Octavia or Karoq?

del-gti

Considering a replacement for my Fabia and spotted some decent offers on new Octavia and Karoq. 

Budget constraints mean that the model I'm looking at for both is the 1.0 TSi SE Technology DSG. Both are approx 12 weeks for delivery and are within about £20 p/m of each other.  Obviously the Karoq is a brand new model but still based on the MQB platform so expect the driving experience to be similar.

Which would you go for? Any advice gratefully received.

I made the mistake of taking my wife into Simpsons Preston.

I came out having ordered a Karoq 1.0 TSiSE Tech DSG. :crying:

The Kodiak is too big for us, but I'm over 6'5" and my wife is 5'11", the other cars are too low for us to get in and out of.

Edited by P6bJOHN

Well I'm the same height as your wife and my wife is a foot shorter so space isn't an issue for us. Good to know you've ordered the model I'm looking at. 

Did you get the same timescales for delivery? 

I was in a similar position as to Octavia or Karoq to replace my Yeti (pch deal finishes in January) and decided to go for an Octavia 1.5tsi SE Technology.

I would imagine that there will be long delays on the Karoq, plus there's the risk of teething problems with a new model, (the Kodiaq seems to have had it's fair share of issues).

I keep looking at Atecas when I'm out, and try to picture them with the Skoda front but cannot get excited about the car.

Have I made the right choice....only time will tell!

I'm sure you have made the right choice - I don't think there is actually a bad choice. It's just a question of preference. 

I like the thought of the Karoq as it has that SUV look and you sit a bit higher. But it is a brand new model and more expensive than equivalent Octavia. 

Depends on your ‘needs / wants’ really.

The Octavia should of had most of its bugs ironed out whereas the Karoq WILL have issues for the first year or so, most of these will be niggling trim issue, but still annoying.

For the Octavia:

Well proven

Better MPG (more streamlined and lower)

Bigger boot

For the Karoq:

Newer model (if that is important to you)

Higher driving position for better road visibility

Easier to get in and out of if you have mobility issues.

Drive them both and see which one you prefer, then compare the specs side by side as there will be differences between the SE Technology between models. 

19 hours ago, del-gti said:

Well I'm the same height as your wife and my wife is a foot shorter so space isn't an issue for us. Good to know you've ordered the model I'm looking at. 

Did you get the same timescales for delivery? 

Delivery time was end of February/early march at the latest. I think Simpsons might have pre ordered some, but don't quote me on that.

Picked up some brochures from local dealership this morning. No Karoqs at the dealership as yet but was able to look at the colours available. Actually quite like the Energy blue of the Karoq though was considering Candy white.

Did get a chance to look at a Seat Ateca, as part of same dealership and quite liked the look of it. Seems big and looks bigger than it actually is.

Dealership wasn't up to much though, no one approached me at all. Might have been as my daughter was with me. Toyota dealership were much more helpful.

On 11/12/2017 at 13:34, del-gti said:

Picked up some brochures from local dealership this morning. No Karoqs at the dealership as yet but was able to look at the colours available. Actually quite like the Energy blue of the Karoq though was considering Candy white.

Did get a chance to look at a Seat Ateca, as part of same dealership and quite liked the look of it. Seems big and looks bigger than it actually is.

Dealership wasn't up to much though, no one approached me at all. Might have been as my daughter was with me. Toyota dealership were much more helpful.

Having your daugther with you shouldnt have made any difference! Still should have at least acknowledged you! Problem with Toyota despite reliability reputation is that they are getting ugly as sin!

Worth looking at a SEAT Arona if the size of a Ateca or Karoq is not required.  1.0TSI Manuals at the dealers, DSG's not for a few weeks.

The Ateca FR 2.0TDI DSG 4Drive is nice but £30,000 nice still.

DSCN3459.JPG.737c9ff525935a501783eed4d5b8ef9b.JPG

DSCN3462.JPG.7b705d0278b44f7d350297d2014f307b.JPG

DSCN3477.JPG.2a0c4068d4ceddab29965faf43daaa64.JPG

Edited by Headinawayoffski

On 10/11/2017 at 19:32, del-gti said:

Considering a replacement for my Fabia and spotted some decent offers on new Octavia and Karoq. 

Budget constraints mean that the model I'm looking at for both is the 1.0 TSi SE Technology DSG. Both are approx 12 weeks for delivery and are within about £20 p/m of each other.  Obviously the Karoq is a brand new model but still based on the MQB platform so expect the driving experience to be similar.

Which would you go for? Any advice gratefully received.

Do you need space, or is ir certain combinations of equipment you require.

If a Fabia has been big enough, then try looking at Seat Arona.

If you happy not to add any options, then seriously consider leasing, there are some cracking deals on both Karoq and Arona at the moment.  Even allowing for deposit deals average well under £200 per month. Example here

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/seat/arona/

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/skoda/karoq/

You would struggle to get these cars as a purchase then keep the depreciation (fall in value) under £5000 if you resold it in 2 years.  

Different calculations, if you intend to keep 8-10 years, just get cheapest loan (try your bank) and biggest discount, and spec it with your must have options.

23 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

DSCN3477.JPG.2a0c4068d4ceddab29965faf43daaa64.JPG

I looked at an ateca after seeing a colleague's, they are nice to sit in and i really like that orange

I might have been more interested in either that or a or leon cupra sw  if the salesboy was interested in selling me a car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Do you need space, or is ir certain combinations of equipment you require.

If a Fabia has been big enough, then try looking at Seat Arona.

If you happy not to add any options, then seriously consider leasing, there are some cracking deals on both Karoq and Arona at the moment.  Even allowing for deposit deals average well under £200 per month. Example here

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/seat/arona/

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/skoda/karoq/

You would struggle to get these cars as a purchase then keep the depreciation (fall in value) under £5000 if you resold it in 2 years.  

Different calculations, if you intend to keep 8-10 years, just get cheapest loan (try your bank) and biggest discount, and spec it with your must have options.

Ended up going for a lease Karoq. As you say, there are some great deals out there and I hope that I got one of them. 3+23 @ £199 p/m, 8000 miles. Was happy with this as didn't want a large payment up front. Means just over £5100 over two years.

The Fabia wasn't really big enough but we soldiered on with it as it was cheap to run and with it being 5-door, wasn't the least practical car ever. In fairness, I still manage to fit 4 adults in it for the carpool, the childseat fits.....just (parcel shelf needs to come out when it goes in the boot) and it helped us move house twice! 

I did consider the Arona but I figured I could get the bigger car for not much more money. The Karoq will aso become the primary vehicle, reIegating the wife's Astra to secondary car so the space will come in handy at times. I also considered the Ateca but I think the interior of the Karoq looks like a nicer place to be. Think it might be better equipped too. 

Thanks for all the input/suggestions.