will these tyres work on my yeti ok or not?

Urban-Kodiaq

Have spare wheels from my old car i want to use on my yeti as they have winter tyres already fitted.

The tyres are 225/50 R18  (not the correct size for yeti but very close)

The existing are 225/50 R17.

The know the tyres should be 225/45 r18 to match the same over all size of the 17" tyres but as the winters are brand new tyres and would like to re use them.

Question

Will the cause any damage wear to the dsg running gear are anything else on the car?

I know i will gain 12mm in ride height and that the speedo will under read my 3mph at 60mph. That being a good thing!!!  Car only used on country lanes and city roads upto 60mph and only do about 25miles aday so not high mileage and no motorway use.

Any technical input / thoughts would be good please good or bad

Has anyone else run this size tyre and would you if you have a free spare set fitted with Nokians?????????

If they're all the same size then they won't cause any mechanical or sensor defects on the car as all wheels will be turning at the same ratio to each other as everything expects.
The speedo will misread however and as weasley points out, insurance may be a hurdle.

6 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

But surely the Yeti was never sold with 18” rims so they can’t be type approved for the car.

In Australia a 1” bigger wheel is ok if adjustment is made via the aspect.

If the wheels are VW Group Products they are Type Approved wheels, Tested, load rated TUV etc

and how many vehicles in the UK / EU are running wheels that never came on the model they are fitted to, but totally legal to fit

and when did tyres have to be like for like or the same size as left the factory, other than when the VED started paying attention to what the Manufacturers were fitting.

Where do you think proper off roaders would be if you did not change wheels and tyres on some, totally legally.

If you have an insurer that does not accept modifications then you need one that does, and they are in the Instance Section of this forum and at many other brokers.

TÜV Certification - Wheelwright - Alloy Wheels, Steel Wheels, Tyres, TPMS, Wholesale.mhtml

What Is TÜV Approval_ _ Fondmetal Wheels.mhtml

41.pdf

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

If the wheels are VW Group Products they are Type Approved wheels, Tested, load rated TUV etc

and how many vehicles in the UK / EU are running wheels that never came on the model they are fitted to, but totally legal to fit

and when did tyres have to be like for like or the same size as left the factory, other than when the VED started paying attention to what the Manufacturers were fitting.

Where do you think proper off roaders would be if you did not change wheels and tyres on some, totally legally.

If you have an insurer that does not accept modifications then you need one that does, and they are in the Instance Section of this forum and at many other brokers.

You ought to see the outrageous 4WD devices on our roads that take on our mountain tracks and then park beside you in the supermarket car park.

Australia is not in Europe though.

But there are plenty EU Type Approved vehicles there.

Plenty modified vehicles in Europe as well as ones VW Group build and road register and test around Europe and Show and Demonstrate.

None Factory option vehicles.

21 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

But surely the Yeti was never sold with 18” rims so they can’t be type approved for the car.

Correct, the Yeti has only been Type Approved for the fitment of 16 or 17" wheels, even if those wheels are a fitment on another VAG vehicle.

I would suggest that the OP gets the written approval of his Insurance company before he proceeds with this.

Next we will be hearing those Rally Cars that VW & Skoda run are wearing factory fitted wheels that were type approved for a Polo or Fabia.

How ABT Sportsline Models are running the Factory fit Wheels & Tyres.

http://abt-sportsline.com 

http://oponeo.co.uk/wheels-for/skoda/yeti 

Maybe how non Factory Fit Towbars or sold by them or their dealers but which are EU Approved / TUV ones can not be fitted because they were not an option fit at the car manufacturers factory.

How lowering springs or lift springs were not type approved or the Dealer Fit option ones so illegal.

The ones that Skoda Fleet can supply for Emergency Services Skoda Models in the UK.

$_86 (1).JPG

$_86 (2).JPG

20130000_04.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

All my previous skoda and seat cars have never had a problem with insurance companies as long as the size is only one size bigger or smaller.

Back to my question that was 

Will they cause any problems with the dsg running gear  etc etc

Would anyone else fit them if they had them free rather than buying another set of correct  sized tyres just for a 12mm difference and 3mph error in speed 

Today is A Dear Diary Moment, I'm actually in agreement with Graham! 

