Gotta say goodbye for now.....

Agerbundsen

A move to a flat in town and age related diminished physical prowess dictates a shift from Yeti to ???? Driving much less now, as everything is within walking distance, so from 20,000 miles/year in the past to now a bit over 5000 miles/year. The Diesel has not squawked as yet, but the indicated mileage on average has reduced from 17+ to around 11 km/liter - far too many far too short trips for the Diesel in the long run.

Definitely need to move to DSG. Don't really need the extra size of the Karoq, but....... Do not need towing capacity, and I am in a tizzy over 4X4 or not?  Test drove a FWD Tiguan as the closest to the Karoq, which does not come here till next year. Surprised at how easy the front wheel spin was provoked by a little swift acceleration on a damp road. (Just goes to show how well the Haldex works without you knowing it).

The current thinking is that the VW T-Roc with 4WD and DSG might be a suitable alternative. This is still not introduced officially here, but will be in December. Same outside handy dimensions as the Yeti. Pricing for the T-Roc is known, but not the Karoq. My guess is that they will be equivalent.

So what do you say? Leave Skoda after 12 years and go to the big VW brother or stick with the Karoq?

What about the Seat Aroma? Good reviews, although Seat's tend to be a bit dark inside for me, the size looks right for you. 

In 2019 the Skoda version will be released.

If you are looking for something the same size as the Yeti then look at: Peugeot 2008, Suzuki Vitara with 1.4 Booster engine,  Mazda CX-3 etc. etc. Loads of smallish SUV's to look at and many with excellent auto gearboxes - that in CX-3 is particularly praised. Ateca, Karoq and Tiguan are noticeably bigger than the Yeti. 

Edited by Expatman

^^ Good answer. 

Cursory checks online suggest the Vitara a bit cheaper than most, although the 1.4  Sport Boosterjet mentioned (with 4x4 and automatic box) starts to get expensive compared to the more basic 1.6 petrol Vitaras.  CX3 might be smaller inside? ... haven't, yet, seen closely, or driven, either the CX3 or the Vitara but both would be on my personal list of possible Yeti replacements.  My understanding (as explained to me on the phone by a dealer) is that the 1.4 Sport Vitara (with Boosterjet and Allgrip 4x4 as standard) definitely has a torque converter as an option - the diesels have twin clutch - and I just can't remember whether the 1.6 petrols are torque converter or twin clutch.  Obviously enough the 1.4S with the turbo, four wheel drive and auto box is well specced ... but, with the auto box and metallic paint it retails at £24,599 which, I would imagine, would be up there with other, possibly more prestigious, makes??

Edited by oldstan

16 minutes ago, oldstan said:

^^ Good answer. 

Cursory checks online suggest the Vitara a bit cheaper than most, although the 1.4  Sport Boosterjet mentioned (with 4x4 and automatic box) starts to get expensive compared to the more basic 1.6 petrol Vitaras.  CX3 might be smaller inside? ... haven't, yet, seen closely, or driven, either the CX3 or the Vitara but both would be on my personal list of possible Yeti replacements.  My understanding (as explained to me on the phone by a dealer) is that the 1.4 Sport Vitara (with Boosterjet and Allgrip 4x4 as standard) definitely has a torque converter as an option - the diesels have twin clutch - and I just can't remember whether the 1.6 petrols are torque converter or twin clutch.  Obviously enough the 1.4S with the turbo, four wheel drive and auto box is well specced ... but, with the auto box and metallic paint it retails at £24,599 which, I would imagine, would be up there with other, possibly more prestigious, makes??

It all depends what discount you can negotiate to get to the "true" price. Sales of new cars have been falling month on month and I would imagine that dealers will be desperately keen to do a good deal at the moment - particularly coming up to Christmas.

12 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

What about the VW T-Roc which I believe is a near exact size to the Yeti?

I like the look of the T-Roc but wouldn't buy a brand new model in the first year of it's life! Reviews suggest internals are a bit low rent with only hard plastic surfaces and no soft touch - which we are used to in the Yeti! Will have to wait till we see one in the flesh. 

Edited by Expatman

I will go and look at a T-Roc in Germany soon.  The Karoq is not going to be available here for more than 2 months, so we will see how the Truck turns out.

On 11/12/2017 at 17:28, Agerbundsen said:

A move to a flat in town and age related diminished physical prowess dictates a shift from Yeti to ???? Driving much less now, as everything is within walking distance, so from 20,000 miles/year in the past to now a bit over 5000 miles/year. The Diesel has not squawked as yet, but the indicated mileage on average has reduced from 17+ to around 11 km/liter - far too many far too short trips for the Diesel in the long run.

