SmartLink not connecting with Android Oreo

Hosepipe99

In another thread I was investigating SmartLink suddenly not connecting to my phone, which I thought might be the wiring to the USB connector, but it wasn't.

I have now "solved" the problem which is due to a bug introduced by the November security update to Android 8.0 Oreo. My phone is a Nexus 5X but it may apply to others that have had this update.

The solution is as follows:

settings->system->about->phone   tap "build number" 7 times   that will enable developer options

settings->system->developer options.  Enable "USB debugging".   Verify USB status under "connected devices".  Then disable USB debugging.

Incidentally the bug prevents connecting from a phone to a PC via USB, the solution is the same.
No doubt Google will fix the bug when they have had enough complaints.
Edited by Hosepipe99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have a superb Sportline on order and have a Sony ZX Premium phone! 

Just thought this would "work" but appears it doesn't! 

Anyone know a way to get a Sony ZX Premium to use the smartlink. It's on Android 8.0 but has some update pending which i'm currently hovering over the update now button wondering whether it's **** or Bust! 

Any help appreciated i guess i have a month or two until the car arrives but really want this to work.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this since i now have the car. Even though Skoda said it won't work as did the "supported phones" section of Smartlink  did : 

IT WORKS fine and spotify in the car is a life changer!!! :-)