    Might be able to work out if it's genuine or not and if it is then if it's had all VIN's used up already as that's WAY too cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Hmm, that's defo the new one, can you send me the link to the eBay ad?    Might be able to work out if it's genuine or not and if it is then if it's had all VIN's used up already as that's WAY too cheap. 

38 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Thats the photo from the listing & NOT the supplied item

Just saying

Definitely a clone as the listing says "This cable will work with Software version 17.8.0 which covers cars from 1995-2017 and which easily work with most 2018 cars too comes with cable. YOU CANNOT USE ANY OTHER VERSION."...

• Like 1

Definitely not going to be a legit Ross Tech VCDS cable.

No expert here, but if you want a knock off version, I'm sure you can get them for less than £70. If it sounds too good to be true...

• Like 1

Push for a refund using the threat of reporting sale of fake goods.  Once you've got the refund, report the listing anyway.

You need to have Freedom membership to sell anything on here, let alone fake goods, which I think would not be allowed full stop.

• Like 1