New owner here

Mikeyd1

2 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

As said, and agreed,  if you need a car with more power, then buy one to start with. The implication was that the new owner 'needed' a remap.... He doesn't. 

I think the factory supplied engine is totally adequate. Others may  disagree. 

But doing anything to jeopardise your warranty is plain stupid imho. 

I never said he needed a remap I just threw it out there as a “suggestion “ of what could be done with the car.  

Yes im still considering mapping mine as to me it just feels a bit flat when first setting off, granted once your up and away it does go well. Any way Im going to unleash my “boy racer side” and go for a drive in my Abarth :biggrin:

• Like 1

Expatman - I don't have the Passat now, that was a couple of cars ago and my Yeti is a diesel manual. The Passat was a 2.0 diesel and didn't have a problem with pulling away in 2nd in traffic.

If you don't have the same mechanical sympathy concerns or occurrences as Ken with the 1.2 slipping the clutch then fine.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

VAGCF - thanks but the point I was making was that my DSG Yeti pulls away from a stop in first then changes up to 2nd without any clutch slip, if I stop again then it will again pull away in 1st till it decides to change to 2nd without clutch slip. I don't find the clutch slips in traffic at all. Maybe it is down to driving style or development of the DSG control box, certainly the DSG box on my 2017 Yeti feels different to that on my 2012 Yeti. It is smoother in situations like waiting for a gap and entering traffic on roundabouts etc. and also doesn't get caught in the wrong gear when overtaking etc.

It's not a question of mechanical sympathy, I have 50 years experience of that and double declutching down (and up) gearboxes was second nature to me. If I thought the drivetrain was stressing I can assure you I would know and react to de-stress it!!

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 2

My 2017 dsg is as sweet as a nut in all normal driving situations. I would only use tiptronic shifting in unusual circumstances such as crawling on snow or a broken surface. Dsg is the eighth wonder of the world.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Expatman said:

....I have 50 years experience of that and double declutching down (and up) gearboxes was second nature to me.....

Ah, those were the days.  We  probably wouldn't have any real trouble to do it again - a bit like riding a bike, as they say - but the memory of the satisfaction of 'getting it right' has certainly faded under the present lazy luxury of the DSG box.  

Makes you feel old, doesn't it?  Beardy2.jpg.694e1ea87cd424401ad1de0f978d22d3.jpg

• Like 2

Everything said above is true, if my car stops it moves away in first gear then changes to second, all as it should. But 1st gear is about right for trickling along at 5mph in slow moving traffic with the clutch full engaged, 2nd gear is probably about 10 mph to be fully engaged. In a manual car driving along at about 5mph I would be in first gear, not in second and slipping the clutch to stop the engine stalling.

However, when the car is in second and slows to say 5mph it doesn't change down to 1st, it slips the clutch even if you do not notice this. It won't go to first unless the car completely stops. If it didn't slip the clutch the engine would stall.

Brake down to say 1 or 2 mph before traffic accelerates again or creeping along before seeing a gap and pulling out of a junction and it will stay in second, slipping the clutch a lot to pull away again until it reaches the speed where the clutch is fully engaged in second. A quick flick of the lever to left and back selects 1st to deal with this scenario and straight back to auto as car starts to accelerate with no slipping of the second gear clutch at all.

• Like 2

Guest FurryFriend
On 21/11/2017 at 15:55, pee81 said:

I never said he needed a remap I just threw it out there as a “suggestion “ of what could be done with the car.  

Yes im still considering mapping mine as to me it just feels a bit flat when first setting off, granted once your up and away it does go well. Any way Im going to unleash my “boy racer side” and go for a drive in my Abarth :biggrin:

Sorry bud, I wasn't intending anything otherwise. 

I just feel, and still do, that remaps are a waste of money for standard road using cars. 

Just my opinion. After all, none of can do more than 70mph legally anyway, so I don't see the point, when probably well over ¾ of us never take our cars out of the UK. 

It’s not top speed that matters in UK, but how quickly to go from say 40 to 60 mph so as to overtake safely.

My previous Greenline felt very sluggish so although overall it was a good economical car, I very rarely overtook anyone on a single c’way road. That would be similar power to a 1.2 petrol but a lot more torque which is what you need to accelerate quickly.

• Like 1

I can see the point of a remap to improve fuel economy or change the torque characteristics.

Each to their own.

As an aside, i remember one model of car that owners complained of having a flat spot. Several got theirs remapped to take out the flat spot.

Turned out the flat spot was engineered in as it was the speed/gear/revs that the exhaust noise test was measured at on official tests, and cutting the power on the mapping at that point massively reduced the noise figure. Might have been Audi R8

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cootuk said:

As an aside, i remember one model of car that owners complained of having a flat spot. Several got theirs remapped to take out the flat spot.

Turned out the flat spot was engineered in as it was the speed/gear/revs that the exhaust noise test was measured at on official tests, and cutting the power on the mapping at that point massively reduced the noise figure. Might have been Audi R8

This is very common - motorcycle manufacturers have been doing it for years too.

