Octavia vrs 2013

Morning All,

Just a quick hello and to see if anyone has a wisdom they would like to pass on regarding a 2013 Octavia Mk3 vRS estate diesel DSG.

I am looking to part ex my 2016 Fabia for a 2013 vRS, the one I have found has 26k miles and seems in good condition. Is there anything I should be aware of or check?

I'm assuming as it's a very early vRS it doesn't have Cruise control nor Apple Car play - I could do without both (more so the Apple Car Play than the Cruise control) although I have seen that this might be able to be fitted?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!?

Also I have full Carista, so I assume there will be various things I will or should be able to enable as extras :)

thanks,

Dave

you can still play via bluetooth or USB to the MIB1 balero or columbus unit. Are you sure there is no CC, i have CC on mine 13/14. Mechanically I believe there is a common fault with water pump so check the car is not or has not overheated, and if it has? whether the pump and belt etc had been changed by the dealer. You should see this in the service notes.

there are plenty of non skoda android options that will fit and keep the canbus and steering controls functionality for around £300. 

• Thanks 1

Cruise was an option on early MK3 VRS but later became standard. Doesn't mean it won't have it. Should be easy to identify - there will be a rocker switch on top of the left side stalk.

Water pumps are a common failure on early MK3s so check coolant level and for excess white smoke from the rear.

The smartphone linking via Car Play was only available on MIB 2 units - an early MK3 will have MIB1 so it won't have it and it can't be retrofitted.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your comments, I will ensure I check the history for these faults / failures. I'm almost certain the one I am looking at doesn't have CC  but I have now seen another that does so at least I should have some choice now. - I say seen, I mean I have seen online and enquired. I'm currently in Barcelona with work but I am planning on checking them both out this weekend when I'm home.

I wonder if the dealers would care if I plugged Carista in and checked for faults :D ?!

3 minutes ago, daveface said:

Thank you both for your comments, I will ensure I check the history for these faults / failures. I'm almost certain the one I am looking at doesn't have CC  but I have now seen another that does so at least I should have some choice now. - I say seen, I mean I have seen online and enquired. I'm currently in Barcelona with work but I am planning on checking them both out this weekend when I'm home.

I wonder if the dealers would care if I plugged Carista in and checked for faults :D ?!

They definitely would, they don't like you plugging anything in. Even on a car you own.

My VRS went into the dealer's with some misfiring issues. They told me they couldn't find any issue or any fault codes. Told them it was strange as I'd checked for fault codes myself and it had some. They jumped down my throat and BS'ed me saying it wipes the faults, can invalidate warranty etc. 

• Like 1

I had a 63 plate MKIII Tdi Vrs, No Cruise, silver wheels ( paid option I think ) standard wheels are 18" anthracite coloured. Bolero Radio, no sat nav. Never had a water pump problem in the 2 years I had it, never drank oil. Red stiching on the seats and steering wheel, silver stiching was a no cost alternative. Round steering wheel ( not Flat bottomed )

Mine had the Black pack ( black mirrors and grill only )

Hope that helps a bit Dave 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

As per the comments above, the water pump is becoming a common fault on early 2L TDi engines. There are lot of users on here whose pump has failed just outside of warrenty.

I would insist that this is already changed (or the garage will change for free if it goes within a certain mileage).

The next is the "BOOMING" issue from the rear of the car... Theres a big long thread about it but I'm sure you'd notice immediately if there was a problem when you drive.

Apart from these the O3 is a pretty awesome car (i much prefer driving it than many other more expensive cars my wife has had through the company).

For VCDS tweaks theres a pinned thread in the O3 forum with all the tried-and-tested improvements for you to choose from.

2 hours ago, Gabbo said:

As per the comments above, the water pump is becoming a common fault on early 2L TDi engines. There are lot of users on here whose pump has failed just outside of warrenty.

I would insist that this is already changed (or the garage will change for free if it goes within a certain mileage).

The next is the "BOOMING" issue from the rear of the car... Theres a big long thread about it but I'm sure you'd notice immediately if there was a problem when you drive.

Apart from these the O3 is a pretty awesome car (i much prefer driving it than many other more expensive cars my wife has had through the company).

For VCDS tweaks theres a pinned thread in the O3 forum with all the tried-and-tested improvements for you to choose from.

Thank you - I will keep these in mind and make sure I get something agreed with the dealers!

