Satnav - absolutely useless...

Just been out for my first run in my new-to-me 2015 Scout. 

The Satnav seems to be completely useless, becoming completely lost on two occasions in the Coventry/Leamington area, quoting road numbers which sometimes appear completely unrelated to the numbers on the signs, and updating so slowly that it was entirely useless in urban conditions. 

Is this usual? I’ve still got my old Tomtom as a backup but it’s very disappointing

You could try updating the maps if it hasn't been done before - Google 'Skoda update portal'. You will need your VIN, then follow instructions. 

There are lots of threads on here to help with the process if necessary, even direct download links.

Having said that, I tend to use Waze when necessary.

I also find the SatNav lacking even though I have the latest updates. I find it's OK except in towns. Tom Tom comes out of glove box if I want accuracy in towns and cities. The Skoda system always about 20 metres slow i.e. It tells you to turn when you're 20 past the turning.  

I can only presume that you are all referring to the Amundsen system as I have none of those problems with the Columbus. I run it in split screen mode where the next 4 or 5 instructions are shown in a list, the announcements are well ahead of the junctions and if they are close together on the road it will say something like "take the next left into so-and-so street and then take the 1st exit at the roundabout onto the A6". If I deviate from the route, or go wrong, it re-routes pretty quickly. My only complaint with it is that the traffic updates have suddenly stopped. I hope this is temporary as it makes a difference to be able to use Dynamic Routing. Searching through the forums, it appears that several people have have problems with the TMC in the past.

Amundsen and Columbus, eh? Tres drole.... Amundsen actually “navigated” his way to the South Pole by a system which amounted to distance-cross-course, distance-over-ground and dead reckoning. On arrival in the vicinity, he then spent quite a long time criss-crossing the area, concluded that the geographical point lay somewhere within the defined area and set off North again. He never actually claimed to have “stood at the South Pole” at all. 

Whether thats better, or worse than to go down in history as having “discovered” a land mass that you never even saw, let alone set foot on or correctly identified, is a matter of opinion...

The directions, so far, from the Amundsen system appear to be quite useless. I’d be better off with my old Tomtom, which I’ve never really taken to, much preferring its predecessor. 

Few issues with mine; find it by and large a fine system but it does get confused from time to time.

One of the most frequent for me is driving north up the M5 at junction 18A wanting to come back to South Wales; it really does not like that junction wanting to send me further up the M5 instead of up the M49.  I usually balance out this momentary satnav lapse by saying something along the lines of "F**k you Skoda" (I do sometimes swear at the car :blush:), ignore the satnav and follow the signs, I'm sure the satnav does it every once in awhile just to keep you awake.

Complex junctions and where there is a dense amount of roads in a small area does confuse the car in my experience, keep on top of the updates and its generally fine

Edited by BNT1985

As mentioned, probably worth updating maps in case roads have changed slightly since the version of the maps.

I have the Columbus and in over a year of ownership, the navigation has never once let me down, nor have I felt the need to use my smartphones mapping instead.

The only area where it is lacking slightly is the traffic updates (or lack of). Quite often by the time it's notified you, you're already stuck in it.

I thought the Amundsen system in my Octavia (same year) was appalling quite frankly. I just used Waze whilst connected to BT audio so you still got alerts and route guidance through the speakers. 

Wouldn’t bother wasting your time updating the maps.

... the M6/M5/M42 intersections, both directions, are a particular bogey of mine, quite awful places, very badly laid out and usually cursed with heavy, fast traffic making rapid lane changes because THEY are also in the wrong lane. The M6/M6 toll (M6 J3a) is another place where you need your wits about you.

tried it again today, it tried to send me on a detour which made no sense at M6 J2 N bound, along the A46. That might have been a response to an out-of-date traffic report. I think I’ll turn that function off. 

The split-screen looks useful, shows you the next two or three moves (although there are too many manoeuvres at roundabouts in   Particular)

Amundsen tried in both my 2014 and previous 2013 Octavia 3. It generally works, gets you where you need to but is let down by the same repeat issues, 1) It doesn't avoid traffic - partly due to the awful traffic system used with the car, so then when you try and go around traffic you find it keeps trying to take you back into traffic, and 2) It is too slow, you are already at end of sliproads onto multi lane roundabouts before it mention that you need to be 4 lanes across the road, 3) the zooming is terrible, 4) It shows the name of lots of random roads all around the route, except the one you are actually on, and that is blotted out by the driving mode selection whenever the ignition is on.

