WPA2 VULNERABILITY ?

VWD

I connect to my router using a dongle ( TP LINK, TL-WN725N). I ALSO USE Avast FREE, which is prone to telling me about problems, only to tell me that I need the paid for version to cure these.  Most of the time, another free program sorts out the problem.

However, today, I got a warning that I need an update on my dongle to sort out a KRACK problem. Surprise, surprise, to allow Avast to get me the update, I'd need to get a paid version. Looking at TP LINK, site I found this --http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-1970.html

which leaves me to wonder if a software update would cure the problem ,or is it time to look at another solution. Or if there is another solution .

Just about every wireless device is vulnerable to the KRACK vulnerability. 

Even newly released devices are. 

It's unclear at the moment whether it can be cured by a patch, or the issue is a hardware problem which won't be solved without replacing the hardware for something not vulnerable - which is quite a task.  

Thanks -Gman- TP-LINK did give the link you quoted as a source. I'm tempted now to ask TP LINKtech support for advice on the software update that Avast decided I'd need. 

Yes it's a vulnerability but no you're not really at much risk.

If you regularly transfer millions, are a prominent Executive of a Blue Chip or FTSE 500 company, defence contractor , a UK MP or Minister then yes someone might well expend the time and resources to attack your home wifi.

If you're just pretty average, have a few pennies in the bank and you're not known internationally then no. The criminals don;t really give a **** about your wifi. You're at risk form ransomware, drive by downloads, banking Trojans and many other things but not KRACK.

the newspapers like these dramatic titles but really most people's main risk is clicking on a dodgy link. Not much has changed there in 10yr.

• Like 3

Thanks, ASPMAN- as I thought- yet another attempt by Avast to get me to upgrade ( = pay them for a software that fails to deliver the promise on the tin).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VWD said:

yet another attempt by Avast to get me to upgrade ( = pay them for a software that fails to deliver the promise on the tin).

It annoys me that the only way to stop Avast showing popups telling me to "enable feature XYZ" is to pay for an upgrade - IMHO if I can't enable the feature with the software I have then the popup shouldn't be shown :wall:

• Like 1

Plenty of other freebies out there.

Comodo

Sophos

But really if you don't want pop-ups from your AV you probably need to pay for it or take one supplied by your bank/ISP.

56 minutes ago, Aspman said:

But really if you don't want pop-ups from your AV you probably need to pay for it or take one supplied by your bank/ISP.

That would be McAfee - no thank you!!! I'd rather live with the once a week pointless popup from Avast.

I had MacAfee from my ISP, BUT once I'd upgraded to FTTC, then I'd only get  FREE trial of two months and after that it was chargeable. Additionally, another deciding factor was the bloat of MacAfee., especially at startup ( possibly due to my only running W7/64 on 4 GB RAM). I DID ASK TL-link about a

software update and how to determine which version of the dongle I had, but script reading monkey couldn't find the answer on screen. 

23 hours ago, SWBoy said:

That would be McAfee - no thank you!!! I'd rather live with the once a week pointless popup from Avast.

Well, I did just say you'd get rid of popups. Didn't say it would be any good :biggrin:

Which reminds me I really should ditch it myself, I'm just too lazy to get round to it.

I run Avast and Malwarebytes together (yes I know some people say you should only run one AV program but this setup works on all 5 of our PCs from W10 tablet to i7 and on all 3 of my brothers PCs), as belt and braces I also occasionally run the Sophos Virus Removal Tool.

Not had any infections yet - he says looking for a big plank of wood :cool:

SWBoy- I run similar, with RogueKiller as an addition. But ( if you don't know), there are two versions of Malware Bytes.  One is "MBAR", with the other being "MBAM", and compliment each other.

GMan- another reason WHY I ditched the so-called"free"  MacAfee from my ISP. On my XP  partition, I'm running a free trial of Norton and it's bloat free. Hence my decision to try Avast free.