New owner here

Mikeyd1

What colour did you go for? As when we bought our yeti back in June we didn’t get to choose the colour due to the dealer only having one car left in the spec we wanted :sadsmile:

Have to admit the cappuccino is kinda growing on me but I still wouldn’t choose it if I’d have had the choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

I bought mine in March and chose Onyx Grey, previously had Petrol Blue.

I think the Yeti looks better in darker colours but it's all down to personal choice.

Mines in grey too it looks nice with the dark glass.

12 minutes ago, cootuk said:

At a long stop I do put it in to neutral with handbrake on rather than sit blinding the person behind me.

I'm always conscious of blinding the driver behind and have often thought that it ought to be possible for the car to automatically switch the brake lights off or at least reduce their intensity a few seconds after the car senses that it is stationary.

• Like 1

Reply to earlier post re dsg

But even in manual mode it is still an automatic as far as pulling away. If the traffic speed is between zero and say 10mph, it just seems much happier running with clutch fully engaged in 1st gear at about 5mph and up to 10mph, which is pretty typical these days, rather than changing up to second in drive and then slipping the clutch to go along when slowed again at 5mph. I have been in long jams on motorways and dual c'ways where I have spent some time in first with no need for second gear.

Its a matter of mechanical sympathy which will hopefully prolong the life of my clutch to the next owner of the car in many years time. Yes it does work ok without intervention but having slowed to say 1mph and it still insists on staying in second with lots of clutch slipping to pull away again just grates on me if I can easily avoid it. And no I wouldn't be in second in a manual car slipping the clutch like mad, I would have changed down to first. It will also spread the wear between the two clutches.

Compared to driving a conventional car with large numbers of gear changes during a journey, one or two manual interventions when the car doesn't know what is going to happen is not a big issue. When in a jam, knock the lever sideways, and back, putting it in first gear. when moving along and traffic is speeding up at last, knock it to the right and it is straight back in D mode and will start changing as required.

It is only heavy vehicles, busses, vans etc that have a first gear lower than really needed, and generally set off in second. First is for hill starts fully loaded. I have never owned a car that was happy to set off in second.

My son bought a 3 year old focus with 20k on the clock earlier this year, excellent condition when looked at, ex motability car, and drove ok on a gentle test drive as my son had not driven an auto before. This had Fords version of the dsg with a dry clutch, It rapidly became apparent that 2nd/4th/6th gear clutch was worn out. This seems to have been caused by mainly driving around the busy Leeds area with lots of clutch slipping to speed up from near standstill in 2nd, when the fault was most obvious. Fortunately the warranty covered it and it is like new now with a new clutch pack.

Obviously drivers can chose what they want to do and the car will cope, I just think doing this is not a big deal and makes sense to reduce wear on the clutch, particularly the one for 2nd gear.

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 1

All these tips will become very handy. Before I posted on this forum I didn't really know nothing about this dsg gearbox. Ive just been reading about this zinc incursion or somethink has me a little worried

4 hours ago, longedge said:

I'm always conscious of blinding the driver behind and have often thought that it ought to be possible for the car to automatically switch the brake lights off or at least reduce their intensity a few seconds after the car senses that it is stationary.

This is the one thing about the system which doesn't work in the UK. Here drivers behind often hate having brake lights on in front of them and sometimes express their displeasure, yet drivers with a dsg have no real choice. Yes you can slip into neutral for a long delay, handbrake on and foot off the brake; but then the engine restarts! Logic is wrong there to me.

Apparently in other countries it is normal to hold the car on the brake when stopped and no-one is concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikeyd1 said:

All these tips will become very handy. Before I posted on this forum I didn't really know nothing about this dsg gearbox. Ive just been reading about this zinc incursion or somethink has me a little worried

If you are going to suffer this it will be evident whilst still in warranty. I had an isolated patch on my 2014 car which was fixed before it went back to the lease company in June.

Just watch out for any paint faults, as it is easier to make a claim before the blister has burst. Once burst it is difficult to prove it isn't a stone chip.

Better than my 2010 car though as that was supplied without the plastic door protectors fitted on later cars. Without them the rear doors suffered a lot of stone chip damage and had to be repainted at 18mths old before the protectors were added under a recall.

• Like 1

Just now, kenfowler3966 said:

If you are going to suffer this it will be evident whilst still in warranty. I had an isolated patch on my 2014 car which was fixed before it went back to the lease company in June.

Just watch out for any paint faults, as it is easier to make a claim before the blister has burst. Once burst it is difficult to prove it isn't a stone chip.

Better than my 2010 car though as that was supplied without the plastic door protectors fitted on later cars. Without them the rear doors suffered a lot of stone chip damage and had to be repainted at 18mths old before the protectors were added under a recall.

