Wont Start up - Battery Issue?

Guy

My 2.0 petrol Vrs wont start up - started up fine last Monday and as of yesterday all I get is relay clicking when I turn the key, all lights work except my aftermarket HID kit and LED side lights at the front, just want confirmation thats it the battery that gone. I am considering to jump start it this morning to see if it will start up.

Paul

Yes, jump start it. If it starts then it is either the battery or something draining it. 

I'm assuming you haven't ran it since last Monday. No-one on here can give the confirmation you are asking for, however If you go to halfords or the like and get them to test your battery (and alternator if you have sufficient charge in the battery for them to do this also) then they can give you the confirmation you are asking for.

The car had not been started since i put it up the driveway on Monday afternoon. We did have a heavy frost on Wednesday morning, jumped it and it started up first time. I did put my avo across the terms and got 11.68 volts, the battery is about 8 years old so I think it time for a new one. 

Paul

On 11/12/2017 at 14:03, Flyfisherman said:

The car had not been started since i put it up the driveway on Monday afternoon. We did have a heavy frost on Wednesday morning, jumped it and it started up first time. I did put my avo across the terms and got 11.68 volts, the battery is about 8 years old so I think it time for a new one. 

Paul

And a small 4 watt solar charger would help if the car is regularly parked up for a week or so.

The car needs a good run in between starting to replenish the charge used for starting in the first place. Even more so if you have an older diesel?

If you are just starting the car to see it runs, and then turning off, or possibly just a short journey then i would expect a battery to go flat fairly quickly as it has no chance to recharge.

If it has a good run in-between then I would get the alternator tested after fitting your new battery and fully charging it.

On 12/11/2017 at 15:57, ryan-re said:

Whats the voltage like when the engine is running?

Measured today 14.35volts - that fine so no alternator issue. Anyway new battery fitted this afternoon and what a difference on start up - no more labouring instant start up - new battery did the trick.

Thanks for all your help

Paul

8 years is a long time for the battery!!

Edit: I once got 6.5 years out of my mk5 original varta, I changed the vRS at 5 years preventatively just so as not to be stranded.

Edited by TheClient