1.9TDI Turbo Issue? (Oil in inter-cooler pipe)

martinch

Hi all,

I've got a 2004 1.9TDI (PD100) Fabia, which has around 80,000 miles on it, which went off to have the cam belt changed today.

When the mechanic unplugged the pipe running between the turbo and inter-cooler to get access to the cam belt, what looked like around 250ml of oil ran out of the pipe, leaving an A3-sized oil splat on the workshop floor, with more oil running out (at what you would describe as a quick trickle) if you uncoupled the pipe again.  They're of the opinion that the volume of oil indicates that the seals on the turbo are becoming iffy, and that it should be replaced. 

Does this sound reasonable?  From looking around online, it seems that turbo failure is statistically rare, but that more than a light coating of oil in the inter-cooler pipes can indicate failing seals, which tends not to display symptoms until it goes "runaway" (unlike issues on the exhaust side, which tend to lead to smoke).

Thanks! (Sorry, just a bit mistrustful of garages, having heard some horror stories)

P.S. If it helps ... I've had the car for the last 8 years, and have had the oil changed every year (VW's Quantum Platinum 5w40).  I don't do many miles, so it's been run on V-Power (or equivalent).  I have always allowed it to warm up and cool down, with it rarely going over 2,500rpm under normal driving (excepting the annual pre-MOT run) - it spends most of it's time running at a constant ~1,700rpm.  It doesn't use a detectable amount of oil between services, nor does it smoke (MOT smoke test in September was 0.3).

Edited by martinch

1 hour ago, martinch said:

Hi all,

I've got a 2004 1.9TDI (PD100) Fabia, which has around 80,000 miles on it, which went off to have the cam belt changed today.

When the mechanic unplugged the pipe running between the turbo and inter-cooler to get access to the cam belt, what looked like around 250ml of oil ran out of the pipe, leaving an A3-sized oil splat on the workshop floor, with more oil running out (at what you would describe as a quick trickle) if you uncoupled the pipe again.  They're of the opinion that the volume of oil indicates that the seals on the turbo are becoming iffy, and that it should be replaced. 

Does this sound reasonable?  From looking around online, it seems that turbo failure is statistically rare, but that more than a light coating of oil in the inter-cooler pipes can indicate failing seals, which tends not to display symptoms until it goes "runaway" (unlike issues on the exhaust side, which tend to lead to smoke).

Thanks! (Sorry, just a bit mistrustful of garages, having heard some horror stories)

P.S. If it helps ... I've had the car for the last 8 years, and have had the oil changed every year (VW's Quantum Platinum 5w40).  I don't do many miles, so it's been run on V-Power (or equivalent).  I have always allowed it to warm up and cool down, with it rarely going over 2,500rpm under normal driving (excepting the annual pre-MOT run) - it spends most of it's time running at a constant ~1,700rpm.  It doesn't use a detectable amount of oil between services, nor does it smoke (MOT smoke test in September was 0.3).

I wouldn't worry about it, it's a PD100, no turbo seals are completely oil tight, if you'd looked at 40k you'd have seen about 125ml of oil come out of the intercooler. The garage is telling the truth that it's from the turbo but they're trying to scare you into spending money you don't need to because Christmas.

8 hours ago, jars said:

A good place to start your search ;) (not necessarily the answer, but one of several causes. 

Seach function in here works well :)

I'd actually seen that thread (spent about 4 hours yesterday going through Google before posting).  The consensus seemed to be that a little oil was normal, but "lots" wasn't (with little qualification of "lots").  Thanks, though!

7 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's a PD100, no turbo seals are completely oil tight, 

My recollection of the PD100's were that you'd have to be fairly unlucky for it to break, and that turbos generally don't break (although the turbo in my parent's PD140 Octavia did misbehave about 3 months after they bought it, and the dealers replaced it under the Approved Used Warranty ... think the actuator was stuck).  Mine had a cam belt change at 60,000 miles (based on time - probably not needed, but hey), so I'd assume the 1/4l of oil had built up from at most then? (I'm assuming all mechanics approach it in the same manner, so it'd have been drained then).  From reading around, I found an Audi tech saying that there's up to a litre of oil in the exhaust re-circulation system, but that a pooled accumulation of 1/4l or more should be checked out..?

if you'd looked at 40k you'd have seen about 125ml of oil come out of the intercooler. 

Just to be clear, this was sitting in the pipe running between the turbo and inter-cooler, rather than having been drained out of the inter-cooler itself (I know they're linked, etc).

The garage is telling the truth that it's from the turbo but they're trying to scare you into spending money you don't need to because Christmas.

So, I assume, drain it out of the pipe (and inter-cooler, as I'm assuming there's some in there), and monitor it.  If not much builds up, look for another garage. :(

Edited by martinch

29 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Fishing for work is normal at every garage at this time of year ... If you're worried whip off the TIP and check the impeller yourself.

Cheers!

29 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

your folks had a PD140 which is every bit as unreliable as the VRS; i.e. the turbos go pop. 

Yeah, they have a bit of a rep for that..!