Double Din head unit to replace Bolero?

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a 2010 Octavia VRS. It's head unit is the basic touch screen bolero. I am looking to upgrade this and am looking at something aftermarket. 

Requirements - 

• Double Din
  • Bluetooth phone enabled
  • Steering wheel controls
  • DAB radio
  • SD Card or USB for music usage
  • Song name and artist currently playing 
  • Android connectivity
  • Able to connect to Waze navigation on my phone

I looked at the android stuff on ebay and they look great but I have heard they can have faults and are difficult as one thing on it tends to be inferior in usage or reliability. I don't mind an alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer etc and my budget is around £300 but I get 25% off Halfords so something in the £400 mark if from there.

Cheers :)

When you say "Android connectivity" and "Able to connect to Waze navigation on my phone", do you mean you want a headunit that supports Android Auto?

Might be worth adding what year your car is to your profile. A 2006 MK2 is very different to a 2013 MK2 :)

In which case, Android Auto (AA) is going to restrict your choices. Mostly as I'm not aware of any Chinese Android headunit that supports AA.

At a guess, you have a maxidot instrument cluster, this should show the outline of the car with any doors that are open on it, I assume you also want track info to display on this?

The most obvious choice would be a double din unit and a facia adaptor, although these are already at the top end of your budget. You'll probably also need an adaptor to get the MFSW to work and I don't think they'll integrate with maxidot. You might also lose the reversing sensor and climate display on the headunit. Just as an example:

- Kenwood DMX7017DABS supports AA and MFSW

- CAW-CCANVW1 <-- possible wiring loom?

- CAW-CANUN2 <-- possible MFSW adaptor?

Assuming those parts are correct, it should do most of what you want for about £500.

There is an 'official' upgrade to give AA support with BT and integration with MFSW. I think it also supports maxidot - it's the Kenwood DNX516DABS but it's really not cheap: http://kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/skoda/DNX516DABS/

There are also now RCD330 based headunits that appear to support AA, cheaper than everything else mentioned and might be just what you want: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Crngiar-RCD510-RCD330-RCD330g-Plus-Radio-Green-Button-light-Carplay-Android-Auto-For-Skoda-Octavia/32833020711.html

That should give you some ideas, I haven't actually used any of them so I can't give in depth reviews.

Have a look at www.erisin.com they have some units that run on Android. I have had 3 units from them in the past (win CE) and all have been very good but did need an antenna amp for good radio reception.

With this you can run Waze on the unit without the phone.

John

Thank you for the replies!

Yes I have the maxidot instrument cluster. Really the maxidot only gets used for range left in petrol/ KMH per hour (which i want changing to MPH) and average fuel consumption. Nothing from the head unit currently carries over and I can live without that.

I did look at that Kenwood, I would get if for about £317 with Halfords discount so don't mind that price. With the Kenwood what additional bits would I need? I am going to pay for fitting at a local fitting business but which fascia and additional wired/leads would I need please?

I will look at those models and @jjc I will also take a look at that site, although the Kenwood has caught my eye a great deal!

I've guessed at which adaptor and loom I think is needed but you need to check it.

I'd probably let the local fitting place advise you one facia/leads, that way if it doesn't work it's down to them to fix it...

OK I appreciate that, 

other head units would be fine. Some look even better on the displays than the kenwood but the other ones (chinese made) I have heard about potential issues like everything being great except one feature. Everything could work great but the DAB could be poor, or all is good but the bluetooth is poor etc so that's why I was really asking about these ones too. I am not ruling them out but the last thing I want is to have it fitted and then have to return it etc!

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 00:13, HarleQuinn said:

OK I appreciate that, 

other head units would be fine. Some look even better on the displays than the kenwood but the other ones (chinese made) I have heard about potential issues like everything being great except one feature. Everything could work great but the DAB could be poor, or all is good but the bluetooth is poor etc so that's why I was really asking about these ones too. I am not ruling them out but the last thing I want is to have it fitted and then have to return it etc!

have you ended up changing headunit?  interested to hear which way you went.  cheers

9 hours ago, drew-8888 said:

have you ended up changing headunit?  interested to hear which way you went.  cheers

No I've not done it yet. I was looking at the Kenwood DMX-7017DABS or the Pioneer SPH-DA120 but I would also need about £80-£100 for the fascia and leads needed. Then the addition to the insurance, I am holding off for the time being!