VRS vs RS3

The octy diesel is never going to be a fast car unless you start changing turbos, fuel pumps etc. Then you'll need to fix the rest of the drive train. The box is fine for me, gives a modest boost that makes overtaking a bit less stressful without making too many compromises. Fuel economy has gone down the toilet though, first full to full tank was 45mpg on 2+1, on 1+1 last three tanks have been 41-42 and that includes a fair bit of motorway. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OliR said:

as the saying goes.....

fast.jpg

Didn't Schumacher also once say any fool can drive fast in a straight line? I've discovered with the box that the octy isn't quite as composed as I thought at first. I bet the stock 230 petrol isn't much fun, it really needs the e diff that the 245 has. Would be interesting to try a decent map on the 245, must give 300 without too much trouble. What we need is the engine from the cupra / R in a 4x4 wagon. That would be funny. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

They all get round bends at 60 or even 70 and motorway bends at 120 + or so unless there is a really bad driver or bad tyres.

Motorway driving isn't fun,  it's wet roundabouts at 50,  you know that :)

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

You are serious arn't you, you think you have some fast diesel.  A Tuning Box added Octavia vRS TDI.  

Have fun with it.

Who are you? the Fun Police?

ive had a few diesel 3L v6's, a 335 bimmer too so i can put it into perspective. ive also had a clio V6 stage 3 so i know what seriously fast is too. 

your trying to tell me a @236 vRS isnt fun? and frugal. go fetch me your pipe and slippers pal. btw you got personal first. 

• Like 1

Have all the fun you like, find a wall and see who can pee the highest.

What was personal at being honest about an Octavia diesel, it is a car?

As to BMW's 335d X-drive or what ever, 70 mph is still 70mph in them, and all you do if you want one is buy them, 

its not big or smart just a car.

Wana buy a mota?

DSCN2792.JPG

Edited by Headinawayoffski

9 hours ago, stever750 said:

Didn't Schumacher also once say any fool can drive fast in a straight line? I've discovered with the box that the octy isn't quite as composed as I thought at first. I bet the stock 230 petrol isn't much fun, it really needs the e diff that the 245 has. Would be interesting to try a decent map on the 245, must give 300 without too much trouble. What we need is the engine from the cupra / R in a 4x4 wagon. That would be funny. 

Agree. Even when they do a 4x4 (i.e. my TDi 4x4 vRS) they then hobble it with DSG...which is fine most of the time, but detracts from the overall driving experience IMHO. (Not that an Octy is the ultimate 'driver's car' :D)

DSG 4x4 petrol would at least be better, but please please can we have a manual 4x4 with some poke? A relative has a 17 plate Golf R manual - it can be done!!

@BossFox's Yeti RS is an example to follow - someone needs to drop the RS3 engine into a 4x4 vRS...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Agree. Even when they do a 4x4 (i.e. my TDi 4x4 vRS) they then hobble it with DSG...which is fine most of the time, but detracts from the overall driving experience IMHO. (Not that an Octy is the ultimate 'driver's car' :D)

DSG 4x4 petrol would at least be better, but please please can we have a manual 4x4 with some poke? A relative has a 17 plate Golf R manual - it can be done!!

@BossFox's Yeti RS is an example to follow - someone needs to drop the RS3 engine into a 4x4 vRS...

Yep, that's more like it. I'm not a fan of an auto box on a modified diesel, Google runaway diesel and you'll understand why! If skoda can put the 280ps engine into a 4x4 superb, then put that plus manual box into an octavia. There would be a queue of what, all of twenty of us?! 

59 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Have all the fun you like, find a wall and see who can pee the highest.

As to BMW's 335d X-drive or what ever, 70 mph is still 70mph in them, and all you do if you want one is buy them, 

its not big or smart just a car.

Wana buy a mota?

