Hesitation

Hi Folks. I'm new to this forum as I'm looking at an issue on my father's Rapid. Its a 13 plate 1.2 Tsi manual.

He's complaining of a hesitation from the engine on harder acceleration, usually away from junctions.

He describes it as if the engine is being starved of fuel for a moment. He doesn't get it with gentle acceleration. 

Is it a known issue on the engine or does it need investigating? 

Any help would be most welcome

Dave.

Is it poor traction tyres and surface and TC functioning and cutting power to stop wheel spin maybe? (Also brakes can get nipped to do the same, stop wheel spin.)

Maybe try Traction Control off and see if it is the same.

Am I correct in thinking that there's also no turbo in 1st? Something to do with emissions or something like that so it's as slow as a week in the jail in 1st.

I used to try to get mine into 2nd as soon as possible but even then there is a distinct delay between pressing the throttle and the turbo kicking in which could be potentially dangerous for anyone who is not familiar with these engines exiting a busy junction.

• Like 1

There is turbo under 'hard acceleration', maybe just not good traction. Maybe not lots of power with the engine in this thread, 

but drivers usually know what 'hesitation is'.

Our 1.2 105 has a hesitation like this.  Always has.  Just put it down to a characteristic of the engine / map.

Coming up to a round-about in say 2nd gear, if you suddenly need to dart out into a gap there's a pause before the power comes.

It's definitely not traction related in my case - I know what loss of front-end grip feels like / TC cutting in.

It could be turbo related, although other similar turbo petrols I've driven didn't do it.

• Like 2

Would it benefit from a sympathetic remap or is it just a characteristic with the 1.2Tsi?  I've driven it and found it quite a good drive and can't say I noticed the hesitation my father is referring to. Maybe slightly different driving styles? I got better MPG than he's seen on a run.

ive noticed a flat on our new 1.0. where if you don't give enough beens when changing the revs dive, then the turbo finally catches up and away you go. it almost feels like I'm gonna stall it at times.

I'm just too used to the low down torque I had from the diesels.

I don't get It on the 850 petrol but then again the engine has 5 cylinders to keep things going and the NA version is 170bhp. mines the 240bhp turbo, which is actually more like 280bhp with the map it runs. torque is north of 420nm.

Edited by cypher007

Certainly a characteristic of the engine / map. My first 1.2 TSi engined car was a 2013 105 BHP Rapid hatchback and this seemed very flat when pulling away (almost to the point of it being difficult to break traction / make the wheels spin).

As mentioned above - once into second gear the engine seemed much keener to rev and more sprightly. At the time I put it down to the engine map limiting torque in first gear, so as to main traction.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Bump for a new member.

cheers for the heads up -I was experiencing it in 4th gear  DURING A TEST DRIVE on 17 plate rapid on a slightly inclined dual carriageway, its as though it would not rev any further , but I was nowhere near red lining it, bit of a mystery, really but put me off the car as the earier rapid I tested in the week -same car exactly 17 plate again pulled away all through the gears , and I was amazed by its sprightly charecteristics for a 1.2 engine.