TSI oil change

The finance is VW Groups.

They are a Borrower of money, there major share holder being Qatar (14.6&),

they borrow money, lend money, and sell their product often to them selves, 

they are bankers, money lenders and pyramid sellers to businesses they own or franchise, then they supply used cars after they have sold them first as new cars.

The Cars out to a Showroom until first registered, money out on Demonstrators registered to Main Dealerships or a Finance Directror or some other named person.

If the Dealership Group or Dealership have money and 'Buy' their cars they are un-usual and differerent from those that have 'Stock' financed by CW Group. 

Like maybe Dealers with 'Used' vehicles financed by BCA (British Car Auctions.) They land money for Dealers to buy at Auction.

Yes VW Group own cars that are 'Leased' Lease Companies, to Fleet users, Hire Car Companies, Utility Companies, and that are Leased via Dealerships with VE Finance, and Dealers Contributions Manufacturers Contributions made, and returned to Dealerships to go In Trade and Sold via the VW, Skoda, Audi, SEAT Francished Dealership network. 

'Management cars' that does not make them.

http://fleeteurope.com/en/blog/leaseplan-sale-good-news 

Edited by AwaoffSki

Ok - this is what is showing on my car (2017 2.0TDI 190 DSG) re service requirement.

image.png.aa65bb7d6bc460f6e0f5de386a841b38.png

I believe the dealer I bought it from changed it from variable to fixed as part of the PDI (I suspect to 6 months / 3,000 miles). As I said, I don't mind that as I want the oil service carried out ASAP and it is booked in in 2 weeks for this.

But I do want to make sure my local dealer actually puts in the long-life oil and changes it back to variable as I do far too many miles to have it back in there every 10,000. Is there anything I can do to check on the day that this has been done? For example, if it is on the variable service schedule does the "or xxx days" bit in the oil change service section disappear? I'd be grateful if someone who is definitely on variable could have a look at what it says on their car and let me know. Thanks in advance.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:04, BriskodaJeff said:

Ok - this is what is showing on my car (2017 2.0TDI 190 DSG) re service requirement.

image.png.aa65bb7d6bc460f6e0f5de386a841b38.png

I believe the dealer I bought it from changed it from variable to fixed as part of the PDI (I suspect to 6 months / 3,000 miles). As I said, I don't mind that as I want the oil service carried out ASAP and it is booked in in 2 weeks for this.

But I do want to make sure my local dealer actually puts in the long-life oil and changes it back to variable as I do far too many miles to have it back in there every 10,000. Is there anything I can do to check on the day that this has been done? For example, if it is on the variable service schedule does the "or xxx days" bit in the oil change service section disappear? I'd be grateful if someone who is definitely on variable could have a look at what it says on their car and let me know. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it should say just over 2 years and around 18,000 miles (30,000 km) for oil change service. If it says around 1 year and 10,000 miles it is on fixed servicing.  Note that fixed vs variable only applies to the oil change service, not the inspection service.

Of course what you won't know is what oil they put in!

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Of course what you won't know is what oil they put in!

If they reset it to variable service interval and put in the wrong oil (as happened to me), within a couple of hundred miles you will notice the next oil change due mileage coming down much quicker. The oil sensor picks it up. IIRC after around 300 miles the oil change due came down from 18600 to around 16000 and dropping further every few miles. Dealer admitted to putting in Quantum Platinum (502) instead of Longlife iii (504).

4 minutes ago, xman said:

If they reset it to variable service interval and put in the wrong oil (as happened to me), within a couple of hundred miles you will notice the next oil change due mileage coming down much quicker. The oil sensor picks it up. IIRC after around 300 miles the oil change due came down from 18600 to around 16000 and dropping further every few miles. Dealer admitted to putting in Quantum Platinum (502) instead of Longlife iii (504).

I am not convinced about this. It might be just because the 30,000km is the maximum, and unless your driving style and usage is "perfect", the remaining mileage will inevitably decrease faster than you are driving. Bear in mind that talk of some kind of oil quality sensor is a myth. The oil sensor is a level and temperature sensor only. The ECU calculates the expected oil life by looking at the temperature profile - and a whole lot of other driving factors too. This is borne out by the VCDS setting. It is called "good quality oil" or "bad quality oil", as opposed to fixed servicing or variable servicing. But it is changing this good or bad oil quality parameter that switches the system to fixed or variable. If the system was capable of determing the actual oil quality, it wouldn't be necessary to tell the system the oil quality!

Perhaps you just challenged the dealer and his guilt made him fess up! 

No, the car had been on variable service before and always ran to 18600 because of the daily 80 mile run. There is an oil quality sensor, it is not a myth, look under the sump pan and you can see where it is installed. It measures permittivity (related to dielectric constant), this is a unique quantity to 504/507 and 508/509 spec oils and that's how it knows the wrong oil is in the sump. It also measures viscosity, temperature and level.

A complex algorithm takes this information along with driving style, cold starts, power profile etc and calculates a real time estimate to next service.

Oil_Level_Sensor_SGM110_en_0404fin.pdf

54 minutes ago, xman said:

No, the car had been on variable service before and always ran to 18600 because of the daily 80 mile run. There is an oil quality sensor, it is not a myth, look under the sump pan and you can see where it is installed. It measures permittivity (related to dielectric constant), this is a unique quantity to 504/507 and 508/509 spec oils and that's how it knows the wrong oil is in the sump. It also measures viscosity, temperature and level.

A complex algorithm takes this information along with driving style, cold starts, power profile etc and calculates a real time estimate to next service.

Oil_Level_Sensor_SGM110_en_0404fin.pdf

We've been around this loop before. Do you have any evidence that this SGM110 is actually installed in our cars? And you will note from the pdf you linked to, that it says "is developing" which suggests it's not yet in producution - if it ever worked!

Anyway, if it is as clever as they make out, why does the car have to be told what sort of oil is put in? Of course my car is 2016, maybe the latest ones are different?

Edited by nicknorman

18 minutes ago, xman said:

Clearly visible on both our 1.2 tsi engines. Ive seen them other tsi engines as I am a diy servicer. Heres some pics.

3.jpg.f56c70e92941d52b046130a5d0e823b9.jpg

TB2.thumb.jpg.e2b2b9010e6b322c00a167aa449cd59e.jpg

Yes that is the sensor for oil temperature and level. I have seen no reference to the type of sensor you mention in any Skoda technical documentation. Granted, they have a similar shape, but that doesn't mean it is the Bosch "under development" sensor you linked to. Browsing VCDS, I have seen no parameters relating to the esoteric things. The only relevant parameter seems to be something called "thermal load" which relates to the oil temperature vs driving conditions.

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks Nick and xman - really helpful (though the sensor stuff goes straight over my head I'm afraid). I will check on the day that it says 18k / 2 years, then monitor over the following 300 miles (only a couple of days driving for me so will know soon enough) to make sure it isn't coming down very quickly. My driving is all motorway / fast A road, and I don't have a heavy right foot, so would expect to be achieving at the top end of the 18k rather than the bottom.  

• 8 months later...