I hate the Yeti vague loss of tyre pressure alert

gumdrop

This el cheapo setup has alarmed me when towing a caravan on the M5 and M4 forcing a rapid exit.

Yesterday 06/03/18 the alarm came on, as I was close to home I continued home and left it for a

couple of hours again on testing no difference in tyre pressures found, I hate this crap system.

If you had not continued but been able to stop someplace safe and check the tyre pressures and temperatures you might of found one or more tyres being hotter than the others, so the warning was a good one.

Do you adjust the pressures to suit towing the caravan and set the TPMS before setting off?

42 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

This el cheapo setup has alarmed me when towing a caravan on the M5 and M4 forcing a rapid exit.

Yesterday 06/03/18 the alarm came on, as I was close to home I continued home and left it for a

couple of hours again on testing no difference in tyre pressures found, I hate this crap system.

I wasn't impressed either with the TPMS on the Yeti or the similar one on my CR-V.  When it alarms you then have to stop and check each tyre unless it's obvious where the problem is and my experience is that they are often false. All in all this type of system appears not to be overly reliable.  I have therefore invested in a TyrePal.  This system provides a continuous real time reading of the pressure and temperature of each tyre, including the spare if required.  Now when I get the inevitable alarm from the car's TPMS, i just glance at the TyrePal screen and if all is OK (which it normally is) I just keep going and reset the car's system when convenient.  It also means regular checking of tyre pressures is a thing of the past.

I've had the Tyrepal on 2 cars now for over 2 years and apart from a battery change on the sensors, it has worked without a problem.  Just for completeness, I have no connection whatsoever with TyrePal and I assume similar products are available from other manufacturers.

Edited by x19
Gramatical error

The system seems to work pretty well for me considering it is a basic TPMS set up, I’ve had only one false alarm and that was when I’d reset the tyre pressure and failed to press the reset. Soon fixed.

I'm honestly surprised at some of the comments in this thread.

My understanding is the system is a safety warning that detects anomalies in the tyre pressures on the car, calculated by a difference in rotational value compared to the other tyres from what has been set as "normal" in the TPMS system.

The "warning" is very specific and is valid for that point in time, conditions etc. So to be honest unless it has detected a puncture or other catastrophic pressure loss ... which will be obvious, then checking the tyre pressures, hours  or days later is actually fairly pointless, as the conditions (loss of pressure, increase in pressure, temperature changes and all the others that may have triggered the warning and are likely to be transient) will have changed and the warning will be invalid or at best have reduced validity.

So treat the system for what it is a "warning," check your pressures regularly, and at the same time set/reset the the TPMS system, and if it shows a warning investigate, that's what its there for, its a point in time system so should be used it as such.

Just my take on the issues/system in general.

Edited by TruckbusUK
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had 3 puncture in the last 2 months - each time the warning light comes up.

2 x it was easy to see why as looking at the tyre there was clearly visible screws. - both a new tyre..

The third time it said there was a loss of pressure - but I could not find anything - then careful examination showed a small screw on inside at front - so I understand the comment - that which wheel would be good.. I was on my way to an airport 130 miles away - so had no choice but to get a new tyre on the way.. It must have taken me 15 minutes to find the tyre / screw. Luckily Quick fit had a new tyre in stock and did it immediately... Quick for a change...

Then I had a 4th alarm - with no found reason - all pressures were OK - reset again the TPS and all good for the last 2 weeks..

I have had one genuine warning with a screw in the sidewall of a new tyre,

other warnings must be along the lines of temperature increasing tyre pressure.

or loss of pressure over time. I check my pressures before any long journey or

weekly. I think I may try a standard pressure for all four tyres and just use the

electric inflator set to 2.3bar all round daily!

I just remembered one genuine on my first Yeti again in the side wall but I found

this one when I did a routine pressure check before towing the following day

Edited by gumdrop

10 hours ago, ben4012 said:

Does it tell you there might be a problem? Yes.

That was exactly my problem, i.e. the the system told me there was a problem when there wasn't.  This proved quite exciting when I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of a motorway and visually check there was nothing significant that had to be dealt with immediately before pulling off at the next junction and checking all 4 tyres with a gauge to determine I hadn't got a problem at all.

A thing of the past for me now.

2 hours ago, x19 said:

That was exactly my problem, i.e. the the system told me there was a problem when there wasn't.  This proved quite exciting when I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of a motorway and visually check there was nothing significant that had to be dealt with immediately before pulling off at the next junction and checking all 4 tyres with a gauge to determine I hadn't got a problem at all.

A thing of the past for me now.

You've ignored my point about damage and accident.

Not to mention it's a legal requirement. ABS based sensors have spotted three punctures for me that a look and a kick would have missed. 

Edited by ben4012

11 minutes ago, ben4012 said:

You've ignored my point about damage and accident.

Not to mention it's a legal requirement. ABS based sensors have spotted three punctures for me that a look and a kick would have missed. 

You've ignored my point.  Something that can't be relied upon not to give false readings (I had 2 on my Yeti) is as much use as earache.  That's why I've now got something that can be relied upon and if it isn't working it's immediately apparent.  I never even mentioned "look and kick" so I don't know where that came from.  I also never mentioned it wasn't a legal requirement.  My system is in addition to the car's system and it's the one I take notice of now.

2 hours ago, x19 said:

You've ignored my point.  Something that can't be relied upon not to give false readings (I had 2 on my Yeti) is as much use as earache.  That's why I've now got something that can be relied upon and if it isn't working it's immediately apparent.  I never even mentioned "look and kick" so I don't know where that came from.  I also never mentioned it wasn't a legal requirement.  My system is in addition to the car's system and it's the one I take notice of now.

Bully for you. 

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Legal requirement on cars registered after 1st January 2012.

I don't think so? My 2013 reg car doesn't have TPMS.

However I believe cars fitted with TPMS that were first registered after Jan 1st 2012 must not show a fault condition at the MOT test. My understanding is that all cars registered since 2014 must have TPMS (at least in UK) 

No because Type Approved before 2012.,  like 2009.  Legal requirement for New Models registered after 1st January 2012.

Mk3 Fabia from 2014 did not legally need them, but got them.

The UK is in the EU, the EU legislation applies in the UK, except when the UK ignores it, like when, Germany, France, Italy etc do their own thing as well, impose stuff and then just forget and delay.

UK Mot and UK Mot coming.

No new equipment in test stations, still just an examiner and a side kick visually checking, 

fault lights etc. DRL's not in the MOT, Fog lights not in the MOT, and if Visual Smoke from Diesels is in the MOT 

then lots will be getting a fail, or maybe not.   No smoke detecting equipment other than at present, and a examiners opinion.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Legal requirement on cars registered after 1st January 2012.

This statement is still incorrect though! Or at least incomplete....

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 1

Yes, that is correct, the statement is incorrect as i posted it.   As was the statement i was posting after about it being a Legal Requirement.

The statement is just as was published at the time and since, as with ESP and DRL's, never an explanation about Type Approval and before and after.