Hello everyone & r'reet.

lancpudn

Hello my name is Ian and I've been looking around for another car to replace my old faithful Rover 75 (stop s******ing at the back :biggrin:) I'm at present scouring the car ads for a Superb model, Not sure of which model to go for yet but it must have the Sat-Nav.

As an older guy I like the style and size of the Superb.

I'm looking forward to reading up about the Superb model on this forum and hopefully gaining some knowledge on which is the best model to choose.

I've been out of the loop on modern cars for decades as I've been primarily driving old cars, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth these days and the days of working underneath old cars is getting harder & harder. A lot of the new terminology is new and alien to me and a little daunting if I'm honest.

I'm hoping to buy something outright around the 2010/11 Superb model, I've never owned a diesel car before and I'm still trying to get to grips with this DPF /Regen malarkey :wondering:

Thank you for taking the time to listen to a newbie on this forum.

Ian.:)

• Like 1

Hi Ian, welcome.  Certainly lots to read up on here.  Ask anything you want to know although most issues have been covered at this stage especially on the Superb II.  Do you need to buy a diesel?  Although many are diesel, there are good petrol options out there as well.

17 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

Hi Ian, welcome.  Certainly lots to read up on here.  Ask anything you want to know although most issues have been covered at this stage especially on the Superb II.  Do you need to buy a diesel?  Although many are diesel, there are good petrol options out there as well.

Thanks, that's a good question, I've never owned a diesel before and I'm not sure if I do enough mileage to warrant one, since retiring my mileage is under 10 thousand a year. I shall be weighing up after some research which Superb model suits me best.

31 minutes ago, lancpudn said:

Thanks, that's a good question, I've never owned a diesel before and I'm not sure if I do enough mileage to warrant one, since retiring my mileage is under 10 thousand a year. I shall be weighing up after some research which Superb model suits me best.

With that sort of mileage, I would stay clear of a diesel, unless you have a specific reason for having one.  Do you tow?  Leaving aside DPF issues, it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense economically with sub 10K miles a year unless you got an amazing deal on a diesel.  You could get a nice refined petrol model that would do a good job.  Coupled with the DSG gearbox, one of the petrol models would make a fine cruiser.  There were some issues with the 7 speed dry clutch DSG gearbox (found on some of the petrol models (around 2012 or thereabouts) but that has since been resolved.  You'll come across all that on the forum anyway.

If you do want to go diesel, go for the 2.0 140bhp or 170bhp TDi.  I've had two 170s and loved them.  There are also lower powered diesel models in 1.6 (common rail) and 1.9 TDi (PD) guises - both give the same overall power output and torque but the delivery is smoother on the 1.6.  If refinement is high up on your list I would avoid the 1.9 as it can be more unrefined - the 1.9 was replaced with the 1.6 around early 2011.

In terms of spec, try to go for the Elegance model if you want top spec.  This has everything you'll need - sat nav, full leather, xenon lights, heated seats/mirrors, basically electric everything but make sure it all works of course. L&K is top spec but is rarer with a few more toys again but the Elegance is all you need.  Nothing wrong with an SE though and every model has decent spec.  A word on the sat nav, its okay but there are better systems out there and these days nothing beats google maps or the latest phone apps.  I always found it a little clunky but better than nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superb170 said:

With that sort of mileage, I would stay clear of a diesel, unless you have a specific reason for having one.  Do you tow?  Leaving aside DPF issues, it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense economically with sub 10K miles a year unless you got an amazing deal on a diesel.  You could get a nice refined petrol model that would do a good job.  Coupled with the DSG gearbox, one of the petrol models would make a fine cruiser.  There were some issues with the 7 speed dry clutch DSG gearbox (found on some of the petrol models (around 2012 or thereabouts) but that has since been resolved.  You'll come across all that on the forum anyway.

If you do want to go diesel, go for the 2.0 140bhp or 170bhp TDi.  I've had two 170s and loved them.  There are also lower powered diesel models in 1.6 (common rail) and 1.9 TDi (PD) guises - both give the same overall power output and torque but the delivery is smoother on the 1.6.  If refinement is high up on your list I would avoid the 1.9 as it can be more unrefined - the 1.9 was replaced with the 1.6 around early 2011.

In terms of spec, try to go for the Elegance model if you want top spec.  This has everything you'll need - sat nav, full leather, xenon lights, heated seats/mirrors, basically electric everything but make sure it all works of course. L&K is top spec but is rarer with a few more toys again but the Elegance is all you need.  Nothing wrong with an SE though and every model has decent spec.  A word on the sat nav, its okay but there are better systems out there and these days nothing beats google maps or the latest phone apps.  I always found it a little clunky but better than nothing.

Thanks for the great advice, That's really helpful in helping me choose a Skoda.

1 hour ago, lancpudn said:

Thanks for the great advice, That's really helpful in helping me choose a Skoda.

Also, if you are looking back around 2011, the 140 tdi switched from a PD (noisier/less refined but possible easier to remap) to a common rail (CR) around early 2011 as well.  If you’re feeling really adventurous and don’t mind running costs, bear in mind the 3.6 V6 4x4 petrol for the ultimate sleeper car :).  Rare enough to find though, for obvious reasons. Good luck with the search and enjoy the research!

Hello Lancpudu welcome to the forum good to have you with us go for the petrol its only a matter of time they will be nailing diesel to the cross.:crying:

Edited by JED

10 hours ago, JED said:

Hello Lancpudu welcome to the forum good to have you with us go for the petrol its only a matter of time they will be nailing diesel to the cross.:crying:

Hello Jed thanks for the welcome, After some more reading on the matter the petrol model is looking better suited for me, As much as I'd like to try a diesel I just don't really warrant one with the mileage I do, I checked the mileage on my MOT last night and my old Rover hasn't covered 10K in three years :o

I really thought I covered more miles than that.:blush So a petrol model it will be in the coming  months.:)