Rollback done by Shark....

Skoda superb 2.0tdi cr bought last week, seemed to drive ok but had the emissions fix.
Booked in with shark today the guys are really nice to deal with, installed the latest pre fix map for the Vag rollback.
It was 100 mikes there 100 miles back.

53mpg there 20 minutes with Shark and then drive home again.... 65mpg back home!!

(This is from the trip computer mpg)

Will do a tank to tank refill next time but thats a huge jump in economy.

Mostly doing 60-70mph and taking it steady.

Same roads same traffic same conditions.

Car was running fine no noises before they rolled it back, just didn't want the issues most seem to suffer.

No noticeable difference in power or drive but in all fairness I was driving for mpg difference there and back. 

Very glad I went.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kwmax said:

Hi steviejay  what was the cost of this and do they give warranty ? regards

Hi there, the cost is about 100 quid plus vat I believe, but i got it cheaper because i have beautiful eyes and floss.

Not sure if there is a warranty of any kind but I'm sure if something happened they are a stand up company but I dare say it would not be related to anything they have done.

The VW soft wear update is known to cause more damage than anything Shark would do from what I have read, all they do is use the latest pre fix map and pop it on the car.

Literally takes like 10 mins, and it's done.

If and when my EGR ever goes I'll simply get them to blank it off and map that out too.

Sod paying 1000 for a new one, its a pain in the arse anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m tempted to have the roll back done on mine , but the dilemma I’m facing is losing the additional two years warranty issued after the emissions update . Sod’s law dictates that as soon as I’ve had the roll back the egr or injectors will fail and I will be unable to claim 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Same with me Ihad it done 10 months ago then got Skoda saying giving warranty so by having it done early they say it's covered from date dealer did it so got about 13monthscover not pleased with that but thats vw for you

3 hours ago, Skodavid said:

I’m tempted to have the roll back done on mine , but the dilemma I’m facing is losing the additional two years warranty issued after the emissions update . Sod’s law dictates that as soon as I’ve had the roll back the egr or injectors will fail and I will be unable to claim 

Seriously Dave do it.

Look..........the way I came to the conclusion was pretty simple, VW are dodgy c**ts not only were are they "fixing" cars that have no problem and saying it was not a must have update, but they left a lot of people with cars they couldn't drive, and it cost them big money, thousands of pounds in come cases, they then addressed this to save face a second time by saying they will over all the parts relating to the EGR, DPF and Injectors, basically all the expensive parts, but it seems in the case of my car, it will still suffer from bad MPG, frequent DPF regeneration's shortening the life of the CAT......and a more active EGR, not to mention injector problems, what happens if 24 months pass then all of a sudden they all go, I'm saddled with the bill then.

Also who is to say they will even honor it!! they will wriggle out of as many as they can.

Just because my car sounds ok after the fix, doesn't mean its not sowing the seeds for damage later on.

These engines were very very solid pre "fix" and lets face it, 100 quid for a roll back, and another 100 for an egr blanking plate and map it out is pretty much going to pay for itself in a 6 months for me, specially now I am getting 12mpg more per gallon that's nearly 150 miles more per tank.

That's 13.6 liters of diesel saving per tank of fuel.

16 quid a tank saving...... x 2 per month as I use 2 tanks of fuel per month it takes 3 month to pay for itself for the roll back, then saves me 36 quid and wear and tear on the engine from them on........if the EGR goes its will only take 3 months of fuel saving to sort that too.

They have proven themselves to be unreliable and deceiving thieving bas***rds and I don't trust them one bit.

It's been shown to rob bhp, wear and tear on parts god knows what the knock on effects are on the other parts!

I just need my car running as VW intended in the first place, a warranty is all well and good but think of the inconvenience the arguments, the side stepping about it being another part of the engine and worrying if it was relating to the update.........., want the engine to run as it was intended to not to an EU paper slip that says make this engine run like this now, and don't worry about the life span of it, just get these boxes ticked.

Keep the 2yr warranty ............it's worth nothing to me.

I used Millers Injector cleaner on every fill up anyway which seems to make my other cars run beautifully and a good quality DPF cleaner  every few months.

Its each to their own I guess but I feel satisfied now that my car will not cause me any aggro, and if it does and I keep it more than 6 months, then the savings in the mpg increase alone will pay for the work to keep it a reliable family work horse.

It's an absolute no brainer for me, but each to their own of course!

Job done, happy car.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kwmax said:

Same with me Ihad it done 10 months ago then got Skoda saying giving warranty so by having it done early they say it's covered from date dealer did it so got about 13monthscover not pleased with that but thats vw for you

And there you have it.......absolute snakes........back dating it.

Sod that.

26 minutes ago, kwmax said:

20 minutes ago, jafo said:

@Steviejay there is a timeout - 5 or 10 minutes, not sure exactly. 

Yea saw that when i posted the question.

Thanks buddy.

Should have proof read it lol was banging it out on the mobile then shot home read it again and saw all the grammar and mistakes lol

Hopefully get the Jist ;)

9 hours ago, Gazdok said:

Is this 'rollback' an engine chip tuning and do you tell / have to tell your insurance or does it not gain any more power?

No it's nothing like that.

The update was voluntary from VW but in some cases they just performed it on cars as a matter of routine.

All shark did for me was to simply put all the settings of the ecu back to the way they were before VW GROUP did their emissions fix.

It's like saying did I contact my insurance when vw did the fix, and robbed me of reliability mpg and possibly a few ponies? No I didn't.

I just put it back to bog standard buddy.

Still annoyed Skoda wouldn't roll it back seeing as it wasn't asked for, I even said keep the 2yr warranty just want it removed.

They said it can't be done now.

Another lie.....

15 minutes parked up at shark and it's a done deal.

5 clicks of a laptop.

It's a shame really that they won't just be straight after all they have done to customers cars.

Thanks again to tuners like shark.

Some places round near me are scare mongering and quoting £200+ for the same work.

• Like 2

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago at Shark. Fuel consumption reduced by about 5% and the rate of soot accumulation decreased by about 50%. The only issue I can see is that it now regenerates at just over 15g of soot instead of 23g. Last time it returned soot to about 3g instead of 5g after the active regen . I am constantly monitoring on the VAG DPF app. The software code definitely changed after the rollback so you can tell from that if you make a note from info on the DPF app screen

31 minutes ago, matnrach said:

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago at Shark. Fuel consumption reduced by about 5% and the rate of soot accumulation decreased by about 50%. The only issue I can see is that it now regenerates at just over 15g of soot instead of 23g. Last time it returned soot to about 3g instead of 5g after the active regen . I am constantly monitoring on the VAG DPF app. The software code definitely changed after the rollback so you can tell from that if you make a note from info on the DPF app screen

Hey buddy so your saying your economy reduced?

That's odd !? 

You will have better readings than me as I don't have a clue about regens and not following that part buddy

No I mean the consumption is better by 5% i.e reduced amount of fuel used. I also think the engine is slightly smoother especially from cold. Not a big difference though but it is the long term damage on the DPF, EGR cooler I wanted to stop

Edited by matnrach
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2017 at 21:21, matnrach said:

Update just done a tank to tank fill up and can now confirm i averaged 44mpg which seems to be bang on for a combined mpg on my car being manual 4x4 2.0 cr estate so that's good but not the 51mpg the computer was showing me over the 470 miles.

Doing another to confirm.

• Like 1