Kick down not shifting gear up

Aziz85

Hello, i need help, i have skoda octavia mk1 2001 model, it run smoothly without any problems, shifting gears smothly in the normal drive mode, but when i press the gas paddle to the floor, it shifts down normal and the rpm goes to 5100 rpm and stay without shifting up the next gear

please help i checked the engine and they say it is fine 

is it normal regarding octavia system? 

What is the problem? 

My rpm doesn't go more than 5100 rpm on kick down mode

If you can give me the 3 letter engine code to your car, I will try to get you some info on this, failing that, at least an engine size and vehicle trim spec i.e 1.6 comfort, 2.0 l&k, but engine code is most accurate way.

To be honest though, the basic things to start with on any auto box fault are fluid level check, and a scan for any gearbox codes with something like VCDS. This will be the start point to build from and go from there as most of the box functions are hydraulic, so oil level is quite critical.

Hope it helps

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kentphil1 said:

If you can give me the 3 letter engine code to your car, I will try to get you some info on this, failing that, at least an engine size and vehicle trim spec i.e 1.6 comfort, 2.0 l&k, but engine code is most accurate way.

To be honest though, the basic things to start with on any auto box fault are fluid level check, and a scan for any gearbox codes with something like VCDS. This will be the start point to build from and go from there as most of the box functions are hydraulic, so oil level is quite critical.

Hope it helps

My engine code is AEH305647 it is octavia comfort 1.6 

Edited by Aziz85

Some basic info on your gearbox, as you can see in the manual, the box change points adapt to your driving after a period of "learning" how you drive, so a code scan would be your first action after having a check on the transmission oil level.

Self-diagnosis
Function of Self-diagnosis
The control of the automatic gearbox is electronic/hydraulic.
The term “self-diagnosis” is related to this electric/electronic control.
Control unit -J217- with driving situation circuits (Fuzzy Logic)
The gear-change point is determined automatically, according to driving conditions and road resistance.
Advantages:
l  Fuel economy.
l  The maximum engine power is always available.
l  Gear-change points are adapted to suit particular road conditions.
l  Gear-change points changed as required.
Gear-change points change on upward and downward gradients
On upward or downward gradients, gear-changes are selected automatically by additional gear-change mapping, according to accelerator position and driving speed.
l  On steep gradients, gear-change mapping is adapted to engine power output.
l  On steep gradients, gear-change mapping is adapted to the braking effect of the engine.
Functions of gearbox control unit
The automatic gearbox control unit -J217- receives information from components that influence the shift controls and sends this information to the solenoid valves with which the piston slide valves are controlled in the slide valve body.
The control unit for the automatic gearbox -J217- is equipped with a fault memory to be able to rapidly determine the origin of the damage if an electric/electronic component fails or in the event of a line interruption. Faults are detected by eletric signals and are stored in the fault memory.
Electrical faults that influence the driveability can be determined with the vehicle system tester -V.A.G 1552-, -V.A.G 1551 - or -VAS 5051-.
  Note
t  The description which follows relates to the vehicle system tester -V.A.G 1552- using program card 5.0 or higher version.
t  The use of vehicle diagnosis, measurement and information system -VAS 5051- and the fault read-out scan tool -V.A.G 1551 - with integrated printer is similar. A minor deviation on the display read-out is possible.
Overview of selectable functions → Chapter.
Safety functions of the gearbox control unit
If there are critical faults when driving the gearbox must be operated in emergency running mode and you can drive on. If the malfunction occurs in “D”, “3”, or “2”, the 3rd gear emergency running mode is activated.
If the malfunction occurs in “1”,“P”, “N” or “R” the emergency running mode for the respective gear is activated.
After restarting in the emergency running mode and when the malfunction occurs (if the selector lever is in the selector lever position “D”, “3” or “2”) the 3rd gear is activated hydraulically until the fault has been rectified.
Faults that may result in emergency running mode: The gearbox will be activated in emergency running mode until the fault is no longer detected by the control unit over a given period of time.
Faults that may result in emergency running mode:
Line interruption, short-circuit, defective electric or hydraulic components.
Fault recognition of the gearbox control unit
If there is a fault, it is stored as a static (present) fault. If the fault is not indicated for a given time or over a certain driving distance it becomes a sporadic fault.
Faults, which are stored in the fault memory as sporadically existing faults, can be displayed as “sporadically occurring faults” during fault interrogation. “SP” appears on the right of the display.
Faults, which are stored as sporadically existing faults in the fault memory, are automatically erased after a driving distance of 1000 km or 20 hours driving time.

• Confused 1

In which case, I would contact a local vehicle reparer to you to do some diagnosis on your behalf, and to get them to give you some idea of the repair costs involved.

A 2001 vehicle in the UK would not have a very high used value, so anything betond a sensor or an oil change would render it highly likely to be uneconomical to repair, but used values in your country may be stronger, making it a more repairable proposition.

Hope it helps

• Thanks 1

I live in Syria, 2001 cars are not that old since we have no cars importation during the war there, and even the used car are expensive, if i can diagnose the problem thats means it is solved. 

The car status more detailed, 

the car run smoothly in normal drive mode shifting gears up and down smoothly. 

Only the kickdown mode makes the car stays on the current gear not shifting up even at 5100 rpm untill i pull out the paddle to the middle 

@Aziz85 - Based on your last I'm fairly sure that the problem is with the kickdown controls or the fluid level.

Before proceeding with anything else check the fluid level and top up if required. If this behaviour still persists after a fluid top up or the fluid level is correct, then I'd suspect the kickdown cable needs adjusting. This is too complex for me to try and describe on an internet forum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Aziz85 - Based on your last I'm fairly sure that the problem is with the kickdown controls or the fluid level.

Before proceeding with anything else check the fluid level and top up if required. If this behaviour still persists after a fluid top up or the fluid level is correct, then I'd suspect the kickdown cable needs adjusting. This is too complex for me to try and describe on an internet forum.

Dear Ken, thanks a lot i will work on your advice definitely, just i would like to be sure if you mean engine fluid or gear box fluid, 

2- i can send you a video over whatsapp or FB or via email 

Ken is refering to what I also suggested to you earlier that you check your Transmission fluid level - see here for more info - http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk1/power_transmission/automatic_gearbox_01m/automatic_gearbox_control_assembly_housing/inspect_atf_level_if_necessary_top_up/inspecting_atf_level/

• Thanks 1