Sat Nav update file size

Just downloaded latest Sat Nav update for my MIB2 Amundsen(STD2_915_EU1_2018). Installed and working.

Can anybody explain to me why the file has to be so large (12 GB). It takes 12 hrs to download - I do it overnight - and and hour or so to unzip to the SD card.

If you watch the unzipping you will notice files for VW & Seat - surely these files are unnecessary and only add to the file size and, in my experience over years of trying to implement software updates for multi product firmware, can lead to unexpected crashes if the software strays into these files. Can't the software developers be **sed to edit the files specifically for the brand.

The current version still tries to direct you up a number of farm tracks, which i have tried to edit out on the map site "Here" but are still selected. 

On one route in Norfolk it takes you right off a main road at a traffic island, takes you 200 yards on a minor road before turning you left down a small narrow lane with grass in the middle before you rejoin the main road!

I keep my TomTom in reserve under my seat

That sounds like you have got the SatNav set to the shortest route. I normally use economical or quickest and never follow it if I don't like where it is trying to send me.

I generally only use the SatNav when I am on top of my destination - the sort of last mile approach

Always set to fastest route.

I have spent nearly 50 yrs finding my way around the UK so also really only rely on it for the last stretch - except in some rural locations like the Broadlands in Norfolk where my daughter now resides.

If I plot a route to my local golf club - not that I need it but purely as a test - all 3 options send me down a farm track - true it cuts the corner off but as it is not surfaced and has encroaching hedges, I can't think it would a wise route. Same applies to another farm track near my daughters in Norfolk.

I also cannot believe that leaving a main road and then travelling on 2 sides of a triangle before rejoining the main road again can be construed as quickest, shortest or greenest ( apart from the grass in the middle of the road).

The file size is still extreme as the TomTom equverlent (UK & Europe) is far smaller.

Does anybody know how to plan a route using a "via" command?

The same thing is quite common here in Switzerland with the "official" but not really usable roads between the vinyards and farmers fields.

In the summer its annoying but in the winter it can be more serious when making your way up the mountain roads.

If you dont stay to the main roads which are treated & monitored you can easily end of on a narrow snow filled road, stuck and unable to turn round.

To be fair, Google maps is exactly the same, it doesnt concider the condition of the roads during winter time.

I guess the mapping companies just see a road, legally you can drive 80kph so thats what the map data shows.

12GB isn't bad at all, I'm sure the Columbus one is about twice the size! As above I think the assumption on the mapping is that an NSL road can be covered at 60mph rather than the much lower speed in reality due to blind corners, rough road surface etc.