Will keep an eye out hopefully skoda has sorted the problem 

Guest FurryFriend
On 17/11/2017 at 07:54, pee81 said:

Look for a reputable tuning company to remap the engine as if your anything like me the downgrade in power will be frustrating at times,pulling away from junctions and overtaking it’s particularly noticeable.

other than that it’s a great car and we do really like ours.

As per others advice. 

Not something I'd be doing either! The 1.2 Yeti has more than adequate power for normal driving. Even loaded with luggage and passengers. 

Messing around with remaps is a sure fire way of increasing your insurance, as you will have modified the car. Not to mention probably kissing your engine warranty goodbye, increasing your fuel consumption, and inviting engine problems that aren't there to start with. 

Just get used to driving it for what it is, a very good car. 

Remapping is for boy racers, and completely unnecessary for normal public road use. I can pull away from junctions and overtake without any problem whatsoever, and my last car was a 3.5 litre engined Nissan

Different car, adapt to it. Save your money. 

Edited by FurryFriend

Still not heard from dealer yet I feel it's a bit strange.the car only needed a service and for me to pay the balance. On a side note I can't seem to stop thinking about this zinc blistering thing. Maybe I should of done more research I thought I did enough but only started reading abouts the zinc/Rust thing after I placed a deposit

36 minutes ago, Mikeyd1 said:

Still not heard from dealer yet I feel it's a bit strange.the car only needed a service and for me to pay the balance. On a side note I can't seem to stop thinking about this zinc blistering thing. Maybe I should of done more research I thought I did enough but only started reading abouts the zinc/Rust thing after I placed a deposit

Hi Mikeyd1, and welcome.  FWIW, here's my two pen'uth.  

1    Don't panic. 

2    You haven't said where you're based (add it to your profile?), so we can't begin to guess who your dealer is.  Some are better than others, it seems, both in performance and in customer comms.  Also, even good ones have off days.  Don't panic. 

3    The zinc inclusion problem was not uncommon back in the earlier days, and there were two or three others.  Most have now been corrected or, at worst, have proven solutions.  Check on this forum (and on the other one!) and you will find members who are on their second, third or even fourth Yeti.  Your Yeti is one of the last - don't panic. 

4    Do more research on any make/model and you'll probably find equivalent and worrying 'things to watch out for'.  Have a look at the Yeti's status in the AutoExpress Driver Satisfaction surveys over the last five, six years. 

5    Enjoy your Yeti.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikeyd1 said:

Don't worry you are buying a car that is in the final year of manufacture and has had all the teething problems well and truly sorted. Ignore the Jeremiahs and enjoy many years of motoring, the Yeti that will give you a smile every time you climb in.

• Like 1

Well Mike, you have so many replies I can't read them all. I have just traded my VW Golf 1.4 tsi se dsg estate for a 1.2 tsi se drive dsg Yeti. I like the Yeti much more. The Golf was more powerful, quiet and sophisticated, but the Yeti is more practical and much more fun. 

To avoid blinding those behind me when stopped at traffic lights with auto stop/start working,  I find that selecting P and applying the handbrake will not restart the engine but leave the lights and other services on. When you apply the footbrake and select D the engine will restart. You will very soon get used to driving it fluently. Happy times! 

• Like 1

We've had our Yeti (manual 1.2tsi SE L in plain blue) for a year now after 15 years owning a 3 door Astra. Its the best car we've ever owned,  plenty fast enough and super practical for two 6' adults, two kids who are very tall for their age and heading to be taller than their parents and ine insane springer spaniel. Everything about it fits our lifestyle perfectly.

The only thing it isn't is big and powerful enough to tow my parents caravan while fully laden,  but that is 't why we bought it. And I have a Superb Sportline 280 on order to repalce the ancient Vectra for towing duties anyway....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brijo said:

Hi Mikeyd1, and welcome.  FWIW, here's my two pen'uth.  

1    Don't panic. 

2    You haven't said where you're based (add it to your profile?), so we can't begin to guess who your dealer is.  Some are better than others, it seems, both in performance and in customer comms.  Also, even good ones have off days.  Don't panic. 

3    The zinc inclusion problem was not uncommon back in the earlier days, and there were two or three others.  Most have now been corrected or, at worst, have proven solutions.  Check on this forum (and on the other one!) and you will find members who are on their second, third or even fourth Yeti.  Your Yeti is one of the last - don't panic. 

4    Do more research on any make/model and you'll probably find equivalent and worrying 'things to watch out for'.  Have a look at the Yeti's status in the AutoExpress Driver Satisfaction surveys over the last five, six years. 

5    Enjoy your Yeti.  

Hi thanks for reply. My dealership is Walthamstow. I am going to check out auto express satisfaction survey now. 

