Reporting Bad Drivers

io1901

What's everyone's opinion on reporting  vehicles , to police or company (if commercial), for bad/ dangerous driving? 

After recently seeing some nasty accidents on the M6 in the 50mph limited roadworks between j15 and j19 I have been tempted (but haven't) to report several HGVs for tailgating (less than 10ft at 50mph)  and bullying (flashing lights, horns) cars in the centre lane.

I've forwarded footage before to both the company the sign written van belonged to that racing around and cutting people up. Also the police numerous times for a particular cretin car driver who I've seen cut up countless drivers, race down the hard shoulder, jump red lights and generally be a *****. The van driver I've seen since and driving considerately to other road users. The car driver still drives like a **** in continuously changing parade of cars and only a serious accident is going to stop him, hopefully when it happens it will involved a sturdy object and not another driver.

Lane hogging when you're not overtaking is pain for all road users causing even more congestion so I would report both but  wouldn't hold my breathe for police action if they treat this kind of behaviour like West Yorkshire Police do.... or don't

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Lane hogging when you're not overtaking is pain for all road users causing even more congestion so I would report both but  wouldn't hold my breathe for police action if they treat this kind of behaviour like West Yorkshire Police do.... or don't

That's the problem really they car drivers aren't lane hogging they will be going faster than the inside lane but not as fast as the HGV wants to go - there is nowhere for the car driver to go - several times now I've seen the driver pull into the outside lane  just to get  out of the way and then be undertaken. (HGV then speeds up and tailgates the next vehicle in the way)

1 minute ago, io1901 said:

That's the problem really they car drivers aren't lane hogging they will be going faster than the inside lane but not as fast as the HGV wants to go - there is nowhere for the car driver to go - several times now I've seen the driver pull into the outside lane  just to get  out of the way and then be undertaken. (HGV then speeds up and tailgates the next vehicle in the way)

That's dangerous bullying and should be reported.

I have seen plenty of people sticking to the middle lane and never moving on the M60 and M1 average speed zones. If you're in the left lane, not speeding but coming up to them you're only options are to cross into the third lane and then back to lane one or undertake. The first option creates more congestion as people are forced to use one lane out three. The second option can be dangerous. Hence my comment about lane hogging.

Report him to the company saying you've forwarded the complaint to the police too. Mine was video footage from my dashcam in both cases but the Police response was just the same reply saying they would look into the events and thank you for bringing it to their attention. 

Guest FurryFriend

My daughter  was threatened in a road rage incident down in Essex about 2 months ago. Great ape bloke in a company van carved her up in his Transit, she blew her horn, he slammed his brakes on, jumped out and gave her verbals. 

I spoke to his boss, and sent him the full dash cam footage from my daughters car. He was sacked the following day. 

Nobody threatens my kids! 

I asked him how HE would feel if it had been his wife or daughter. Lucky I wasn't in the car!! 

She's only 5 '..... I'm well over 6! 

Edited by FurryFriend

Personally, I'd rather take on a 6' bloke than a 5' lass from Tees to the Border. I'm married to a 5 ' Smoggie, and they're tame compared to a Geordie lass.:angry:

Police - No, they have better things to worry about that require less paperwork and more actual policing. Plus I don't have a dashcam or helmetcam, so nothing to use in evidence.

Company - Hell, yes. Few times, in fact. No idea what happened and the companies always say they can't release any info on an internal matter, but they promise they'll look into it... so likely nothing in most cases, but our drivers DO get it in the neck if someone ID's them driving badly and the Norbert Dentressangle one I reported probably got the same.

Double-edged sword. Before retirement, we had several strongly worded mentions in company driver's magazine about the attitude to what they referred to as reported bad driving of company vehicles. Then one day one of my mates got pulled in for so-called bad driving and speeding.  His version ( which I'd tend to believe as I've seen his driving standards), is that bloke in front was a slow and in his opinion, dangerous,  driver, driving well below a safe speed on the road and blocking all and every attempt to let our driver overtake on a DC.

I've had someone stopped for erratic driving before but I was following the arse down the road the the time and the controller on the phone was able to direct a police van to intercept.

I was genuinely quite impressed. Never knew the outcome. I wondered if he was drunk but he might have been on his phone. All over the place.

