Heater taking a long time to produce heat

Hi Everyone

Is it just my car, or does the manual aircon in the 1.2 TSI take forever from a cold start to produce warm air. Now I'm using the car to drive to work every day, I'm noticing it can take a good 10 mins+ at the moment to get warm air out of it - basically, not until the engine has got up to temp. Surely the heater should be capable of pumping warm air into the cabin sooner. All my previous cars have been able to. I've tried with A/C switched on and off, and with recirculation on and off, and all combinations of the two.

Trying to determine whether there's something wrong with the car or if it's all examples of this heater that take ages to heat up.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I've had both an early 2013 1.2 TSi 105 BHP Hatchback (Elegance) and 2014 1.2 TSi 105 BHP Spaceback  (SE-Tech) and both of those were producing warm air within a few minutes of starting the engine.

Admittedly both had climate control, but I recall being constantly impressed by how quickly both 105 BHP 1.2 TSi engined cars warmed up.

The same is true of the current 1.0 TSi Toledo, although my 2.0 TDi Yeti takes a relative age to blow warm air / warm up the engine oil to full operating temperature.

The maxidot allows me to see both oil temperature and coolant temperature. It takes the Yeti around 15 miles of driving before the 2 temperatures reach equilibrium, whereas the TSi cars had reached equilibrium within 3-5 miles. I realise Diesels are more "thermally efficient", but this seems somewhat less relevant when you're sat in a cold car with an outside temperature hovering around zero!

I'm also disappointed with the way the heating is working .... coming from a car with climate control, when set on auto on cold mornings the fan would not start until the car had some warm air to share, unlike current car where the fan starts immediately pumping out cold air into the passenger cabin - so I am not using the climate control and waiting until after 1 mile then switching the fan on manually! .. . (Toledo)

4 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Hi Chris

I've had both an early 2013 1.2 TSi 105 BHP Hatchback (Elegance) and 2014 1.2 TSi 105 BHP Spaceback  (SE-Tech) and both of those were producing warm air within a few minutes of starting the engine.

Admittedly both had climate control, but I recall being constantly impressed by how quickly both 105 BHP 1.2 TSi engined cars warmed up.

The same is true of the current 1.0 TSi Toledo, although my 2.0 TDi Yeti takes a relative age to blow warm air / warm up the engine oil to full operating temperature.

The maxidot allows me to see both oil temperature and coolant temperature. It takes the Yeti around 15 miles of driving before the 2 temperatures reach equilibrium, whereas the TSi cars had reached equilibrium within 3-5 miles. I realise Diesels are more "thermally efficient", but this seems somewhat less relevant when you're sat in a cold car with an outside temperature hovering around zero!

My 1.2 105  (Toledo) gets warm pretty quick, it's got climate, I leave it on all the time. I'd say within 2 miles warm air gets through.

It would seem all these things are more noticeable the colder it gets, mind you I don't commute so I'm not seeing (or feeling) the early cold starts, well not often.

19 hours ago, Smileyman said:

I'm also disappointed with the way the heating is working .... coming from a car with climate control, when set on auto on cold mornings the fan would not start until the car had some warm air to share, unlike current car where the fan starts immediately pumping out cold air into the passenger cabin - so I am not using the climate control and waiting until after 1 mile then switching the fan on manually! .. . (Toledo)

Unless you have a garage that would be exceedingly difficult - what with the ice and the car being fogged up every morning and all.

@chrisgreen it certainly sounds like a fault to me.

My 1.2 used to warm up pretty quick, it was blowing warm after about a mile. The water temp was normal inside 3 miles and the oil was warm in 5.

Edited by camelspyyder

no ice & interior misting here in my part of the country ... in fact all week I have been able to walk out the front door, jump in the car & drive ... (long may it continue) but still pretty cold, north facing coast with winds blasting in my direction ....  

On 29/11/2017 at 17:49, camelspyyder said:

@chrisgreen it certainly sounds like a fault to me.

My 1.2 used to warm up pretty quick, it was blowing warm after about a mile. The water temp was normal inside 3 miles and the oil was warm in 5.

I'm inclined to agree - I suspect the thermostat is sticking or has had it. It's going in for its service next week so will see if the extended warranty will cover replacing it, otherwise I'll get my local guys to look at it.

I have also noticed how long it takes to produce warm air - always has taken an age in this car. It doesn't have climate - 1.2 tsi 110.

Clearing a fogged-up windscreen can take a frustratingly long time. 

I also have a problem that my daughter cannot bear hot cars, but this has now manifested in her watching the temperature control dial like a hawk - she complains if it is set to anything other than fully cold (even if it's 0 deg outside!)- however I try to explain when the windscreen is fogging up that I need the warm air - I can also feel that no warm air is being produced anyway for about the first 5-10 minutes. Most mornings I'm on my own and I've driven 8 miles or so before I can feel that the air is actually warm.

I'll be interested to know if you do have a fault Chris!

• Like 1

Do you use AC? 

To clear the screen it's more important the air is dry (AC does this) rather than hot.

Drying to demist without AC is hopeless.

Also, using recirculate mode just keeps the moist air in!

How moist is your interior?

Water ingress used to be a frequent issue on these, a dehumidifier bag could help regardless.

Edited by camelspyyder

yes to all of the above. Ac is always on regardless, recirculate off and I have a demister bag although I often forget to put it on the dash at night!

The car doesn't feel particularly damp inside either. 

If I put my had in front of the dash-top vents for screen, with the blowers on full power, they have the power of a sparrow's f@rt in my opinion - always have. It's the only complaint I have with my Rapid - that the cabin ventilation system is dire. In my opinion its the only place the YGWYPF principal really manifests itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is the same (TDI sport) 

as said above it’s the Diesel engine being effeienct/slow to heat up. 

My mk5 GT TDI was the same, but that had an auxiliary heater to get the cab warm. It was quite a shock going from that to the rapid. 

I posted about it a couple of years back and the suggested solution was to get a cover for the grill vents to aid warming - but it’s ugly as sin. 

23 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

New 1.0 TSi takes less than 1/2 a mile to clear screen fully after being parked out in -3 overnight. :thumbup:

That's how it should be.

Problem still unresolved. My usually OK main dealer that did the service on Thursday decided they couldn't be arsed to investigate and simply didn't bother (they even took the diagnostic charge off my bill without a fight the moment I busted them for not actually investigating it).

Will be finding another garage to deal with it under warranty as soon as time allows (and will be taking servicing and MOT work elsewhere from now on), as the behaviour of the car is as clear as day down to a sticking thermostat.