Electric tailgate intermittent problem

ChrisRJ

Hi, my 2014 Elegance estate has started to sometimes not operate from the button by the gear lever or remote. Sometimes it works as it should, sometimes it gives a few short beeps but doesn't move. This can be either opening or closing. It can even close properly after failing to open automatically and having to be manually opened. As in my topic title it is intermittent, it can work fine for a few days then play up. The load cover will roll back even if the tailgate doesn't lift by motor power. To me this indicates either a loose connection somewhere or a fault with whatever controls it. I am assuming that the short beeps are some kind of warning or message, they aren't the same beeps as when it opens as it should, they are shorter.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

My 2 cents...

I would think your struts are on the way out.

Mine went the same way, a few issues every now and then, a new ignition cycle would sort it.

Then it no longer sorted.

VCDS didn't show any faults in any scans prior to complete failure and even after the failure it took some time to register anything.

The load cover doesn't work electronically as far as i know. You can activate or deactivate the big rubber lug through the MFD settings so if it's in the active position, manual opening still trips the cover. Deactivating it should stop it.

This kind of function is a good sign for a failure. There is a major engineering fail in the strut. The seals wear down and the moisture/dirt get in. There is two hal sensors in the strut. Other one measures the force when opening snd the other when closing. These sensors are there to prevent someone or something getting squeezed between the tailgate and vehicle or hammering your tailgate while opening it in thigth space. It is a safety feature.

You could try spraying a connector cleaner in to the strut when the tailgate is fully open.

• 4 weeks later...

Just gave a connector cleaner bath to the failing strut yesterday. I dissmanteled it from the car and sprayed cleaner in to it. Make sure that you have some kind of support for the lid. One strut won't keep the lid up. After couple of hours I turned upside down it so the excessive cleaner would run out. Today I installed it and it has worked so far.

There should have been a washer seal in the telescope tube all along so the water and other stuff would not have a clear access to the motor. 

I have noticed that when the weather is rainy etc. and you open the boot the water will run down to the telescope tube.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I would agree it’s your struts. I had exactly the same we’re they would just beep away to themselves. 

The garage quoted me over a grand as they need to be replaced as a pair. But before getting the work done I was rear ended so the entire boot mechanism was replaced including the struts. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am on the second set of electric struts, and if they go again I'm converting them to manual!

Sometimes the boot won't open due to dirt or the temperature making the boot seals sticky. I hope that is your problem as the replacement option is expensive!

Good luck.

The boot has now failed completely, it won't open or close using either the key fob or the button by the gear lever. Luckily I purchased a years warranty when I bought the car (secondhand from an independent) so have spoken to them and it's booked in Weds next week at a local VAG independent for diagnosis, will report back on that. My previous MkII had an electric tailgate and I never had a problem with it in over 100,000 miles.

My latest...

Had it diagnosed by 2 Skoda dealers.

First one said struts are buggered.

Purchased new struts (electric servo motors) during a boxing day sale. Almost 2 for 1!

Installed but still failed to operate.

Dealer number 2 now says possibly wiring or control module, but can't be sure. I complain that their diagnostics are are infantile. I knew all this from my VCDS.

Waiting on new control module...

Make sure you get new struts and control module.

Had a mate go in for new struts on his MY16.

They said struts ok. Control module faulty. Everything replaced under warranty.

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem with my tailgate, intermittently not working, would release from the key fob and interior button but wouldn't fully open.

Released both struts, at the tailgate end only, supporting the tailgate and laid the the struts down, then pressed the tailgate button, could clearly see one strut spinning OK but the other (offside) clicking and stopping, obviously this was the culprit. It's clear that only one working strut can't either open or close the tailgate.

Now for a replacement, Skoda about £350 each, must be another way! Checked eBay in both UK and Germany by using the part number search and a couple of used ones appeared on the German eBay site for just over £150 for 2 struts delivered to the UK, got to be worth a gamble? They arrived within 3 days and both were working, result!

I had already removed the interior trim from the C pillar, the trim clips (metal type springs)  were very tight and the wiring could been seen, two connectors and the strut loom identified by being wrapped in black fabric loom tape.

Just fitted and everything back to normal, fully operational tailgate!!

Edited by coppertop
Mistyped
  • Like 2

Mine was diagnosed as a fault with the control unit, replaced under the warranty I got with the car, very glad I didn't have to pay as was £500 all in with labour!!

I grabbed a couple of those from ebay too coppertop, but mine were found to be faulty so i sent them back. Good luck to you!

Ended up getting new struts and control module.

I was pretty p*ssed that Skoda couldn't diagnose that the control module was faulty first time. They wanted the car for 3 days to 'acurately diagnose'

Jebus!

I got the parts from NZ and had my local Euro guy put them in.

Struts were easy, control module required half the car to be pulled apart.

Good build quality on the Superb!

• 4 years later...

Hello guys.Today I got same ereor with electrical trunk opening/closing only three beeps.I run a diagnostics and there was afault of Hall sensor on Strut nimber 2-right one.I decided firstly to check if rhe wire in the rubber hose is not broken and voila,cable was broken.I made a connection there,made isolation and everything is running well.

So if you have the Hall sensor problem,not everytime it means strut to replace.

58B7D96D-FEAA-46D4-A85C-78D37B76C246.jpeg