Drop Links

garibaldy

Our 56 plate 1.2HTP just failed it's MoT due to worn drop links on both sides.

EuroCarParts are doing TRW drop links p/n 650441406 for £16.24 each with "blackfriday" code. Anybody used these or recommend an alternative? Is it an easy DIY job? 

Cheers!

Edited by garibaldy

Not used the TRW ones, they normally stock Lemforder which are good quality and would be my preference.

Easy enough job to do yourself so long as you have the tools so you can do it safely i.e. axle stands and a proper jack. Wheel off and there are only two nuts on each end of the droplink, usually rusty so can seize up, plenty of penetrating fluid before hand on them so they come off easier. Some of the bolts on the droplinks have a allen key head inside them, whilst others have a flat surfaces behind next to the bush to hold the bolt whilst you remove the nut otherwise they tend to spin. If you have an angel grinder you can just cut through the nut and bolt to remove. The ABR will move when you remove the droplink. You can usually do one side by hand but the other will normally need a bit more strength so use the trolley jack to raise it.

The hole job will take around an hour from start to finish if you want the garage to do it. 

That was for the fronts. Rears you maybe do without removing the wheels so could be quicker but the bottom of the droplink is usually accessed through the suspension arm so you'll not be cut them off.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWARD said:

That was for the fronts. Rears you maybe do without removing the wheels so could be quicker but the bottom of the droplink is usually accessed through the suspension arm so you'll not be cut them off.

There are no drop links at the rear.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TMB said:

There are no drop links at the rear.

I don't have a Fabia so just giving general advice. Assume the rear ARB bolts direct to the hubs then.

Just now, CWARD said:

I don't have a Fabia so just giving general advice. Assume the rear ARB bolts direct to the hubs then.

They don't have a rear ARB. You can buy aftermarket ones though.

• Like 1

Never knew that.

My brother bought the Fabia VRS special edition when it came out. Drove it around a few times but never got to work on it or I may have noticed it.   

2 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

Lots of small cars and indeed some larger ones like the golf mk4 do not have a rarb. Its the solid rear axle which does the job (not very well)

It's not solid, it's a torsion beam so it twists as well.

• Thanks 1

I've always found car parts 4 less  lower in price (  especially at the weekend with their weekend discounts) than most others. Add in free delivery ( but I feel their standard delivery a bit of a blackmail with delivery up to 7 days whereas for almost £2 more you can get 48hr delivery)