Mods and insurance?

HarleQuinn

Hi everyone,

I am looking at making a few small cosmetic changes to the car.

- Alloys sprayed from factory silver to black

- Spoiler vinyl wrapped to black

- Wing mirrors vinyl wrapped to black 

- Change the bolero unit to a Kenwood (approx £300 value)

I spoke to the insurers and they have said this would add £103 to the insurance annually. Does this seem fair? They couldn't say what mod would cost individually as it was a quote based on them all.

Regards.

I was hoping the first 3 wouldn't do much and expected an aftermarket head unit to add a little. It is possible the first 3 have done nothing and the £103 is all head unit based. I have asked them via email to break it down.

What is "self insure"? I mean if it's not via my insurers is it that I take the financial hit on the car being broken into and cover the costs myself? I just don't tell them it has been added and if ever stolen I don't make a claim for example?

Best name which insurers.

So the Broker or Underwriter must consider adding sticky back plastic is increasing the chance of theft, and also the 'hi fi'. 

Some might say otherwise.

Their rules so if you want valid insurance you comply and bend over and let them abuse your wallet.

Or you change insurer.

As to wheel colour change, they are taking the pith if that needs declared.

Hi, it's with Esure. They said the changes could make the car more desirable so chances of theft could be higher. I think it's mostly the stereo unit myself to be honest. The guy I spoke to wasn't too sure , hence I have sent an email. He couldn't see anything for the alloy colour change specifically so it went down as "aftermarket alloys" as they are no longer factory spec.

I only took the policy out 12 days ago, I have checked some new quotes and it would work out roughly a similar price with these mods declared. As long as it isn't a £26 admin fee with each mod added I don't mind too much. If it's £103 on the premium and then £26 fee each for each change I would be miffed!

I insured a family member, young with modified car and got an OK deal, until renewal and it was a rip off and the call handler was a cheeky sod.

So that made me look and then i found out Esure owned Go Compare.

Do you really need that wrapped parts or that wheels painted now,  (none declared can invalidate insurance, but....)

why not just get a quote on the 'sounds' and see what the story is.

You have 14 days to cancel with them.   

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I actually quite like esure up to now.

I am just doing some photoshopping to see if I will even like these mods. The alloys I 100% want spraying but the rest, maybe not!

I appreciate the replies :)

I looked at exactly the same alloys that Skoda sell but in black. They were about £600-£700 a set if I remember, I can get these ones refurbed and sprayed to black for £180 locally. 

So how should I approach the insurers on this when I add the alloy colour change?

Are you kidding. 

Leave them uncleaned and they will go black with brake dust and no charge.

Since when did wheel colour become a declarable mod on cars?

• Like 1

Haha that is true :D

Well it's only the fact that if the worst happened and they tried to get out of any payout based on me not declaring an alloy spray/recolour I thought it would be best to let them know?

Think I have changed my mind on a couple of things regarding the cosmetic items now.

Thinking of having the wing mirrors resprayed to gloss black, also the chrome grill surround. Seems to be cheaper than vinyl wrap.  Then just the alloys sprayed to black too. Not gonna bother with the spoiler, it doesn't look right changed to black!

Edited by HarleQuinn

I have recently insured my cars, one has modifications. I was asked if they were power mods, I said no just cosmetic and lowered suspension (MeisterR's fitted) They noted all of them and they came up with a very good price.

It was only when I asked later it came to light that if I had to make a claim, let's say a write off, they will only pay out as if the car was in standard form ie as from the factory.

So when you declare mods check if they will actually pay out on them. Let's just say if that happens to me I'm £800 down or whatever they are worth new/SH on the suspension alone.

So just to recap, do they charge you extra to insure you for the added extras to the car for the value, or the fact it seems you are or the car is an higher risk?

Edited by MickA

You mod your car, you pay the price. If you don't like it, don't mod it or find another insurer.

Doesn't matter if it's fair or not, it's what the insurer wants and if you don't declare any mods, no matter how petty in your eyes, you will effectively be driving uninsured.

Standard insurers are never competitive on modded cars so you need to contact Adrian Flux and the like.

Hi everyone, these slight mods make the car more desirable apparently. Even though they are found on many cars now (black alloys, black wing mirrors etc)

so here is what I have done. As I had 2 days left of my cooling off period I cancelled. Requoted via Gocompare and declared the modifications and the quote came back roughly the same as the original quote without the modifications and admin charges!

Still with Esure but a new policy :D

• Like 1

I was checking my car insurance policy, & cosmetic changes have to be declared. Even if they don't affect the performance or handling, the reason is because it makes the car more desirable according to them. Always declare changes because if something happens, one item not declared could mean no payout. 

On 11/21/2017 at 10:06, HarleQuinn said:

What is "self insure"? I mean if it's not via my insurers is it that I take the financial hit on the car being broken into and cover the costs myself? I just don't tell them it has been added and if ever stolen I don't make a claim for example?

Correct.

I did something similar to a Subaru I had.  Changed the HU and added different wheels (and other things).  Spoke to the insurer and they gave me the option of insuring the extra bits for a higher premium or leaving the premium and sum insured as it was.

The interesting bit was that the HU would still be insured at the old HUs value if somebody broke into the car.  So if somebody smashed a window & took the HU, the window would be repaired & they'd fit an OEM HU.  Slightly ironic as the Factory HU was worth more than the aftermarket one.

I believe that the UK insurance market might be a bit harsher than down here, so YMMV.  I know they wouldn't care about painted wheels or vinyl wrap and they certainly wouldn't know if they were there when you bought the car or if they were added later.