Bi-xenons

R1100

Call me a numpty..... I am confused reading all the bumph and searching on here and Google.  I cannot find out whether both the dip and beam on our Yeti is xenon or xenon dip and halogen beam.

I would appreciate clarification.

It's a 2016 Monte Carlo 150 4x4

Thanks

Bi-xenon means that both dipped & main beam are the same xenon “bulb” with a movable shutter in front of the beam.

The shutter creates the dipped beam pattern. When main beam is switched on, the shutter moves away for a full beam pattern.

No shutter fitted.
You have just the HID on at dipped beam, then the unaltered HID plus a H7 bulb for main beam,

HID gives the close light and H7 the distance.

(And I keep meaning to buy some better H7's!!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R1100 said:

Call me a numpty..... I am confused reading all the bumph and searching on here and Google.  I cannot find out whether both the dip and beam on our Yeti is xenon or xenon dip and halogen beam.

I would appreciate clarification.

It's a 2016 Monte Carlo 150 4x4

Thanks

I think you will find that your car has Xenon headlights - not Bi-Xenon, and work as Llanigraham has explained. Bi-Xenon have a shutter and are both dipped and high beam in one bulb. Xenon are one light pattern only and in this case its the dipped beam. High beam is from the other bulb in the headlamp glass and is in addition to the Xenon when on full beam. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

I replaced my H7 bulbs with NightBreakers, big improvement for a relatively low cost, good white beams.

Hi Ernie,

Looking to replace my H7s with nightbreakers and see there a couple (or more?) types listed.

Did you go for the 'unlimited' or the eye wateringly priced 'laser' ?

Thanks

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

@andyspan, just the unlimited version, they are more than adequate for my needs and significantly better then the OEM supplied version.

Thanks Ernie, I'll give them a go!

The Yeti is the first car I have owned where I can see well enough at night, and tyhe main reason I have now had 3 of them. Previous superb wasn't bad, but not a patch on the yeti.

Did consider downsizing to a top spec fabia estate, but that just had conventional lights making it a dealbreaker for me

On 17/11/2017 at 22:31, Llanigraham said:

No shutter fitted.
You have just the HID on at dipped beam, then the unaltered HID plus a H7 bulb for main beam,

HID gives the close light and H7 the distance.

Sorry, they are Bi-Xenons.
The Bi-Xenons do high and low beam with the H7 halogens giving "flash" and assist the high beam.
Reason for that is the Bi-Xenons take a while to get the ark steady so the halogen do that job.
This is from the Skoda website.
Facelift SE L / Elegance and up have the Bi-Xenons and are an option on the others.

Bi-Xenons.jpg

All advice above is correct but in pieces so I'll try to lay it out for you. If they are Bi-Xenon then they do dipped and main beam, main beam xenon is achieved when lights are on and you push the stalk away from you. This changes the xenons to main beam and brings on the other H7s as well.

When you don't have lights on and pull the stalk to flash this will only operate the H7s not the xenons. The reason for this is two-fold; xenons take massive amounts of current to fire up and continually flashing them would put overdue strain on the bulbs and more importantly the seperate ballast units which are also expensive.

Your bi-xenons will also bend round corners and change modes automatically depending on what type of driving you are currently doing. It's all explained in the manual.

PS. I still smile when my lights come on and they do the bi-xenon two step before settling in to the right beam pattern.

1 hour ago, WFM said:

All advice above is correct but in pieces so I'll try to lay it out for you. If they are Bi-Xenon then they do dipped and main beam, main beam xenon is achieved when lights are on and you push the stalk away from you. This changes the xenons to main beam and brings on the other H7s as well.

When you don't have lights on and pull the stalk to flash this will only operate the H7s not the xenons. The reason for this is two-fold; xenons take massive amounts of current to fire up and continually flashing them would put overdue strain on the bulbs and more importantly the seperate ballast units which are also expensive.

Your bi-xenons will also bend round corners and change modes automatically depending on what type of driving you are currently doing. It's all explained in the manual.

PS. I still smile when my lights come on and they do the bi-xenon two step before settling in to the right beam pattern.

Does this being the case mean Graham's Yeti is unique? :wondering:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought about getting a top of range Fabia estate with most extras instead of Yeti. Lack of option to fit Bi-xenon lights was the one thing I could not accept.

The Scout is not a car it is a trim level  on several different ones? Not a Yeti option as they are all effectively Scout spec when compared to Fabias and others