Bit of help dpf

ssouthern

But of help hear before I fork out on a carbon clean is there any tips on how to clear it twice I've had it come on and it's managed to clear it's self but not this time on my 1.6 tri spaceback thanks 

Edited by ssouthern

A DPF can only regenerate below a certain level, if you have continued to drive the car while there has been an issue it may have got so badly blocked that it needs to be cleaned manually or replaced.

It may be that your DPF is blocked due to doing too many short runs or there may be an issue with the pressure sensor giving you false readings.

Basically what i'm saying is you may need to get the car diagnosed rather than just getting the DPF cleaned to figure out why it isn't regenerating.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd update this thread as I recently had a simlar issue.

The DPF light came on my dash when driving, usually I would drive on the motorway at high speed to clear this but foolishly carried on doing short start/stop runs and the light stayed on and never cleared. Had to take it to a garage were they found a small percentage of soot was blocked in the DPF and wouldnt burn off during the regeneration process as normal. Luckily the garage managed to reprogram the computer in the car to fool it so it thought a new DPF had been fitted. This fixed the problem as it burned off the remaining soot that had clogged it & saved me a costly repair as I was only charged £60.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Another update as I had the same issue with my DPF yet again. Same problem, DPF light staying on & wouldnt go off after a 40min motorway drive at 70mph to try and clear it. (I must admit I drove it the next day on a short journey with the DPF light still on which didnt help)

I purchased Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner & put this in the fuel tank first then filled it to the brim with diesel. Took it for a drive on the motorway in 4th gear around 55/60MPH to keep the revs high at around 2000/5000 revs to burn off any remaining soot and this eventually fixed the issue and the light went off after 30mins. Havent had any issues since and the car actually feels like it runs better. Dont know what's in this stuff but must be really strong cause it cleared the issue without needing a forced regen at a garage. Here is a link to the stuff that fixed the problem for me. https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/wynns-diesel-particulate-filter-cleaner-325-ml-555770340?gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFln0lMW49N2Pt-gzGfmI1FqFTqu9JMaufLLJNW9yxGkr8KRQApTVqBoCdBQQAvD_BwE