hair dryer the new simply clever thing.

So in to the second winter with this car i get problems with frozen door (driver side)

since the first day this fall with under 0 degrees celsius i had problems with the door wont close after opening it. have to warm up the car for 15-20 minutes before it shut.

talked to the dealer for advise and removing the door trim and warm up the lock mechanism with a hair dryer shoud fix the problem... well it did not fix it, next morning it was just the same.

now after a month of this crap i am going in to the dealer to get the lock mechanism replaced.

the hair dryer is a nice thing to get frozen doors open then and there but it did not fix the problem, skoda shoud put a hair dryer under the fueltank lid next to the ice scraper.

Never had a problem closing the door, sometimes it would freeze shut and I thought I'd pull the handle off opening it on the Mk2. 

Have you tried cleaning out the latch with WD40 or something similar then using a light oil to lubricate it rather than grease?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Never had a problem closing the door, sometimes it would freeze shut and I thought I'd pull the handle off opening it on the Mk2. 

Have you tried cleaning out the latch with WD40 or something similar then using a light oil to lubricate it rather than grease?

yeah sprayed wd40 and put some thin grease with lithium but still no fix. 

the dealer said that taking the lock mechanism apart for cleaning and lubricating was not something they would do, in my case where it is a warranty issue they just put a new lock mechanism in. interesting to see if they have an explanation on how it gets frozen, the moist/water must come from somewhere .

i have read that this is a known issue to vag cars  

Edited by bytterga
bad spelling

It is, my old Seat needs warming up during the winter.
Not for the engine but because of the doors.

Once at -28°C I warmed the car for 2 hours before starting it up.
Doors opened ok but when I got to my customer 55km away, I couldn't get out.
I had to call the customer to come outside and bring a hairdryer... :D

• Haha 4

its the plastic "cave" (inside door) for the retaining strap that collects water as no drain hole...you have to remove the door trim & remove the item & drill hole or fit new one.

Basically the flappy rubber seal on the strap gets deformed & can't do its job...

• Thanks 2