Maintainance schedule

number57

hi 

when i took my 2015 2.0ltr DSG 4x4 in for its last service the receptionist confronted me with the question, did i want the the air con unit serviced?  Recommended by Skoda to be done every second year, as my service was being done under a maintainance plan i was taken somewhat aback as this was £80 i had to pay there and then. When i got home i decided to look through the maintainance schedule to find out what other surprises awaited me down the road. Alas i cannot find the Information anywhere. i had expected it to be at the back of the drivers handbook but it was not.

I intend to dump the main dealer after the warranty period so would like to be able to tell the chosen garage what work i expect them to do.

information i'm trying to find is

Engine Oil      life expectancy

gearbox oil             ditto

Haldex Oil              ditto

Brake Fluid             ditto

Timing Belt             ditto

thanks

DSG Oil change and Haldex Oil change is at 40,000 miles, that might not be done under a 'Service Plan'.

Brake Fluid Change at 3 years then every 2 years probably not done under a Service or Maintenance plan.

Read the Maintenance Plan T&C's.

If you do not have that then Seller should provide it.  You have bought a financial product as well as a maintenance plan, 

& it might not follow Manufacturers Service Schedule / Guidelines.

The AC Service might be recommended and is, but then a bit of a con going on with that, 

same with DSG / Haldex if the vehicle has that and not done as per Manufacturers Service Schedule.

I had a service and maintenance plan on my 2014 Yeti from new. It included 1 x air-con service and 1 x brake fluid change, first MOT.

I also got them to change key remote control battery and a set of wiper blades without cost.

These were all listed  in my plan. You need to read the plan T&C's as it sounds you have "been done".

Colin

• Like 1

I thought the Haldex was at 30k, it all seems a bit woolly. Indeed there seems to be an issue that vw/Skoda don't seem to know the haldex has a filter which should be changed, and refuse to do it as according to them it doesn't exist. Hence units are failing despite oil changes as the filters are blocked?

I have never had an aircon service in any of my company cars, typically kept 4 years and 60-70k miles.

My wifes last car, a fabia we bought at 3 years old and kept for 8 years did not have an aircon service.

No problems, no smells, and all worked correctly.

My sons last car, a focus, just worked for a short period after a regas then stopped again, presumably due to a leaking seal. He gave up and lived without it for most of the 8 years he had the car. A service would not have helped here either.

To me it is a way to make a lot of money quickly. Check it works and spray a bit of disinfectant into the intake!

The air-con should be re-gased every two years. The system looses about 10% of gas per year. The gas also includes a lubricant that feeds the seals in the system. Without a re-gas the seals dry out and you loose even more gas. You do not realise the lack of performance in the system until you have a re-gas.

The best way to keep the system running efficiently and keep the loss to a minimum is to use it regularly, throughout the year, summer and winter. Ideally that means leave it on. I have done this with the three cars I have owned with air-con and experienced no issues, in particular I have never experienced the stale odours that some owners have and as such not required the disinfectant spray/de-odourisation treatment.

Colin

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why 

See A/C Servicing and models they exclude from the 2 year servicing.

Here Haldex every 3 years it says.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

VW's servicing information and see what they tell you on Haldex. 

But then that is not gospel as some are now 30,000 miles.

Vorsprung Durch Technik, Usually Service Schedules get extended when no failures / warranty claims, cam belts etc, haldex schedules reducing for some..

Edited by Headinawayoffski