mystery switch in drivers door

mrcrow

it goes off as the interior lights go off...with the door closed

it goes off if you put the key in the ignition switch...with the interior lights

the push feature doesnt seem to do anything

i thought it might have put the interior lights on when driving just momentary...?

with the engine running and doors shut it wont put the interior lights on....the push button operation doesnt have a switch feel to it in any evern...almost like an over ride if you hold it..but no change in status

see the previous thread re: any connection with boot light

cheers

geofrs2.thumb.jpg.4e27d8d3514980a0c4c7f4568bbb7791.jpg

rs1.thumb.jpg.26fed788b284fdeadbe50f24c5318095.jpg

"""If it was to disable the interior monitoring when the car is left with a dog in it, it would work like this, on leaving the car, after the key is out of the ignition, open the driver's door, press that button which should light up or change colour (never checked it or used it), then close the driver's door and lock up. When you unlock the car on your return, the interior monitoring is enabled again so you would only need to press it again if again leaving the car with for  instance a dog in it or a window slightly open.

I suppose one way to check for an alarm would be to open the drivers window, lock the car then stick your arms in and move them around a lot, if that car has an alarm with interior monitoring, doing that will set the alarm off.

I know that my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza does not have an alarm, our last two cars and our current cars both have but I've never ever checked that they work!  Something to consider doing maybe, if or when summer returns?""""

thanks to rum4mo

Just now, xman said:

Its in the manual

To disable internal alarm sensor, press the button and lock the car within 30 seconds. Useful if you leave a dog in the car.

dohhhh

will search the manual for that...i thought i had looked well enough but must have missed it...

thanks

ps...any thoughts on my boot light problem?

cheers

geof

I have just checked that switch on my wife's 2015 Polo which has an alarm, first time that I've pressed it, that switch should not have a latching on/off function as you are only requesting that the interior monitoring is disabled "this time" prior to locking that car. So, yes it is red as shown above before you do anything, which means that when the car is locked up interior monitoring is active, when you press it it turns yellow which means that after you lock the car "this time only" the interior monitoring is disabled.

Edit:- you can toggle it off and on, but that switch should not be latching on or off, it is just that you are sending a pulse to the controller, first pulse ON, second pulse OFF -  etc.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, xman said:

Afaik its sole purpose is the disable the internal alarm sensor (which I think is ultrasonic)

My button has a normal click action

thanks...i found the page with the instructions...

turn of ignition, press the button, lock the door within 30 seconds...

the suggestion is that turning this off is when towing or moving by ship etc

and if children or animals would cause movement

animals ok....but what situation would children be locked in with the childproof locks on..??

i struggle with the instructions on that page i guess i glossed over them

will check out the operation tomorrow...

thanks again

geof

Edited by mrcrow

34 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I have just checked that switch on my wife's 2015 Polo which has an alarm, first time that I've pressed it, that switch should not have a latching on/off function as you are only requesting that the interior monitoring is disabled "this time" prior to locking that car. So, yes it is red as shown above before you do anything, which means that when the car is locked up interior monitoring is active, when you press it it turns yellow which means that after you lock the car "this time only" the interior monitoring is disabled.

Edit:- you can toggle it off and on, but that switch should not be latching on or off, it is just that you are sending a pulse to the controller, first pulse ON, second pulse OFF -  etc.

tomorrow i guess all will be solved...i am keen to see if the light does turn from red to yellow...i was pressing it several times but it stayed red

the arm in the window will solve all...;)

ps i saw in the manual after i found the right page the suggestion for using the cancelling function was apart from transporting by towing etc was to stop the alarm going off if children or pets are in the car

the car will be locked, so if childproof locks are on...does that seem safe

am i missing something.

going to search out that missing boot light cable as well...

cheers

geof

4 hours ago, xman said:

Its in the manual

To disable internal alarm sensor, press the button and lock the car within 30 seconds. Useful if you leave a dog in the car.

Never leave a Dog in your Car, always give her the Bus Fare Home.  

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2017 at 17:57, mrcrow said:

yes and the kids can walk...

:D

cheers

geof

:D:crying:

guess what...i locked myself in the car so i could observe the interior lights dimming...it was hailstones outside

and then

THE MOTION SENSOR WENT OFF...!!!!

so i have one...i will try the push button idea from the inside then lock myself in again...to test the effectiveness of the over-ride technique is working

cheers

geof

I have got out a car, walked away clicking the fob to lock the car with a double click automatically, not thinking someone was in it.

Even been in the hotel  and someone said there is an alarm going off but being a bit Mutt & Jeff did not know or think the first time until i walked out that it was my passenger trapped in the car with the alarm going. 2nd time i knew though who's alarm it was.

Only done it twice.  Same person in the car...   

Must remember and do it next time they are in a car with me.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

I have got out a car, walked away clicking the fob to lock the car with a double click automatically, not thinking someone was in it.

Even been in the hotel  and someone said there is an alarm going off but being a bit Mutt & Jeff did not know or think the first time until i walked out that it was my passenger trapped in the car with the alarm going. 2nd time i knew though who's alarm it was.

Only done it twice.  Same person in the car...   

Must remember and do it next time they are in a car with me.

now i will have to check the little button in the door sequence ...whilst sitting in the car...

about 1am in the morning would be a good time...my neighbours dog has sensitive ears and a loud bark..

:o :D

oops...said that before...:blush

Edited by mrcrow