Nightmare fabia vrs engine replacement needed!

Jav_110

JAV_110, 

i messaged the mods to remove details from a communication you received, best not post on an open forum.  Maybe you are happy to leave them though.

As it is i think the Warranty provider are on a hiding because the Expert said piston rings and as Skoda / VW know there was a piston ring issue from the day they fitted them and for 3 years after while under Manufacturers Warranty and they used to replace them under Warranty, then started replacing Base engines, 

then the Breather Mod & Software Update, then Breather Mod 2 in some world regions, then the Oil Spray Jet mod, 

and another software update.  

Any Skoda Warranty buyer buying cover for a Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI 2010-2014 could have Excessive Oil Consumption or other faults rejected under their T&C's.

Basically Skoda UK selling worthless Named Part or All Component Warranties.  ie Fraud on their part.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

i messaged the mods to remove details from a communication you received, best not post on an open forum.  Maybe you are happy to leave them though.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to remove the personal info so have had to hide the post as I'm sure the OP doesn't really want his address visible? :thumbup:

Edited by john999boy
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear of this. Are they refusing the warranty claim because they say it is a known fault, or because they suspect you knew there was a problem with your engine before you took out the cover? If it's the former that's pretty outrageous and essentially means their extended warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on! 

Ive a feeling once someone more senior and sensible gets involved from SUK then it will all get sorted in your favour. 

• Like 1

i know this is a bit late now but i would take most info from Bickertons with a pinch if salt and would try and double check info you get from them via another route.

nothing against them but my previous dealings with them havent inspired me with confidence, apart from the parts guys who do know thier stuff...

^^^ 

That means Technical Product Information,  the stuff since 2011/12 on Updated Breather Pipe / Valve Mods and the Software updates where owners reported Excessive Oil use. So something VW were aware of and Skoda because SEAT had the issues from 2009/10, and VW & Audi 2010/11.

So the engine manufacturer and manufacturer warranty provider knew of the issue.

They even had Official OIl Consumption tests they carried out, on hundreds of UK Twinchargers from SEAT, Skoda, VW & Audi.

Many many hundreds required Warranty actions in the UK of the under 3,000 Skoda, & under 4,000 SEAT, VW & Audi Twinchargers.

How tests were originally done before the farcical ones that then got done.

post-86161-0-54740300-1365682049.jpg

post-86161-0-49942900-1365682152.jpg

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 2

I purchased the vehicle from my brother who has owned it from mid 2016 never had a problem with it throughout his ownership, i then brought the vehicle off him and immediately purchased an extended warranty after reading all the horror stories about them needing engine replacements, me and my mrs liked the car that much (when it was working) i brought a new edition to the family a 2014 fabia vrs 1 owner 29k miles full skoda history and purchase extended warranty again. I opted for the "all component cover" with 0 excess and unlimited miles even thoue I don't do much miles just for the peace of mind i opted for top cover (so there is no excuse for skoda not to pay out incase there is a claim) i sent 60 reg fabia in for major service @ a cost of £279 to be told everything is as it should be in car apart from the fob on the remote needs a new battery which they replaced and charged me for obviously and everything is now uptodate, while i was there thats when i enquired about oil consumption and was told 1 litre of oil to a 1000 miles is normal according to skoda guidelines on this engine, week later the car develops a misfire i send car back in and it took over 4 weeks for extended warranty to say we think the fault was there before you took out the policy therefore we are NOT paying out as it states in the policy booklet and claims will become void if they were present before warranty had been taken out, my point here is the car was not mis firing before and skoda bickerton are my proof as they serviced the car a week before and this fault was not there at that time, so how they can say that i do not no, only explanation the manager from extended warranty had is because you enquired about excess oil consumption that must mean the problem was there before you took out the warranty, i asked my brother he said the car never mis fired while he owned it so now i am just sat here waiting for a call back from skoda uk. I have had 4 octavia vrs in my family and 2 fabia vrs and after this experience I don't want anything to do with the brand as i think they are selling cars with a blatant manufacturer defect and don't want to admit it. I have had all sorts of cars from a wide selection of manufacturers and have had warranty claims with different manufacturers but my experience with every other brand has been ok but skoda absolutely awful i would urge everyone to stay clear of the brand and all their cars, i have just come accross some videos on youtube of people slating the fabia vrs engine needing constant replacements it is shocking as to how they have got away with out replacing everyone engine under recall on the earlier models? 

Btw if anyone is looking for a nice clean 14 reg fabia vrs plz let me no, just been serviced from skoda bickerton Sheffield,it has extended warranty onit but don't think its worth the paper its written on. Think its time for a evo 10 and never in my life will i purchase a skoda again!

There were no VOSA recalls on the VRS MK2 engine 2010-2014. VW / SKODA would never admit there was a problem.

The TPI's issued to the Techie's are classed as product improvement  / enhancements. They were not a requirement on every VRS MK2 

If you took your car in for a service it is likely they would not advise you on each TPI unless you raised a concern (such as oil consumption), there is at least 4 or 5 known TPI's for Engine.