Edited by HotVRs

What sat-nav? Since first initial few tries, I've never used the built-in sat-nav. It is completely hopeless in directions and really slow to use. (up-to-date map on Amundsen 2014)

Waze is my go-to sat-nav. Get a Qi wireless charger and Qi compatible phone, then it'd be 1 smooth movement to mount the phone and start charging. Phone apps have much faster reaction time and you have the option to set the route before heading into the cold waiting for the built-in sat-nav to initialise itself.

I kept my old Tomtom. I mostly use it to give me a “quick check” at complex junctions, town addresses or minor roads off major ones, so it sounds as though the Tomtom will stay in the car for use “as needed” and keep the Amundsen for monitoring traffic. 

Ive usually found that diverting around traffic alerts is of very little value in UK, there aren’t usually any useful alternative routes and anyway the information just isn’t good enough to make a decision

19 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Lemington/Coventry? isn't that a massive Black Hole in the 'a.hole of nowhere'? cant blame the sat nav :D

That's a very big hole because Lemington is Tyne & Wear. :blink:

TBQH I seldom use it, because I have a Garmin which I use for Speed Camera alerts and that's far better than the car one, also I tend to use Mk1 brain and local knowledge and only use it when things get tricky/sticky (steady!).

Edited by TheWanderer

On my 2nd Octy 3 with Amundsen sat nav fitted - apart from showing the speed limit I have found it useless in both cars and always use my Tom Tom device. The Amundsen was included as part of the Elegance/ SE L trim - I would never have bought it separately, Tom Tom is not only cheaper but far easier to use IMO.

JKW

Well I have to say I have no problem whatsoever with the Amundsen in my 2015 Yeti and am looking forward to the latest version of the same in my inbound Octavia SE L.  Works absolutely fine - how anyone finds something suckered on the windscreen or hanging on a random bracket with dangling wires is beyond me.

• Like 1

Tried it again on a run from Peterborough to Wolverton, then on to the Southampton area. 

Now running on split screen. The “next manoeuvres” thing was accurate but too many moves on roundabouts meant I needed to look before approaching, because it would be scratching its head on the actual junction. Listing “next move” from the bottom up was counter-intuitive. Traffic updates ON, dynamic route finding OFF

Amundsen became confused when I might have needed it most, at the A508/A45/M1 J15 roundabout, so score 1 for local knowledge. It failed to correctly identify the first destination, so 0 from 2.

on to Southampton, where it became confused at the M40 J10 approach. This simply isn’t good enough for an 2 year old car. Now 0 from 3 against local knowledge, up to 0 from 4 when it once again failed to identify the destination. How DO you enter postcodes into this thing?

It’s probably quite sufficient for navigating a dog sled but quite useless in a car...

Edited by 45Brit

2 hours ago, 45Brit said:

Tried it again on a run from Peterborough to Wolverton, then on to the Southampton area. 

Now running on split screen. The “next manoeuvres” thing was accurate but too many moves on roundabouts meant I needed to look before approaching, because it would be scratching its head on the actual junction. Listing “next move” from the bottom up was counter-intuitive. Traffic updates ON, dynamic route finding OFF

Amundsen became confused when I might have needed it most, at the A508/A45/M1 J15 roundabout, so score 1 for local knowledge. It failed to correctly identify the first destination, so 0 from 2.

on to Southampton, where it became confused at the M40 J10 approach. This simply isn’t good enough for an 2 year old car. Now 0 from 3 against local knowledge, up to 0 from 4 when it once again failed to identify the destination. How DO you enter postcodes into this thing?

It’s probably quite sufficient for navigating a dog sled but quite useless in a car...

I do it by pressing the Pscd (or similar) button. 

Ive used an Amundsen since early 2014, I Drive 25k each year, and although it’s not perfect it does it’s job.   

I used to use TomTom, then hated Garmin when I switched, but it’s just they are different to what I was used to. 

• Like 1

I find my Columbus (2014) perfectly fine. Not perfect, but definitely good enough. 

Can’t be faffed with sticking stuff on the windscreen or having wires from my phone or nav draped all over the cabin. 

In-built is the way forward for me. 

• Like 1

I always use android auto on my phone and then connect to the cars screen, you then have the option to use google maps or Waze. Personally I always use Waze as it has better features than google maps and has never let me down, best of all both the android auto and Waze apps are completely free ;);)

I have a 66 plate vrs with the amundsen system and find it easy to use, quick enough and every now and then beats Google maps hands down. Google had me a mile out using the same postcode but skoda system took me to the door in an industrial estate just last week.

Also recently took a trip up and around the highlands.....try using Waze or Google maps without a signal to the phone.

It's not a bad system in my opinion (even if it's not the best) and even better when you actually bother learning a bit about it, like how to enter postcodes etc. 

• Like 1