Higher mileage Mk3

Hi,

Thinking about one of these as need something to cart mountain bikes and kit around in (don't want a van or roof / bike rack) and sick of squeezing stuff in current cupra 290.

Presuming there will be no issues with higher mileage examples (80-100k) at 3/4 years old?  Anything to look out for especially?

Many thanks,

N

What type of mk3? Diesel/Petrol, VRs or not, manual/auto, sedan style or estate?

How many mountain bikes and passengers?

Edited by Gerrycan

11 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

What type of mk3? Diesel/Petrol, VRs or not, manual/auto, sedan style or estate?

How many mountain bikes and passengers?

Thinking diesel VRS and possibly estate.  Typically two mountain bikes with two passengers and kit.  We can squeeze this in the Cupra at the moment but on trips (weekends or longer) typically end up leaving stuff behind (cleaning stuff / tools etc.) as it is a hassle to fit in (especially when one of the mountain bikers is your mrs and is bringing suitcases etc.!!).

As an example we'll be way from home for about 10 days this xmas and would love to take the bikes etc. along but it will be a royal faff with space available ATM.

Also at the moment we can't carry any additional passengers when fully laden.

Edited by nicknameless

The only reliability thing I can think of that regularly crops up this forum with the diesel is the water pump. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

The chances are though that it would already have been replaced on a second hand vehicle under warranty since the issues occur quite early, but I am not sure how that is checked on an individual basis.

It depends on the type and size of mountain bike, but with ours (hardtail bikes and we are only average size people) it is possible to remove just the front wheels, lower saddles and mount them vertically in our estate (no false floor)

Leaves a ton of room for other stuff then, including suitcases. If you can mount the bikes  vertically it is possible to fit a passenger in the smaller rear seat.

You do not get any greater floor area in the estate compared to the sedan/hatch but the extra airspace behind the rear seats facilitates the vertical mounting

If you have to lay the bikes down in the back on top of each other then remaining storage is less spectacular and little chance of an extra passenger.

Be good if you know someone with an Octavia estate and you can try out your options before purchase.

Cyclo-cross type road bikes with sloping top tube, you can fit 3 bikes and 3 people easy...fairly easy :)

Edited by Gerrycan

1 hour ago, nicknameless said:

Thinking diesel VRS and possibly estate.  Typically two mountain bikes with two passengers and kit.  We can squeeze this in the Cupra at the moment but on trips (weekends or longer) typically end up leaving stuff behind (cleaning stuff / tools etc.) as it is a hassle to fit in (especially when one of the mountain bikers is your mrs and is bringing suitcases etc.!!).

As an example we'll be way from home for about 10 days this xmas and would love to take the bikes etc. along but it will be a royal faff with space available ATM.

Also at the moment we can't carry any additional passengers when fully laden.

Cupra estate? If you're happy with the Cupra and the only issue is space...

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

It depends on the type and size of mountain bike, but with ours (hardtail bikes and we are only average size people) it is possible to remove just the front wheels, lower saddles and mount them vertically in our estate (no false floor)

Leaves a ton of room for other stuff then, including suitcases. If you can mount the bikes  vertically it is possible to fit a passenger in the smaller rear seat.

You do not get any greater floor area in the estate compared to the sedan/hatch but the extra airspace behind the rear seats facilitates the vertical mounting

If you have to lay the bikes down in the back on top of each other then remaining storage is less spectacular and little chance of an extra passenger.

Be good if you know someone with an Octavia estate and you can try out your options before purchase.

Cyclo-cross type road bikes with sloping top tube, you can fit 3 bikes and 3 people easy...fairly easy :)

Many thanks - short travel full sussers with droppers so sounds like we may be able to mount vertically.  How do you secure them?

3 hours ago, ahenners said:

Cupra estate? If you're happy with the Cupra and the only issue is space...

Wanting to move away from the Cupra.  Do 18kish a year so can probably justify a diesel and some issues with seating position in the cupra leading to some hip ache on longer journeys.

2 hours ago, nicknameless said:

Wanting to move away from the Cupra.  Do 18kish a year so can probably justify a diesel and some issues with seating position in the cupra leading to some hip ache on longer journeys.

Noo! Don't do it! I swapped my cupra 280 for a superb 190 and now an octy vrs diesel. Even a tuning box on the latter doesn't match the leon for grins, and I miss mine. It was remapped too which made it slightly insane, easily the fastest point to point car I've driven / owned. Why not buy a roof rack? Although I've got the octy estate, I invariably put my bikes on the roof, especially mtb covered in crap! 

2 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Noo! Don't do it! I swapped my cupra 280 for a superb 190 and now an octy vrs diesel. Even a tuning box on the latter doesn't match the leon for grins, and I miss mine. It was remapped too which made it slightly insane, easily the fastest point to point car I've driven / owned. Why not buy a roof rack? Although I've got the octy estate, I invariably put my bikes on the roof, especially mtb covered in crap! 

Lol.  TBH I don't have any sort of love affair with the Cupra.  It's fast granted, but pretty boring.  Don't think I'll miss it.  My Clio 200 on the other hand is another matter!!

Prefer the bikes in the car as there will be times when we are away from the car and bikes.

It's a soulless device granted, but as a stealthy unassuming q car for rapid x country it was perfect. I'm not much of a pilot, but there wasn't much on the road that could keep up on my "commute" across mud Wales 

7 hours ago, nicknameless said:

Many thanks - short travel full sussers with droppers so sounds like we may be able to mount vertically.  How do you secure them?

Trips are regrettably infrequent so no purpose built brackets and vertical tolerances are low. Just bungees and foam between potential contacts points.