If it's Trans City you won't have any problems, I found them very good  when I bought my Yeti from them.  They also have a very good reputation locally.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:42, kenfowler3966 said:

Reply to earlier post re dsg

But even in manual mode it is still an automatic as far as pulling away. If the traffic speed is between zero and say 10mph, it just seems much happier running with clutch fully engaged in 1st gear at about 5mph and up to 10mph, which is pretty typical these days, rather than changing up to second in drive and then slipping the clutch to go along when slowed again at 5mph. I have been in long jams on motorways and dual c'ways where I have spent some time in first with no need for second gear.

Its a matter of mechanical sympathy which will hopefully prolong the life of my clutch to the next owner of the car in many years time. Yes it does work ok without intervention but having slowed to say 1mph and it still insists on staying in second with lots of clutch slipping to pull away again just grates on me if I can easily avoid it. And no I wouldn't be in second in a manual car slipping the clutch like mad, I would have changed down to first. It will also spread the wear between the two clutches.

Compared to driving a conventional car with large numbers of gear changes during a journey, one or two manual interventions when the car doesn't know what is going to happen is not a big issue. When in a jam, knock the lever sideways, and back, putting it in first gear. when moving along and traffic is speeding up at last, knock it to the right and it is straight back in D mode and will start changing as required.

It is only heavy vehicles, busses, vans etc that have a first gear lower than really needed, and generally set off in second. First is for hill starts fully loaded. I have never owned a car that was happy to set off in second.

My son bought a 3 year old focus with 20k on the clock earlier this year, excellent condition when looked at, ex motability car, and drove ok on a gentle test drive as my son had not driven an auto before. This had Fords version of the dsg with a dry clutch, It rapidly became apparent that 2nd/4th/6th gear clutch was worn out. This seems to have been caused by mainly driving around the busy Leeds area with lots of clutch slipping to speed up from near standstill in 2nd, when the fault was most obvious. Fortunately the warranty covered it and it is like new now with a new clutch pack.

Obviously drivers can chose what they want to do and the car will cope, I just think doing this is not a big deal and makes sense to reduce wear on the clutch, particularly the one for 2nd gear.

I agree with all you say here Ken. That was one of the joys for me of the DSG in my Passat.

Most of the time I'd leave it in drive but when necessary I'd use manual mode. As good as DSG's are they can't see into the distance! Where it got caught out for me is on my commute where leaving an island was uphill and I was usually overtaking slower vehicles - if I got baulked by the vehicle in front and just lifted off the throttle slightly it would change up a gear and I'd loose all acceleration! Answer was of course to knock into manual. I don't like the kick down on any sort of automatic, it's too brutal.

And I only ever pull away in second in my manual Yeti when facing downhill when you can start to roll first or still have a bit of impetus from slowing down, particularly as second is very high.

DSG's are great but to get the best from them you do have to think a little sometimes and drive them accordingly. Unfortunately many folks don't, taking the view that's it's an automatic so why should I have to worry. Alright in theory but that's the difference between someone who is a good driver and gets satisfaction from driving well and someone who just drives.

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:23, FurryFriend said:

As per others advice. 

Not something I'd be doing either! The 1.2 Yeti has more than adequate power for normal driving. Even loaded with luggage and passengers. 

Messing around with remaps is a sure fire way of increasing your insurance, as you will have modified the car. Not to mention probably kissing your engine warranty goodbye, increasing your fuel consumption, and inviting engine problems that aren't there to start with. 

Just get used to driving it for what it is, a very good car. 

Remapping is for boy racers, and completely unnecessary for normal public road use. I can pull away from junctions and overtake without any problem whatsoever, and my last car was a 3.5 litre engined Nissan

Different car, adapt to it. Save your money. 

Sorry, but a lot of what you have said about remapping isn't true. Many owners (not boy racers) have their cars done because as well as giving additional power that makes them nicer to drive at normal speeds they also give better fuel consumption not worse. The factory supplied map is a compromise geared more towards emissions than driving/performing well and the engine is performing below it's best.

Of course a large increase in power could probably lead to problems.

Having said that I've never had a remap because I always buy a car with the performance I want as standard (even if it is strangled somewhat) and as you've said because of the insurance and warranty implications. 

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

As said, and agreed,  if you need a car with more power, then buy one to start with. The implication was that the new owner 'needed' a remap.... He doesn't. 

I think the factory supplied engine is totally adequate. Others may  disagree. 

But doing anything to jeopardise your warranty is plain stupid imho. 

40 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

DSG's are great but to get the best from them you do have to think a little sometimes and drive them accordingly. Unfortunately many folks don't, taking the view that's it's an automatic so why should I have to worry. Alright in theory but that's the difference between someone who is a good driver and gets satisfaction from driving well and someone who just drives.

Oh dear, Oh dear so it's now about driving well and just driving. I guess I must be lucky because I don't remember getting into a traffic situation whereby the DSG was slipping the clutch to maintain progress rather than changing down. It generally starts in 1st from a stop then changes into 2nd at a reasonable speed with the clutch fully engaging. Maybe our driving styles differ so the DSG has "learnt" different ways of coping!! 

• Like 1