Lift off oversteer - tyres or suspension

JWvrs25

2 hours ago, vindaloo said:

It'll be the tyres. I'm actually impressed you managed to get it to arse-slide on standard suspention. Don't have a RARB do you?

Yes completely standard suspension, slid out quite a way as well although did grip again quite quickly once I put the power on again.

I think Ill be best to get some new tyres then. Goodyear have an offer on buying 2 tyres at the moment I think so should be able to get them at a reasonable price to match the fronts. Regarding the tyre age, They are 2013 and do look slightly perished so wouldn't surprise me if they have gone a bit hard.

18 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

After a little nose around, I'm not bothering with the Rovelo tyres - turns out they're made by Sailun! Four Avon ZV7 on their way for fitting tomorrow (Still wishing I was upgrading to 16 inch wheels, though)   

Wise choice. I had Rovelo tyres once. Used to wheel spin in the wet at 70/80mph. made for some hairy journeys

11 hours ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Well, after picking up the car with Avons fitted, it does feel a little bit better. The car still feels like it's shaking its bottom going down the road, though. I've got no confidence in it anymore sadly....... 

The tyres will take 100-200 miles to fully wear in and loose that slippery stuff they come out the factory with. I remember when i had my new tyres from halfords, took the bend in the car park on my way out from having them fitted and the car just went straight on at 10mph :D

Edited by clarendon462

IMO Fabia needs a RARB to tame wobbly and lurchy handling. The VRS also needed Eibachs to remove the tendency to rotate/dive under heavy braking.

I think the Whiteline is ideal for anyone running standard suspension. Anything stiffer or not adjustable risks embarrassment, though until you crash it will feel great.

In short, the Fabia mk1 suspension is not suited to sporty or fast driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to swap my front and rear tyres to try out the ditchfinders on the front. Instantly the back end was so much nicer and planted. Downside was the front end just didn't go where you pointed the steering. Last straw was driving along a slippery A road, (must have been a chemical spill on it or something) and I was able to spin the front wheels in 6th gear at 50mph, scary.

Just had some Falken ecorun tyres fitted to the front at a very reasonable price with some discounts, and wow they already seem loads better, car doesn't understeer anymore and seems to be able to put the power down properly.

Also Im now in a position where the rear tyres are 'better' than the fronts so hopefully no more back end action .

3 hours ago, clarendon462 said:

...hopefully no more back end action.

...so you're a stone, not a sponge? :D

Sorry, obscure Uncle Monty reference form Withnail & I, I was laughing at your unintentional innuendo.

Edited by sepulchrave
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

...so you're a stone, not a sponge? :D

Sorry, obscure Uncle Monty reference form Withnail & I, I was laughing at your unintentional innuendo.

I did wonder whilst I was typing if it was the correct way of phrasing it, thought most would be mature enough on here to not pick up on it ;)

45 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

All good now then, just waiting to hear what happens when the snow arrives

Use of the FWD Scandinavian flick technique i expect.

Don't get snow where I am very often, if it does I doubt I'll be driving anyway

• Like 1

hi everyone, I have a question, what tyres offer good ride quality?

Just to add some context I currently own a skoda fabia mk2 with 195/50/R15 Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres, they offer great grip (so much I think I may end up rolling my fabia at some point) but they make the ride quite harsh and crashy, A thump passes through the cabin as I go through potholes.

12 minutes ago, fabia88 said:

hi everyone, I have a question, what tyres offer good ride quality?

Just to add some context I currently own a skoda fabia mk2 with 195/50/R15 Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres, they offer great grip (so much I think I may end up rolling my fabia at some point) but they make the ride quite harsh and crashy, A thump passes through the cabin as I go through potholes.

Don't drive over potholes, if your ride is crashy on 15's I suspect your suspension is knackered.

2 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Don't drive over potholes, if your ride is crashy on 15's I suspect your suspension is knackered.

definately not your tyres. Got to be knackered shocks 

mine on 17s rides very nicely