The point made about muddy bikes inside the car is not one I've had to worry about where we live (Australia) but a couple of large tarps are always in the car for emergencies.

Dust gets in everywhere though :(

Edited by Gerrycan
Poor gramma

I drive a 75k 4 years old 2.0 diesel Octavia Mk3. Only encountered waterpump issue, so far.

They should be pretty reliable, make sure DSG oil has been changed on the dot every 40k. Make sure it's been serviced well and on schedule.

16 hours ago, stever750 said:

It's a soulless device granted, but as a stealthy unassuming q car for rapid x country it was perfect. I'm not much of a pilot, but there wasn't much on the road that could keep up on my "commute" across mud Wales 

"Mud Wales"??

You from New Zealand by any chance?

Nonrev.   Bought a  used Mk 3 (2013 regd) with 50000   clocked.   Has now done 70000 with complete satisfaction trouble-free miles.   It is only a 1.6 Turbo  105 bhp but has more than enough oomph for a family saloon, NO tax to pay and I get 60 plus mpg on runs.   What more do you want?

1 hour ago, Nonrev said:

Nonrev.   Bought a  used Mk 3 (2013 regd) with 50000   clocked.   Has now done 70000 with complete satisfaction trouble-free miles.   It is only a 1.6 Turbo  105 bhp but has more than enough oomph for a family saloon, NO tax to pay and I get 60 plus mpg on runs.   What more do you want?

Glad you're happy with it. But since you asked what more could want...

Refinement & a decent power band? I had an Audi A3 with the same engine for a week whilst my VRS was at the dealer's. Even with the additional Audi sound deadening the engine was noisy, and the noise never really went away even at motorway speed. Without the turbo engaged the engine was completely gutless, and barely much better with it engaged.

On 11/19/2017 at 15:22, ahenners said:

Glad you're happy with it. But since you asked what more could want...

Refinement & a decent power band? I had an Audi A3 with the same engine for a week whilst my VRS was at the dealer's. Even with the additional Audi sound deadening the engine was noisy, and the noise never really went away even at motorway speed. Without the turbo engaged the engine was completely gutless, and barely much better with it engaged.

To be fair, coming from a VRS such as yours anything is going to be slow :D

I went from a 2 litre turbo petrol Saab to a 1.6 TDi DSG, was expecting the Skoda to be slower, but it isn't too bad, sometimes I wish it was a little quicker for swift overtakes, but 99% of the time it is perfectly adequate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nonrev said:

Nonrev.   I  guess I must be getting old (84) but I am ex police advanced driver and know my cars.   Performance in this country is very   over-stated  as it can very rarely be used LEGALLY.    I do like quietness and  comfort with brisk acceleration but  find compared with cars 50 years ago they all have this.  Compare some very ordinary family saloons of today with high-powered semi-sports of yesteryear???   I am amazed the manual gear-change is taking so long to disappear!   Whatever you get, make the most of it  -  we'll l be battery powered  and driverless before long.   Best of luck with your  choice.

Just been chatting about this in the pub. How back in the 80s when we all started driving, anything under 12s to 60 was really quick, now a cooking diesel can smash that with ease and it's nothing! Search YouTube fir videos of tesla model s acceleration, electric propulsion will take acceleration g to another level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever750 said:

Just been chatting about this in the pub. How back in the 80s when we all started driving, anything under 12s to 60 was really quick, . 

Luxury!!

When I started driving small, economy cars, you used an hour glass to measure the 0-60, if your car could actually do 60mph. Official top speed of a Standard '8' was 61mph (downhill imo). Unfettled mini and 105E were good for just over 70mph at full throttle.

And we still managed to overtake a slower moving vehicle on  a 'B' road. Just took a bit of planning..... a lot of planning.

Modern cars are comparative miracles of performance, efficiency, low emissions, safety, ride and handling,

Drivers on the other hand are just as bad, or good, as they have ever been.

Edited by Gerrycan

9 hours ago, stever750 said:

Just been chatting about this in the pub. How back in the 80s when we all started driving, anything under 12s to 60 was really quick, now a cooking diesel can smash that with ease and it's nothing! Search YouTube fir videos of tesla model s acceleration, electric propulsion will take acceleration g to another level. 

Exactly. Even my cheap and silent Nissan Leaf electric can easily match the loud Porsche 2 seater in front at traffic lights accelerating to 30mph on local roads.

Tesla Roadster coming out in 2020 is expected to do 0-60 in 1.9s. Even low-spec Tesla can do it in around 6 seconds silently, whereas traditional cars can only manage this with thirsty and expensive sports trim engine.

My first car was a Ford Popular with a side valve engine, no heater/wireless. etc, etc,   It had a top speed of about 45 mph but with TRANSVERSE LEAF (cart-spring) suspension, if you went anywhere near this speed you bounced all over the road.   It also only did about 27/30  mpg.  Who says we havn't progressed?    Happy days!  Nonrev!

3 hours ago, Nonrev said:

My first car was a Ford Popular with a side valve engine, no heater/wireless. etc, etc,   It had a top speed of about 45 mph but with TRANSVERSE LEAF (cart-spring) suspension, if you went anywhere near this speed you bounced all over the road.   It also only did about 27/30  mpg.  Who says we havn't progressed?    Happy days!  Nonrev!

Luxury!

My first car had three wheels, one door and one cylinder. Spare parts were scavanged from another one dumped in a mosquito infested ditch in deepest Essex.

Being a BMW it could 50mph or 50mpg.

Tell that to todays kids and they just laugh in your face!