Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

Hi

Any hope we could see a sample file of the speed camera stuff needed. I'm not at all confident I'll be able to do this, and if I fork out £20 and can't, then I'd be a bit miffed. Please don't get me wrong - happy to pay the annual £20 if it works but this forum is full of stuff that works for one car and not the other. Inexplicable differences between seemingly same models. I've got an early '17 plate Superb estate SEL-Exec. Ta.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jimcallaghan said:

Hi

Any hope we could see a sample file of the speed camera stuff needed. I'm not at all confident I'll be able to do this, and if I fork out £20 and can't, then I'd be a bit miffed. Please don't get me wrong - happy to pay the annual £20 if it works but this forum is full of stuff that works for one car and not the other. Inexplicable differences between seemingly same models. I've got an early '17 plate Superb estate SEL-Exec. Ta.

Unfortunately the files are 'marked' and sharing them is against PGPSW ToS (understandably). Any member who shares camera files loses their membership and is banned for life. While there are variances in cars in some regards, the Columbus will accept properly formatted POI no issue, and many forum members have followed this process with no problems (outside of occasional technical ineptitude which was corrected with extra help from others). I can only suggest you give it a go.

35 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Unfortunately the files are 'marked' and sharing them is against PGPSW ToS (understandably). Any member who shares camera files loses their membership and is banned for life. While there are variances in cars in some regards, the Columbus will accept properly formatted POI no issue, and many forum members have followed this process with no problems (outside of occasional technical ineptitude which was corrected with extra help from others). I can only suggest you give it a go.

Fair point well made. Ta. I'm gonna give it a stab. 

Will let you know how I get on.

EDIT: Tried it and failed. Columbus searches for updates.

I popped in the SD and screen said 'update available'
Set it off to do the update, searched for ages

Error: No data available. Please insert a software source with software update.

Been through each step carefully. Shame that - would be handy.

Ta.

Edited by jimcallaghan
ADDING

To whoever is reading. I had some troubles with this and went through a lot of trial & error. I went back and downloaded the files again, formatting the SD card repeatedly. Sometimes my car will find the POI files, sometimes it won't. I don't think there's anything wrong with the process, as long as you meet the prerequisites.

Maybe I was doing something wrong? I am quite methodical and fastidious. I didn't want to break anything. Suffice to say I persevered and got it working, but I wish I could tell you what the issue was...

Glad you got it sorted Jim. Could be a flaky SD card or hidden files (system volume information etc, if Windows) causing some issues perhaps. I do this every week for UK and EU cams and never have any issues these days, so probably just a mis-step or Gremlins as I said over PM. Either way you're up and away now so enjoy the peace of mind. Cheers. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rainmaker,

Thanks a lot, I've been trying to do it for a few days now and your instruction helped me a lot.

There is one thing - when I went to the update version menu, it took a very long time, after some 7 minutes of looking for updates, I went back. I went to the import destinations menu and from there it went fast.

1 hour ago, PL_spider said:

Rainmaker,

Thanks a lot, I've been trying to do it for a few days now and your instruction helped me a lot.

There is one thing - when I went to the update version menu, it took a very long time, after some 7 minutes of looking for updates, I went back. I went to the import destinations menu and from there it went fast.

Not something I’ve ever encountered but I’m glad you managed to follow the guide and get it working ok mate. 

Thanks, Rainmaker, great guide.  One question. The PersonalPOI download has three subfolders, MIB2DE, MIB2HIGH and MIBTSD. Each of these subfolders contains a metainfo2.txt file. Do you delete these and replace them with your Skoda version or leave them as there are? 

Just now, MikeFirenze said:

Thanks, Rainmaker, great guide.  One question. The PersonalPOI download has three subfolders, MIB2DE, MIB2HIGH and MIBTSD. Each of these subfolders contains a metainfo2.txt file. Do you delete these and replace them with your Skoda version or leave them as there are? 

Thanks Mike. :thumbup:  You only delete/replace the one metainfo2.txt file that is outside of (or 'next to') the folder. You leave the others as they are. I hope you had a great Christmas, enjoy what's left of the festivities.

Cheers.

Worked fine for me too. I then tried the same thing for my wife's VW GDT. The metafile from the VW website POI creator failed when I tried to load it. Replaced it with your Skoda metafile and it worked fine as well. Great job Rainmaker!

• Like 1

hi rainmaker:rain:

well done mate,great guide,and it definately works,its a bit long winded to set up,but worth the while.and to anyone else who wants to set up speed cameras on there system,this guide is spot on and really easy to complete.

there is a flaw though....lol:sadsmile:.....after having downloaded the speed camera files onto the sytem,i decided to add some more Pois.i downloaded the caravan club site files and went through the same process as the guide and they were configured exactly the same,spot on i thought.

i inserted the sd card,it picked them up and installed them,brilliant i thought.....looked for them on the system,ticked them ....oops...wheres the speed cameras?????.

beware,if you install any other pois after installing the first set,the second set overwrite the first set,therefore deleting them.only way round this looks like configuring everything together in one batch...ie cameras caravan,caravanand camping etc etc,which can be done as i've tried it and it works.

looks like i'll have to update the cameras only...or...go through the process with everything again ,is there anyway round this problem?????

Hi @klarky

That's a very good point mate, I forgot about that little quirk. I'll update the guide later when I get chance, to include that info for future reference. AFAIK there's no way around that particular issue except to include all POIs when you update the cameras (i.e. to re-add the others even though they've not changed, else you lose them). 

hi jim,

it really is very simple,just remember at the end, to substitute the metainfo text file created by the programme,for the one you download at the end of the guide.once downloaded,put it in a folder so you can copy and paste onto the usb,sd card you use to put the pois on your system,that way its always there.

• 3 weeks later...

Put speed cameras on the columbus system on my 190 4x4 as per above instructions - took 3 goes and a change of SD card but got there in the end and works brilliantly - just wondering if when pocket gps updates the cameras do we have to go through the same process again to update ours ??

41 minutes ago, Treborgonzo said:

Put speed cameras on the columbus system on my 190 4x4 as per above instructions - took 3 goes and a change of SD card but got there in the end and works brilliantly - just wondering if when pocket gps updates the cameras do we have to go through the same process again to update ours ??

Yes it’s the same process each time. Don’t worry you soon learn how to do it, I can update mine in less than five minutes from start to finish. It seems worse than it is when you first start lol. 

Many thanks for this Rainmaker; I've only had my 280 sportline ex-demo for a couple of weeks and I'm normally a pretty sedate driver. In this car it's very easy to inadvertently stray above the speed limit. I paid my £20, followed your instructions and now my Columbus handily displays camera locations. Thanks again for clear, succinct and accurate instructions. 

• Like 1

What a great guide...  before I follow it, I'm wondering if anyone has done this using the "upload" feature on Skoda Connect, as my car has the internet/connectivity pack with SIM card etc and you can, in theory, do this from the skoda connect portal.    Interested to know if anyone has experience of making it work by that route?   If not, I guess I will have to give it a go and share my experiences.. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...