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

These lorries that have  " Hows My Driving, Ring 0800 XXX XXX "   Wouldn't it be good if you actually spoke to the driver

And tell him to get off his phone? 

I hope Fin69 is not driving while trying to contact the driver or they would be just as bad a driver as the person they are trying to contact.  Even hands free has proven to be a distraction while driving. (Recent research).

If the offending driver is on the phone you would get busy tone back or a voice message.

4 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

I hope Fin69 is not driving while trying to contact the driver or they would be just as bad a driver as the person they are trying to contact.  Even hands free has proven to be a distraction while driving. (Recent research).

If the offending driver is on the phone you would get busy tone back or a voice message.

1. You've totally misinterpreted my point to Auric. 

2. That's not how the scheme works. That number on the sticker puts you through to a 24hr 'help desk' who then record the incident and send the report off to the respective company who runs or owns the vehicle for them to deal with. 

9 hours ago, Aspman said:

I've had someone stopped for erratic driving before but I was following the arse down the road the the time and the controller on the phone was able to direct a police van to intercept.

I was genuinely quite impressed. Never knew the outcome. I wondered if he was drunk but he might have been on his phone. All over the place.

That reminded me of one I never updated on a few years ago that I posted on here, was waiting to see what happened to do a final vid:

Driver got 2 year suspended sentence (suspended for 2) and a 2 year driving ban. Open and empty bottles of whiskey in the car. I can't recall, but think around 3 times the limit ish. District judge gave reason for suspending the sentence due to the defenses mitigation that it was medicinal (I poo you not!) and not his first time caught drink driving... I will always report what I suspect to be a drink driver and after that one I no longer would pass the chance to prevent them from carrying on personally. 

Other driving stuff I have reported only two. A serious one which resulted in the driver loosing their licence due to what happened and the drivers attitude and actions following it. When the police said he had already been addressed for the manor of his driving 2 weeks before by them, I was more than happy to provide footage and take a day off work to go to court. Despite 2 independent witnesses (one in the other car killed by a dangerous driver 2 weeks before the court date) the police and public prosecutor didn't want to bother until they saw the footage and used it as evidence for the first time here, there have since been several prosecutions with dashcam footage used. 
Another one I reported was a new driver who very randomly managed to crash taking out a road bends left ahead warning sign and car should have been written off, only to find it around a week later further up the same road having crashed again this time into the chevrons on the other side of the road on a tight left hand bend for which the warning sign he had previously taken out warned of (fire brigade job)... I was miffed that the damaged signage would go unrelplaced for a long time if not reported and that the tax payer would be paying for it not the wee tool and his parents insurer. Police were aware due to the nature of second crash, but no one had told the authority that maintains roads and signage, so I did! 

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fin69 said:

1. You've totally misinterpreted my point to Auric. 

2. That's not how the scheme works. That number on the sticker puts you through to a 24hr 'help desk' who then record the incident and send the report off to the respective company who runs or owns the vehicle for them to deal with. 

Yes, deliberately to make another point.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone has said - pointless reporting to police as their manpower has been depleted thanks to the ideas of Tiny Blur and Great Big (twit), where all that was needed was cameras to get an income from what was claimed to be dangerous driving. I've got a front dashcam fitted for my protection.Mainly against what Swinton is calling "Nagging doubt", as there's a breed of drivers that forget that a car hasn't got a forcefield.

AG- all my cars have had Traffic Sign Recognition. MK1 EYEBALL(verified every so often, as yours were), by a compulsory eye test.  WHAT I 'd like to see fitted in cars around here is compulsory oncoming car (and space to pull into )recognition, coupled with local road speed limitation. 

NO- I 'm not being a grumpy old git who thinks that we need red flag man back as on open roads I love to get my foot down and drive by the seat of my pants. I'm sick & tired of brainless ( mostly ) bimbos who drive down narrow streets.

Situation- our road- width of an LWB TRANSIT. so if there's a line of parked cars, the road is virtual single track. I'm on my side of the road so when I spot on of these I slow down ( well blonds can't judge distance :blush:) and look for a spot where ( usually) Watnetta can pull into. Shock horror- I've spotted it when it should a good sight of me, but no- it's almost emergency stop time.

Perhaps we need a graduated driving test, as per bikes, to hone driving skills and observation.

Edited by VWD