• Like 1

Well picked up the yeti today I'm quite Impressed so far. Couple of things bug me. the smart link needs activating. And the wheels I think have been swapped over because they have budget tyres on half worn and the date of tyres 20/13. And no spare. So I'm after a nice new set of rims. I'll wait to a mint set of the grey ones come up with decent tyres,I have forgot the name of them. I also would like a spare. And is the smart link only activated by dealer. Will up load pics tomorrow. So far so good just getting use to dsg  now. 

Edited by Mikeyd1

There is no spare wheel well, the spare sits on the floor and is surrounded by plastic pieces with cut outs for jack etc. You will also need a replacement reinforced carpet to cover the spare wheel. 

Don't forget you also lose almost 25 percent of boot space. Think hard before going the spare wheel route, how often will you need it and is it worth losing all that boot space and spending £100 plus for something you will probably never use?

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Expatman said:

There is no spare wheel well, the spare sits on the floor and is surrounded by plastic pieces with cut outs for jack etc. You will also need a replacement reinforced carpet to cover the spare wheel. 

Don't forget you also lose almost 25 percent of boot space. Think hard before going the spare wheel route, how often will you need it and is it worth losing all that boot space and spending £100 plus for something you will probably never use?

Yeh will think about I didn't realise u loose so much space

Lots of posts about this. Have a search and see. I thought long and hard about this and finally decided to go without the spare on my new Yeti. Amazed at how much extra space there is without the spare. AA now carry universal spare wheels and you have to ask yourself if you really want to change a wheel by the side of a busy road. Very dangerous!

• Like 1

I picked up my pre-reg Yeti three weeks ago. I was pleased it came with a spare wheel. On reflection, the last puncture I had was about 15 years ago, and for the reported lose of boot  space it is quite a big trade-off. On most of the somewhat narrow roads I drive on I would not consider doing a roadside change myself, I would just call Skoda Assist for safety reasons anyway. My previous twelve cars, stretching back 47 years, all came with a spare wheel, and I suppose I only want to have one because that's what I'm used to. 

• Like 1

I enjoy the best of both worlds.  I carry a spare, and I like the way this raises the boot "floor" to the level of the sill.  This makes it so much easier to load & unload heavy stuff into and out of the boot.

If ever I should need the additional space, then I will leave the spare at home and take with me the inflator and goo can I took out of my Roomster.

4 hours ago, PeterKn said:

I picked up my pre-reg Yeti three weeks ago. I was pleased it came with a spare wheel. On reflection, the last puncture I had was about 15 years ago, and for the reported lose of boot  space it is quite a big trade-off. On most of the somewhat narrow roads I drive on I would not consider doing a roadside change myself, I would just call Skoda Assist for safety reasons anyway. My previous twelve cars, stretching back 47 years, all came with a spare wheel, and I suppose I only want to have one because that's what I'm used to. 

Exactly my predicament when I ordered a new Yeti to replace my 2012 Yeti. For 50 years I had a spare and most of the time it wasn't used from when I got the car till when I sold the car, also statistically one of the most dangerous thing you can do is change the wheel by the side of the road. So this time I changed actions of a lifetime and chose the extra boot space. Makes a huge difference as suitcases can stand vertically so everything goes in the boot whereas before a lot went on the backseat. Easier day to day as well.

4 minutes ago, Robjon said:

I enjoy the best of both worlds.  I carry a spare, and I like the way this raises the boot "floor" to the level of the sill.  This makes it so much easier to load & unload heavy stuff into and out of the boot.

If ever I should need the additional space, then I will leave the spare at home and take with me the inflator and goo can I took out of my Roomster.

Got the variable boot floor, best of all worlds!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Expatman said:

Exactly my predicament when I ordered a new Yeti to replace my 2012 Yeti. For 50 years I had a spare and most of the time it wasn't used from when I got the car till when I sold the car, also statistically one of the most dangerous thing you can do is change the wheel by the side of the road. So this time I changed actions of a lifetime and chose the extra boot space. Makes a huge difference as suitcases can stand vertically so everything goes in the boot whereas before a lot went on the backseat. Easier day to day as well.

Ah well, at least I didn't have to make a decision apart from Take it or Leave it, as this was the last pre-reg going at a great price. I'm glad I took it, it is such a perky thing to drive.

The raised boot floor does not just come in and out as secured to the car at the front. You can't take out the spare and use all the space under as it relies on the wheel to support it and the loads above.

If you want the space back sell the kit on here for £100 or so, and swap for their spray gunk and pump.

I initially ordered my car with a spare, then saw one with it fitted and the impact on the boot, so deleted it as an option and went for my third Yeti without a spare.

120k miles to date, two punctures. One on the side of the A38 and I needed the AA to change it safely, tyre was too badly damaged for gunk. other at home on drive where it went don overnight. Could have used the gunk but it would write the tyre off. AA used a drill and plug to seal and reinflate. That got me to a tyre depot for a permanent repair.

So impressed with the drill and plug system, I bought my own kit on ebay for £10 and hopefully can repair any nail or screw hole at the side of the road as the car comes with a pump anyway.