DSCN2792.JPG

Geoff, it's never about Vmax, just how quickly you can get to the NSL without pushing it into the hedge. Or as us my preference, how many slow moving vehicles can I punch past in those tantalisingly short overtaking opportunities across rural Wales. Std vrs is hopeless, no better than the superb, with box it's a bit better, but it's nowhere near the petrol vrs with shark let alone the cupra. I'm still very sceptical of any dyno result that puts the boxed octy over 220 bhp and 430Nm torque. Maybe one or two have somehow got "lucky" cars that respond massively better without throwing up warning lights, but mine sure isn't one if them. I can't keep pace with a 3.0D BMW powered machine, at least one that's trying of course. No chance. 

Sadly i can only keep pace with modern traffic by keeping my driving licence, so it is not the fun police that slow me down or wearing elasticated waist trousers and velcro fasten shoes and string back driving gloves, the real police have stopped me though.

Not driven any cars in the past years that were not fun if you just floor the accelerator and enter bends, even ones with 68bhp.

Fun police where i drive are the Road Safety Partners Mobile vans at the straights where there are passing opportunities and Average & Variable Speed Cameras, the Fixed Cameras are going now.

0-62 in 5 seconds just has you braking sooner or lifting off as you are up someones arse just getting on with driving like many are doing.

30-70 or even 100 mph very quick like 0-100 mph in under 14 seconds is loads and loads of fun and then you get used to it and its nice to know you have it for overtaking, 

and getting tailgaters in some supposedly quick car with no traction off your jacksy.

george

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

30-70 or even 100 mph very quick like 0-100 mph in under 14 seconds is loads and loads of fun and then you get used to it

So true! Ability to accelerate is addictive, you soon get used to how fast you can accelerate ... and then want more.

The other end of the spectrum is a small low powered car, where you learn how to conserve momentum round corners so the lack of acceleration isn't an issue as it's now cornering that's the enjoyment - I have a 68bhp Citroen C1 that fits into that category. This will sound strange but I could (almost) smile as much when driving that as when I was driving my (now gone) RS4.

• Like 2

^^^ That will be new ones, they are available on the drip. (monthly payments.)

Last model, and model before that available used, traders / dealers / auctions. 'Never raced or rallied or backwards into a hedge, one lady owners'.

Crail Willie Robertson Memorial 2016 073.JPG

Crail Willie Robertson Memorial 2016 103.JPG

Crail Willie Robertson Memorial 2016 049.JPG

£15,000 standard 177hp Skoda can even be fun. (190 ish hp actual maybe)

Briskoda members estate. vs the full proof lunch control having a hic-up

3 hours ago, SWBoy said:

So true! Ability to accelerate is addictive, you soon get used to how fast you can accelerate ... and then want more.

The other end of the spectrum is a small low powered car, where you learn how to conserve momentum round corners so the lack of acceleration isn't an issue as it's now cornering that's the enjoyment - I have a 68bhp Citroen C1 that fits into that category. This will sound strange but I could (almost) smile as much when driving that as when I was driving my (now gone) RS4.

I agree totally in principle, until you get stuck behind a slow moving bus for 30 miles! 

• Like 1

Never see those slow moving busses up here they seem to drive to different rules.

Even Speed Safety Partnership Commercial vehicles seem to have some sort of need for speed between setting up positions and no tracker or tacho tracking their speeding....

6 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

You are serious arn't you, you think you have some fast diesel. 

i think we can all read and ill leave it at that. If a car is a 'just a car' why are we arguing on the internet about it? :tongueout:

ok lets shake and be friends. :handshake:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ant-Vrs said:

I played with a m4 at a set of lights and was only a car lengths behind him in my stage 2 vrs wagon... Don't think he was happy 

Doubt he was trying very hard, an M4 will pull away from my M140i with 340bhp/500NM

The Bagged Octavia Estate looks quite nippy off the line. By the Santa Pod timing.

I have driven a M4 and could not get the faster car off the line as well as a 335d x-drive,

but then they are just cars and its about the tyres and the surface of the road.

http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m4 

http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-335d-f30 

20171022_181237.jpg.7087ed87226b80e7c7bdd0998483dd39.jpg