Dual Mass Flywheel Failing - Advice

Donbrig

Being not technically minded, I would appreciate some opinion on the current situation I have with my Skoda Superb Elegance Estate (12 reg, 56k miles, 6 speed manual, CR140 engine).

I was one of those clobbered by the Sachs clutch issue (Sachs Clutch eating gearbox) and had to get the gearbox and clutch replaced last year (Dec 2016) - paid £1500 for the pleasure with Skoda paying the rest.

Roll onto to the start of this month and suddenly I hear a clunking noise coming from the area of the gearbox when I shift up and down gear (also heard when you release the accelerator pedal).

So, into the Skoda dealership today and I now get told that there seems to be two issues causing the noise.

The first is a loose gearbox mounting and the second a possible issue with the dual mass flywheel - though that requires removal of the gearbox to confirm.

I have been quoted a potential cost of over £1000 to get the gearbox mounting sorted along with a replacement flywheel.

I have also been told that this work is not linked to the replacement of the gearbox and clutch last year and I will have to pick up the cost.

So, my question to those more technically minded out there is what are my options? - is the dealership correct in stating that the clutch/gearbox repair last year is nothing to do with the current issue and thus not covered by that repair's warranty?

Have to say this car has been a disaster as I also had to replace the battery this year along with the rear brakes (caliper failed to retract when on motorway, by time got to a safe location the brakes were toast).

Clutch and gearbox replaced last year as you say.

now you have a loose mounting, not tightened up correctly when job done ??or is it worn.

Surely they would have replaced the Dmf when clutch had gone ?? If they did then I would be saying it needs sorted at garage/skoda cost not yours

if they didn’t replace it was it cost cutting and now came back to bite them, so again I’d be asking why you have to pay.

Also what sort of mileage as the car done since it was sorted, surely not enough to put it done to worn parts

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snapper1725 said:

Clutch and gearbox replaced last year as you say.

now you have a loose mounting, not tightened up correctly when job done ??or is it worn.

Surely they would have replaced the Dmf when clutch had gone ?? If they did then I would be saying it needs sorted at garage/skoda cost not yours

if they didn’t replace it was it cost cutting and now came back to bite them, so again I’d be asking why you have to pay.

Also what sort of mileage as the car done since it was sorted, surely not enough to put it done to worn parts

Thanks for the quick response.

The car has done just over 9000 miles since the clutch/gearbox replacement - looking at that repair receipt there is no mention of the DMF being replaced or inspected and I can honestly say I never heard it mentioned at all during that fiasco. 

So pretty safe to say it is the original - looks like I need to find out if the official Skoda policy is to replace the DMF at the same time as the clutch/gearbox but how do you get that when you are dealing with the official dealer who has already told you are liable for all the repair.  Goodwill seems lacking in Skoda these days.

Bet if you went in for a new clutch they would say/recommend you need a new Dmf, you’ve paid £1500 towards a equipment failure known problem and 9000 miles later ( less then 12 months) this as happened.

i would be having a serious word to the service manager and then skoda. I would be really ****ed off.

Not up to date with Dmf apart from what I’ve read, but what I have is they say you should change them when doing the clutch

Edited by Snapper1725

Had another discussion with the dealer and they confirmed that they inspected the flywheel at the time of the clutch/gearbox repair and as no obvious damage it was not replaced as its apparently not standard practice to replace the DMF at the same time as the clutch/gearbox due to cost. 

So, it would appear that Skoda default to a cost cutting route rather than a technically advisable route when it comes to repairs.

For over 6 months that old Sachs clutch was playing up in my car (the dealer investigated the clutch at my request in May 2016 due to a noise I was hearing then - they gave the all clear then only for the whole lot to fail and get replaced last December).  So for over 6 months it could be argued the DMF was experiencing excessive vibration that has now lead to premature failure - metal fatigue et al is not going to be easily picked up in a visual check.

That history alone should be triggering a response in their systems that flags at a minimum to the Technician/dealer "advise replacement of DMF as precautionary exercise". 

Not going to get anywhere with the dealer so contacting Skoda UK now and we'll see what response I get there.

On 11/30/2017 at 21:45, Hoverurb said:

Tighten up the mounting first and see what its like to drive.  56k miles is very low for a flywheel failure.

Thanks Hoverurb.

In the end the flywheel was bust and this has been replaced - told the gearbox mount was not loose after all (hmm...).

Now in negotiation with Skoda UK to get compensation, a tale of woe for another thread - Sachs clutch eats gearbox and bank balance

• Sad 1