I got to look at the TPI's when they dissapeared from the meeting i had & i was reading upside down - wish i could have got them.

A VW tech would be able to get them - they really are not recalls...that you get in the post.

There has been VOSA on gearbox oil change but not the 'general oil consumption issue'. 

Maybe this dealer is trying to flog you a new engine. Have they really checked the basics, have they borescoped & done a comprehensive report?

Or is it case of 1 lazy engineer opinion. In the early days a lot of  1.4TSI engines were being replaced unnecessarily

This is when all the TPI's for the fixes / improvement came out. Dealt with on a case by case basis.

Try get a second opinion in meantime; car might be fixable but would definitely push legal action on the insurance. I think you would win, but i know its the hassle......

Good luck anyway

• Like 2

Exactly..

The oil change was likely 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life, and cars that had not used oil previously can after an oil change. Fact.

As to the Misfire, that can be the need for spark plugs to be replaced, as any Skoda Master Tech should know.

A failing plug can cause a failed ignition coil.

The Borescope was probably all the Warranty Company 'Expert' did, and then wrote their report.

http://bickertonskoda.co.uk

JULIAN the SERVICE MANAGER @ BICKERTON SKODA SHEFFIELD, The SKODA Main Dealership needs to get some training, get some knowledge of the vehicles he has to deal with. That is if he tells customers that 1 litre of oil consumed in 1.000 miles is normal.

*Only 'Normal' where something is seriously wrong with an engine..*  Not acceptable with a Euro 5 1.4 TSI 132kw engine or any other.

and this 0.5 litre in 1,000 km (1,242 miles) crap in owners manuals is for every VW Engine, 

3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinder, petrol, diesel and from 44kw up to as powerful as VW Group produce.

That is not the Acceptable consumption or Within Tolerances, or Normal for those driving normally in the UK in normal weather, 

on normal public roads at normal speeds, ie no towing over high mountain passes in high summer or the likes.

*That 'When the engine is warm' in a Skoda Manual is

'At Operating temperature' in a VW Manual for the same engines.

w960_3927-184.png

Just rung skoda uk twice only to be cut off twice before i spoke to someone, then rung off my partners phone and they answered, fishy, Anyways gave my case number and was told i will be getting a call back either today or Monday no specific time can be given as "she is really busy" 

• Like 2

Just had the call from Skoda uk and cut it short they said we can't do anything and you will have to pay for a new engine from your own pocket as we cannot over turn the warranty company decision, contacted the financial ombudsman who has now submitted a claim to skoda financial services 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jav_110 said:

Just had the call from Skoda uk and cut it short they said we can't do anything and you will have to pay for a new engine from your own pocket as we cannot over turn the warranty company decision, contacted the financial ombudsman who has now submitted a claim to skoda financial services 

Hope they can resolve this issue quickly and get that new engine in without your wallet knowing!

2 hours ago, Jav_110 said:

Jav_110,

Best of luck ,lets hope the ombudsman has real teeth for sorting your case in your favour. 

Looking forward to hearing about your positive outcome.

Thanks for this thread & please keep us updated on further developments. I am also very interested this is because I was thinking of getting a Skoda extended warranty as the one from the dealership is about to run out. 

Edited by sleeper77

The 67 plate 600 mile courtesy car given to me (dsg fabia estate) now has engine warning light on dash as i was on motorway driving back to Sheffield , their cars really are a shoddy piece of sh**.  NEVER BUYING A SKODA AGAIN!  Glad a sold my 14 reg vrs today sold in 5 min of advert going live

On 10/11/2017 at 08:37, Kobayashi said:

There were no VOSA recalls on the VRS MK2 engine 2010-2014. VW / SKODA would never admit there was a problem.

A Safety Recall is the action taken (by VOSA) when a defect is identified, which meets the definition of a safety defect, that could result in a risk of serious injury.

I don't think that the engine / oil consumption issue would qualify.

Sadly, Warranty providers and Insurers will ALWAYS try to squirm out of any acknowledgement of responsibility; as Headinawayoffski suggets, I hope you were more honest than them when selling your car?

• Thanks 1

Anyone buying it will likely want to sort out the extreme oil consumption and the misfire and if they know there are that issues they are then able to look at the costs involved.

As to someone offloading to a buyer and keeping them in the dark they are going to be found out pretty quickly.

As the saying goes, 'a punch in the face can cause offence', or be an offence, but it is still a punch in the face or a kick between the legs.

Sorry for my confusion, i missed the 14 plate bit, 

Also missed in the thread where ever you had said in this thread that the 60 plate had no engine in it already!, 

just read that it was stripped so i wrongly assumed the head had been removed, 

but now i can see where that must have then lead to removal of the engine in preparation for fitting the new one.

So they were a bit premature before Warranty approval to take the engine out.

However that will of allowed the expert to have clearly seen the Rings, Bores and pistons and to examine the valves.

Explain lots really...

• Like 1