Looking for a fast(ish) SD card - why has the price of memory rocketed?

john999boy

As the new car delivery date is imminent, I thought I'd better get another SD card in preparation and sort out what music I'd like to have there.

I thought it should be easy enough as I'd previously bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme C10 U3 card from Amazon for only £25 last December - only to find they are priced at £60 now! :sweat:

Either the previous price was extremely good or the current price is extremely bad but I'd ideally like to not pay that amount so has anyone got any recommendations for a cheaper version that doesn't have a too slow write speed?

Could be wrong but wouldnt be surprised if the increase is partly down to the same reason gpu's are getting more expensive.. people bulk buying them for building bitcoin mining towers..

1 hour ago, Gissin said:

£40 for a Toshiba one on amazon

£36 on ebay (micro)

I didn't spot that likely candidate. Don't think I'll risk ebay for a memory purchase though. Maybe will leave it until I see what (hopefully) tomorrow brings! :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

It's cos of Brexit.........

Does that mean Lee will have some additional input too? ;)

2 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Does that mean Lee will have some additional input too? ;)

You get the ultimate choice - take it or leave it

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

As the new car delivery date is imminent, I thought I'd better get another SD card in preparation and sort out what music I'd like to have there.

I thought it should be easy enough as I'd previously bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme C10 U3 card from Amazon for only £25 last December - only to find they are priced at £60 now! :sweat:

Either the previous price was extremely good or the current price is extremely bad but I'd ideally like to not pay that amount so has anyone got any recommendations for a cheaper version that doesn't have a too slow write speed?

Check you're not selecting frustration free packaging which is more expensive ;)

4 hours ago, john999boy said:

I'd have thought it should have been the other way round but in this instance the price is the same. :thumbup:

They do this ahead of a price drop, when stock is low or demand is high. 

I got one for around £25 less than a month ago after it being higher a few days before. 

Could be it's going to be a black Friday/week deal. 

6 minutes ago, john999boy said:

The price didn't drop further on Black Friday so went for this. 

Couldn't seem to find the ones GM mentioned but maybe they were lower spec? 

If they were warehouse deals they usually go fast. 

Same product either returns or slightly damaged packaging, but usually package damage is minimal 

• Thanks 1

Exchange rates, manufacturers cutting back since they were oversupplying previously and bigger demand for flash memory chips and production facilities.