Parking

Odin1123

29 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Whats Parking Assist like for Kerbing the Alloys

It could be lethal.... it is using the sensors to position the car relative to other cars and walls. There is a video online somewhere where you can see a car kerbing its rear wheel because the cars it was parallel parking between were on the footpath.

To oversimplify a bit, if the cars it is trying to park between are badly parked - it will badly park your car too. 

Bottom line is you have to watch carefully while it is steering or only let it do its tricks and only use it if the space looks good. I have it but if it didn't come included with the car, I wouldn't have paid for it EXCEPT for the fact that the 4 extra sensors on the side of the car can be useful for for spotting obstacles when the are all around yopu.  

They also detect pussy (4 legged) and my three dogs when parking. 

5 hours ago, Bignij said:

I can never seem to get mine square. Using camera and / or mirrors. It was never an issue with the Octavia. I still haven't used the parking assist yet which I paid for as an extra.:dry:

This is me, every park in my drive

22 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

It’s guaranteed. 

I wish I hadn’t paid for it on previous car. Apart from playing with it a handful of times, I never used it.

Couldn’t / wouldn’t trust it.

Go play somewhere safe - whatever that might be - to see if you can put your trust in it to squeeze between 2 vehicles and/or a kerb.

If it’s not a tight squeeze, then there’s no point in it.

I soon found that my inherent talent outshone the self-parking toy every time :)

23 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

3 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

It’s guaranteed. 

I wish I hadn’t paid for it on previous car. Apart from playing with it a handful of times, I never used it.

Couldn’t / wouldn’t trust it.

Go play somewhere safe - whatever that might be - to see if you can put your trust in it to squeeze between 2 vehicles and/or a kerb.

If it’s not a tight squeeze, then there’s no point in it.

I soon found that my inherent talent outshone the self-parking toy every time :)

You pay for Park Assist, Kerb your alloys then have to buy new ones,

Skoda, Simply Clever 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2017 at 15:32, Odin1123 said:

Friends with parking assist say it works but its scary.

Thats true, but only for the first few tries. :) 

On 11/17/2017 at 15:48, Auric Goldfinger said:

You pay for Park Assist, Kerb your alloys then have to buy new ones,

Skoda, Simply Clever 

No you don't.   :wondering:

On 16/11/2017 at 14:35, Bignij said:

I can never seem to get mine square. Using camera and / or mirrors. It was never an issue with the Octavia. I still haven't used the parking assist yet which I paid for as an extra.:dry:

I followed my (late) uncle's advice and did my first drive in an empty car park with stones on the ground - to allow you to learn where each wheel really was (A trick he learned in the war when he was regularly given this or that truck or vehicle to drive - from North Africa to Rome, via Monte Cassino ...).

I then did something similar in a largely empty car park with a few vehicles parked a decent distance apart - and the auto park was flawless - left or right, side or reverse parked.

What I learned is that it parks as near the middle of a moderate space as it can - it can get in a space that I cannot open a door to leave the car from! If it is a big space (ie a double one) it will park close to one car not bang in the middle.

Overall, getting in and out of spaces is brilliant - as long as you remember that it is Past ASSIST - you need to look at the actual space, are cars on the kerb, and remember that parking between two Fiat 500s will be harder for it as they're so narrow. It can make parking much, much easier, as long as you use YOUR brain.

Edited by ColinEdinburgh

18 hours ago, ColinEdinburgh said:

It can make parking much, much easier, as long as you use YOUR brain.

Ah well, you've hit on the critcical aspect or as my old boss used to say; 'There's the rub Bernard.' Which was strange 'cos none of us were called Bernard. :D

• Haha 1