I used to have a MK2 FL Octavia 1.4tsi and loved that! So i'm hoping I will love this one too! That being said I have loved all my 4 previous Skodas :)

Some people have managed to get some kind of "goodwill" gesture from Skoda contributing half or more towards the repair costs out of warrenty.

as you say, its obviously better to agree something before hand.

Just a bit of a pain in a car I can't really find another real complaint with.

• Like 1

As with other comments, water pump can be faulty; however, unlikely to see white smoke unless head or cylinder liner is cracked or head gasket has blown ie. coolant getting into the exhaust side of the engine.

Typically it is the water pump gasket or impeller that fails, resulting in high temp/loss of coolant.

Only other thing you might notice is water gathering in the doors then when you open the door is rushes out. There is a service bulleting about it, and replacement door seals available.

Had mine done under warranty on my 14 plate,  and the water pump went around the same time.

• Like 1

Useful to hear about the door seals and water pump as I have 64 plate 2.0tdi not the best though. Go for test drive, then poke around the car lots, the dealer will probably leave you to it so you can quietly do your diagnostic check! Low miles may indicate just used once a week rather than short trips so not necessarily a dpf worry.

9 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

Only other thing you might notice is water gathering in the doors then when you open the door is rushes out. There is a service bulleting about it, and replacement door seals available.

Had mine done under warranty on my 14 plate,  and the water pump went around the same time.

Thanks - I had this same issue with my MK1 Fabia VRS - So I will keep an eye out :)

11 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I'd be querying the DPF - at 26k miles in over 4 years it would seem it has done lots of short trips which won't have helped...it could be fine though.

Thanks, I have added to my questions and sent an email over :) paper trail lol

Ok change of plan ... not getting an estate now...so have put a deposit on a 2016 (16 plate) for only £1k more. It is a vRS Hatch DSG diesel in white 24k miles with the following spec - Not sure what is optional and standard ...

vRS Leather Upholstery/Heated Front Seats,

Amundsen Touchscreen Satellite Navigation System,

Sunset Glass

Black Design Package (Hatch),

Dual - Zone Air Conditioning with Humidity Sensor and Control,

Cruise Control

Acoustic Rear Parking Sensors

Electric Front and Rear Windows

18in Gemini Anthracite Alloy Wheels

Xenon Headlights

Edited by daveface
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daveface said:

Ok change of plan ... not getting an estate now...so have put a deposit on a 2016 (16 plate) for only £1k more. It is a vRS Hatch DSG diesel in white 24k miles with the following spec - Not sure what is optional and standard ...

vRS Leather Upholstery/Heated Front Seats,

Amundsen Touchscreen Satellite Navigation System,

Sunset Glass

Black Design Package (Hatch),

Dual - Zone Air Conditioning with Humidity Sensor and Control,

Cruise Control

Acoustic Rear Parking Sensors

Electric Front and Rear Windows

18in Gemini Anthracite Alloy Wheels

Xenon Headlights

Nice one! Leather + heated, Sunset Glass (tinted windows), black design pack are all options. Rest is standard but they are well kitted out anyway so it has everything you need! :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renton said:

How much is this costing you just out of interest??

We have agreed a price of £16,500 - From my research this seems about right from a main dealers??? Do you think this sounds reasonable?

Plus the other reason this is such a good deal for me, they are clearing my PCP on my old car which I'm only 18 months through a 42 month policy! So giving me £9600 for my Fabia!

Either way I'm happy with the price :) ...

15 hours ago, ahenners said:

Nice one! Leather + heated, Sunset Glass (tinted windows), black design pack are all options. Rest is standard but they are well kitted out anyway so it has everything you need! :)

Thanks - That's about what I thought :) should be lovely...I haven't actually seen it yet as I'm in Barcelona, but I am going tomorrow to view / test drive and sign hopefully :)

Just been to look at it and test drive it! Lovely :) Really pleased, so as soon as I get my V5 back for my current car I will be picking the new one up! Hopefully late on Thursday.

One question, the steering wheel was a little shiny, I would love to clean it to get it back to looking matt, any recommendations on wipes or cleaner? 

Cheers :) 

11 hours ago, daveface said:

Just been to look at it and test drive it! Lovely :) Really pleased, so as soon as I get my V5 back for my current car I will be picking the new one up! Hopefully late on Thursday.

One question, the steering wheel was a little shiny, I would love to clean it to get it back to looking matt, any recommendations on wipes or cleaner? 

Cheers :) 

I use Autoglym leather cleaner - have quite a few Autoglym products and they seem good. Though if I'm being lazy I'll sometimes wipe it over with some unscented baby wipes.