Contact your insurer, after all they are the ones that will pay out/refuse to pay out, not the people giving the advice, including me! 

Type approval is for the particular vehicle, not the brand. Would you really want someone driving a Bugatti Veronica on the public road with VW Up! brakes? 

I may be totally wrong in this (maths was never a strong point) but I think by fitting 18" wheels your speedo will over read, not under. I say this as my speedo under reads (verified by GPS) when I fit my 16" cold weather tyres, instead of my oe  17 alloys. 

As said, I may be wrong with the over reading. 

^^^ ? 

So even those without a clue might think what type approval is, and the TUV / CE Testing on VW Up! Wheels and the Tyres and Load / Speed Ratings etc.

Then the 'Veronica' or Veyron Brakes & wheels, and they might fit Veyron wheels on an Audi TTRS or even a Skoda Kodiak but not Up! wheels / tyres on one.

As many fit wider Porsche Wheels on to Skodas or VW's.  And as many fit Porsche or Audi even VW Brakes to a Skoda as an upgrade.

Would you want someone driving a Mk2 or 3 Fabia that had 215/40 R 17 wheels as standard on from the factory but with 225/35 R 18 wheels that Audi fittedat the factory  on Audi A1 Competition Sportline 105 & 122 PS cars on the same platform as the Type Approval was on for the Fabia and A1. 

It is not illegal or infringing Type Approval.

Or driving the AWD Fabia that Skoda sell to buyers for Motorsport use because they need to under Motorsport Rules for certain Competition,  which got the homologation from Audi Type Approving Audi A1 & S1 with AWD.

Same Type Approval now running from 2007 now on the Fabias sold in 2017.

As to speedo accuracy, 

Measure the actual size of what you are fitting next to what you have on.  Physical measurement of total diameter / circumference.

Maybe the difference if any will have the speedo and mileometer bang on, ie totally accurate rather than reading lower than your speed or higher than your true speed.

(As commonly happens in the real world where people check such things.)

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Edited by AwaoffSki

6 hours ago, superb-ki said:

Would anyone else fit them if they had them free rather than buying another set of correct  sized tyres just for a 12mm difference and 3mph error in speed 

I would sell the 18's and buy 16" steelies.

In the two years I used 17" cold  weather tyres on the original alloy I found, for whatever reason, the wheel arch would fill up with compacted snow and bits of debris,  and I would have to clear it out every now and again. 

I've never had that issue in the last five years of using a 16" steel wheel and CWT combo. I find the car handles/copes better in the snow and ice than with the 17" tyres.

An added benefit with the 16" tyres is they were much cheaper and easier to find than the 17's" - IIRC I got the four 16" steel wheels and tyres for approximately the same price as the four 17" tyres. 

Don't want to sell the 18" as will loose money and overall will be out of pocket after buying a set of new smaller wheels and tyres when i already have a set i am hoping to use.

Been using 18" nokian winter tyres on skoda superbs for 15 years and never had any issues with wheel arches filling with snow and debris.

Also never been stuck in snow and ice with large winter tyres even on untreated roads when the Land rover discovers on summer tyres have slid off the road i have managed to keep going... Also keep snow socks in the car.

But as i already have 18" alloys, 18" winter tyres, 18" snow socks and my insurance company has no issue with 18"s on the car just wanting to find out if it will cause any issues with the running of the car rather than why skoda never used 18" alloys when they did on over vw brands.  ( all very useful side information though)

Was just hoping to compile a list of pros and cons to using 18"s , whether there are any major issues, effects on the car etc etc

Know this forum will at some stage come up with a comment from a far more knowledgable member than me that will say either there is no problem or yes dont because x, y or z  (eg the tpm wont work or dsg sensor will hut for gears with a different tyre ratio etc etc) Just don't think i have got to that point yet.

Winter tyres still in the garage and the frosts have started this week when i leave for work at 5:30am before the road gritters get started.

So still not sure if i am going to fit them or not.  Will wait and see if there are any more comments that either stop me or not!!!!!!!!!!