Within walking distance of Bilka then?  ;)

On 13/11/2017 at 16:14, kenfowler3966 said:

What about the VW T-Roc which I believe is a near exact size to the Yeti?

That would be on my Yeti replacement list but I've read that it has similar internal size to the Audi Q2.

I've looked at one of those and found that with me driving at 6' 1" there isn't much knee room in the back, especially if passengers are quite tall.

In the Yeti there's plenty of space - as has been said many times, the Yeti can't be beaten for interior space for its overall size.

So it looks as though I will have to go up in size and be looking at the Karoq, Tiguan and Q5.

Edited by VAGCF

You could always look for a new stock Yeti, petrol with DSG if you don't want to go bigger. Like you say a Yeti can't be beaten for interior space viz external dimensions and you seem to be struggling and forced to go up in size when you don't want to, especially as you are moving into town where a smaller car is definitely an advantage. Have to move quickly as I'm not sure how much longer Yeti's will be available from stock.

Decision made. I will be sorry to see the Yeti go, but it will be replaced with a VW T-Roc Sport, 190 Hp 4x4 TSI, 7-speed DSG, Navigation as only extra to Sport specification. Health, age and reduced driving requirements to about 5000 miles/year strongly dictated the spec's.

The 190 HP were not really necessary, but that is the only petrol 4X4 offered here.

You are moving to the city and annual mileage will be 5,000, so why will you need 4 wheel drive? Added weight, added complexity and unless it comes with CrossClimate tyres you will be changing from summer to winter tyres in spring and autumn.

3 hours ago, Expatman said:

You are moving to the city and annual mileage will be 5,000, so why will you need 4 wheel drive? Added weight, added complexity and unless it comes with CrossClimate tyres you will be changing from summer to winter tyres in spring and autumn.

I would have thought that in Denmark cold weather tyres are the norm for all vehicles in winter unless they keep them on all year round.

Whoops, didn't notice Agerbundsen hailed from Denmark.

Still, I think it is a fair point about 4 wheel drive and living in the city though; in my experience the Danes are pretty good at keeping their cities moving in bad weather. Much better than UK which generally comes to a halt with 1/2 inch of the white stuff!

I could never quite understand the "I'm using the car less and the fuel consumption has increased so I need a new car" thing.  (I acknowledge the OP has health reasons as well.)

I've gone from 25,000km/pa to 5,000km/pa.  My fuel economy is about 30% worse but my total fuel spend is still less than previous.  I figure I'll just keep driving the car until it dies.

If you want a new car then just say "I want a new car" rather than justify it with running costs.  Generally, the depreciation on a new car purchase will be way more than the cost of maintaining an already depreciated vehicle.

11 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

I could never quite understand the "I'm using the car less and the fuel consumption has increased so I need a new car" thing. 

In my case,  it wasn't so much due to any increase in fuel consumption, it was more the potential reliability issue of having a diesel car and not doing sufficiently long journeys in order to keep the 'tubes' clean. That's why I made the decision to move from diesel back to petrol....

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 26.11.2017 at 16:43, Agerbundsen said:

Decision made. I will be sorry to see the Yeti go, but it will be replaced with a VW T-Roc Sport, 190 Hp 4x4 TSI, 7-speed DSG, Navigation as only extra to Sport specification. Health, age and reduced driving requirements to about 5000 miles/year strongly dictated the spec's.

The 190 HP were not really necessary, but that is the only petrol 4X4 offered here.

Same here. Yeti (Geiti) will be replaced with a Mini Cooper Countryman All4, 136 Hp petrol, manual,White/Black, with extras for NOK 130k.

My wife’s 2013 diesel Fabia is doing 3-4K a year mainly short journeys with a longer trip to York and back every couple of weeks.

Zero issues in 3 years use. Never seen the dpf warning  light in anger.

I don’t think there is really an issue with low mileage as long as occasional regular longer trips of about 25 miles non stop are in the mix

11.5k in its first six months, then stood on the forecourt for sale 6 months as too expensive. Price reduced as end of year clear out making it suddenly good value. Now done another 10k in 3 years

OK, multiple reasons for the change and the choice:

1. Need to switch to DSG for reasons of health. Don't like it, but have to accept fact.

2. When switching, petrol is clearly indicated rather than diesel.

3. Tested FWD with 150 HP - not happy with front wheel stomp under acceleration, as the Haldex just gets the job done - always.

4.Only Yeti available here was a wimpy FWD.

5. Don't want to wait many months for the Karoq - and do not need the bigger size.

The T-Roc in 4M and petrol is only available with the 2 litre 190 HP. It's overkill, but ought to be fun too. Tyre choice will likely be the new Michelin all year, which will fit the winter weather here and allow occasional diversions to other Scandihovian countries and Germany in winter.

Edited by Agerbundsen