Rear mounted cycle carrier

Can anyone recommend a rear mounted cycle carrier for the Rapid Spaceback? Preferably a high mount model to avoid obscuring rear lights and number plate. I have one that was used on a Nissan Micra which had the right geometry but the side strap hooks were too thick to fit around the edges of the hatch without risking damage to the rear light lenses.

I had this rear mounted bike carrier - did the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005Q5VC92/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I subsequently upgraded to genuine Skoda (Thule) roof bars and a Thule roof-mounted bike carrier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2017 at 22:51, RickTT said:

If it was me... i would stump up the cash and get a towbar.. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-skoda/skoda-rapid-towbars/skoda-rapid-spaceback-towbars.html

Then get a towbar mounted rack, so much better and puts no strain on the boot..

A damned expensive option on the Rapid - towbar with electrics can set you back a very hefty sum. Electrics up to £400 would explain why the OP is looking for a high-level option.

On 03/12/2017 at 13:35, RMurphy195 said:

I can vouch for these, use one on the MX5, not tried on the Rapid yet. How do you get on with the spoiler on the tailgate - Hatch Huggers? And around the sides (avoiding the glass edges)

Hatch huggers - yep, adds a few minutes poking them through but otherwise it's great... I have the saloon looking rapid so it's sits on the bumper top (I have a plastic protector) The arms miss the spoiler and it's proper sturdy. I then put the two bikes on and lock them to bones through the middle of the rack.

• 2 months later...

I cheated by buying 2nd hand with tow bar. Have too many bikes to list, latest a Scott Ebike to let me pretend that I’m 50 not 70+. Have had several Pendle bike racks so have just ordered their heavy duty wheel support rack.